Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

loaner car question

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-08, 07:39 PM
greg0723
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default loaner car question

for those of had loaner cars from lexus do they give you the same car you have? I.E. is250 awd for an is 250 awd. i dont want none of thier 05's for my 08 etc.. lol. i went to toyota with my 07 camry and my loaner for that 15k service was a crappy corolla with nothing in it.

also if they give a loaner i know you have to fill it up with gas but are there any other charges? im thinking of telling them to "try" and fix the rattles in my driver seat, driver speaker on the door top samll one, and rattles in the center dash around the radio.
Old 12-16-08, 07:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by greg0723
for those of had loaner cars from lexus do they give you the same car you have? I.E. is250 awd for an is 250 awd. i dont want none of thier 05's for my 08 etc.. lol. i went to toyota with my 07 camry and my loaner for that 15k service was a crappy corolla with nothing in it.

also if they give a loaner i know you have to fill it up with gas but are there any other charges? im thinking of telling them to "try" and fix the rattles in my driver seat, driver speaker on the door top samll one, and rattles in the center dash around the radio.
You don't HAVE to get a loaner. Technically it depends on the service you are getting and how long it takes. It might also depend did you buy the car from the dealership.

Too many people think they are ENTITLED to loaners. It is a COURTESY.

You get what is available. Some dealers have ES/IS/RX as the main loaners. For some high value customers, they have the LS/GS. For a while a few dealers around teh country had IS-Fs for loaners.

Old 12-16-08, 09:12 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will probably get an ES or RX.

Usually, if they have a GS or LS in loaner service, it's only for a little bit so they can turn around and title it and put it on the used lot. It's useful if the used lot is very short of something they need. And nice for the lucky few that get it.
Old 12-16-08, 09:31 PM
IS250_6Spd
Lead Lap

As a courtesy if your service usually takes more than 4 hours they will give you a loaner. They usually got ES,IS, and RX. But remember if they got no loaners left then your out of luck buddy.
Old 12-16-08, 09:55 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Go to prestigelexus.com located in Ramsey NJ, $150 for a simple oil change, they will give u a loaner to make a Dunkin Donuts run but they have a smorgasbord of food everyday so fill up.

They give out ES, RX or IS250AWD
Old 12-16-08, 09:59 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

My dealer has about a dozen hybrid RX's. And two ES's. I am happy to get whatever they give me as both are nice.
Old 12-16-08, 10:20 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As 1SICKLEX stated, you are not ENTITLED to a 'loaner' vehicle. It is a COURTESY (which is why some carry "... Courtesy Vehicle" stickers). Courtesy vehicles are always new, no more than a year old; once they have served their purpose (usually around 20,000 miles) they are sold under 'Certified Pre-Owned'. They could very well not offer any transportation at all and leave you sitting in the lounge to live off of old magazines and stale donuts while you wait for your car. What you are given is essentially what you will drive, and if you don't approve of it then ride the courtesy shuttle: you get to sit in a roomy, pearl-white Sienna (stitched with leather!) that has giant '___ Lexus/Lexus of ____' stickers slapped all over it for the mass amount of audacious attention to satisfy you and your pompous self.

All of us here are enthusiasts for the brand, but it's not like Toyota/Lexus is something exclusive, i.e. Zonda. Some people are happy with whatever they are given, and others are just .

Last edited by felixsc300; 12-16-08 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-16-08, 10:35 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix.
As 1SICKLEX stated, you are not ENTITLED to a 'loaner' vehicle. It is a COURTESY (which is why some carry "... Courtesy Vehicle" stickers). Courtesy vehicles are always new, no more than a year old; once they have served their purpose (usually around 20,000 miles) they are sold under 'Certified Pre-Owned'. They could very well not offer any transportation at all and leave you sitting in the lounge to live off of old magazines and stale donuts while you wait for your car. What you are given is essentially what you will drive, and if you don't approve of it then ride the courtesy shuttle: you get to sit in a roomy, pearl-white Sienna (stitched with leather!) that has giant '___ Lexus/Lexus of ____' stickers slapped all over it for the mass amount of audacious attention to satisfy you and your pompous self.

All of us here are enthusiasts for the brand, but it's not like Toyota/Lexus is something exclusive, i.e. Zonda. Some people are happy with whatever they are given, and others are just .
About the dealer stickers on the car. I think most people find it embarassing. I know I do. It says to the world, "my car is in for work and this is my borrowed car." I don't see how that is a good thing. IMO, the stickers are just a way for a dealer to promote their operation. Free advertising along the same lines as license plate frames, et al.
Old 12-16-08, 10:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

my dealership gives me the option of an IS, ES, or RX. I only used the RX once to take my stock exhaust home. Damn that thing is small.
Old 12-16-08, 11:02 PM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Putting stickers on it is tacky. We just have small ID numbers to organize the cars.

But you are entitled to a loaner car. It's in the Lexus warranty. But only for a covered service of 8 hours or more. Most dealerships aren't anywhere close to that restrictive.
Old 12-16-08, 11:12 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
About the dealer stickers on the car. I think most people find it embarassing. I know I do. It says to the world, "my car is in for work and this is my borrowed car." I don't see how that is a good thing. IMO, the stickers are just a way for a dealer to promote their operation. Free advertising along the same lines as license plate frames, et al.
True, which is another reason to ride the shuttle. Personally I enjoy riding the shuttle, I live 25 minutes away from the closest Lexus dealership. It beats dealing with Californian traffic, the cost of gas, and plus I always get a nice, friendly driver.

It is great to experience the newer Lexus models, but the stickers really do take the fun out of it.
Old 12-17-08, 03:59 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see it differently. The sticker says to the world "look, I own a Lexus and when I bring my car in for service I get a free courtesy car" To me, it tells the world that Lexus is truly a luxury brand.
Old 12-17-08, 04:51 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's up to the dealer. Where I bought my car, they have IS250s, ES350s and RX350s. If you get there early, you can choose whichever you want. But I had to go to another dealer recently, and all they had were RX's. I've heard of another local dealer with GS350s.

They won't give you a car 4 years old.
Old 12-17-08, 04:55 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I see it differently. The sticker says to the world "look, I own a Lexus and when I bring my car in for service I get a free courtesy car" To me, it tells the world that Lexus is truly a luxury brand.
It's dealer self-promotion, plain and simple. "Buy a car here, and you get a free loaner car". It's a price I am more than willing to pay for use of a free Lexus (not Altima, like my Acura dealer) loaner. And free pickup/drop off service too.
Old 12-17-08, 05:19 AM
LexFather

Odd b/c in GA, everyone has the small sticker like kalano. You CANNOT tell it is a loaner. In comparison the Infiniti, Acura, BMW, Benz dealers all have these huge "LOANER CAR" and advertising stickers all over the car. And that is IF you get a loaner or one of their brand. I posted a thread where a G/F of mine had a new CLK 350 and she got a Nissan PAthfider loaner for instance.

I much prefer the Lexus dealer method here.

And yes I forgot about 400h loaners as I've had those too.

Last edited by LexFather; 12-17-08 at 05:25 AM.

Quick Reply: loaner car question