Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

90k Paper Weight (new GT-R)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-08, 09:04 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thetopdog
I'm not making excuses for Nissan, but the Boxster and Cayman don't have anywhere near the power of the GT-R
Those 2 cars aren't the only ones with launch control in their lineup.

They aren't the only 2 companies to offer launch control on hi powered vehicles either.

But Nissan is the only one where we are hearing about tranny issues.

Granted, BMW's SMG is getting re programmed because of the stalling engine under heavy braking issue but that's not a tranny blowing out.

I believe the reason why we hear so much hater speak and fan boy speak is because the GT-R was to most of us, an icon.

An icon with huge buzz that could only attract this high level of emotion to come out between both sides.

People should really calm down and stop acting like children.

It's a great car for the money but, like every car, has an issue or two to work out albeit a pretty big one.
Old 12-17-08, 09:46 AM
howat
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stick with Toyotas and Hondas.
Old 12-17-08, 09:57 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by howat
Stick with Toyotas and Hondas.
No one can stick to them now, they don't have the ***** that Nissan has. They have nothing to compete with the GT-R. Lexus at least has the IS-F. Honda/Acura has NOTHING.

THe S2000 is very nice and interesting, its also a I-4 only. THey have nothing with any serious power. Hell the IS 350 has more HP than anything Honda/Acura makes. Honda just said today the NSX is canned.

Problems and all, kudos to NIssan for making the GT-R.

Old 12-17-08, 10:14 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm with SICK on this one. Nissan is at least still putting out Sports Cars along with their regular cars. Toyota got rid of the Supra a decade ago and NSX well I had hopes but as SICK said it's been canned. The IS-F is cool but it's a four door auto.
Old 12-17-08, 10:20 AM
gshb
Lead Lap

dont forget its not nissan who makes the gtr transmission. you can blame german engineering for that. but honestly all these damn stories of failing gtrs are simply not true. you dont even have any thread like that on the front page of nagtroc and a lot of stories were fabricated by people who didnt have a gtr. i guess a truly great car is capable of producing a truly great hater.
Old 12-17-08, 10:30 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry but I'll take the GTR over IS-F any freaking day.. who is hating
Old 12-17-08, 10:41 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thetopdog
I'm not making excuses for Nissan, but the Boxster and Cayman don't have anywhere near the power of the GT-R
The 911TT does I know full well that Porsche-people abuse the hell out of their cars when they pull them out of the garage every once in a while.

This is nothing new. Nissan couldn't build a strong auto to save its life in the 90s. The automatics on TT Zs were guarenteed to go.

Originally Posted by gshb
dont forget its not nissan who makes the gtr transmission. you can blame german engineering for that. but honestly all these damn stories of failing gtrs are simply not true. you dont even have any thread like that on the front page of nagtroc and a lot of stories were fabricated by people who didnt have a gtr. i guess a truly great car is capable of producing a truly great hater.
Head in the sand... Head in the sand... FYI: I don't expect information on common Lexus defects to be advertised on clublexus either. Does that mean they don't happen?

I guess its pretty simple though. If the evidence goes against the theory then the evidence must be untrue. What a common theme in this day and age.
Old 12-17-08, 10:55 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

So many bashing on the tranny issues of GT-R, yet no one has provided an exact and accurate statistics showing how many GT-R's trannies have been blown, is it one out of ten? one out of hundred? 0.0000000001%? Porsche 911 CARRERA S costs about the same price as GT-R, and the Nissan has better performance than the Porsche in every single imaginable category, without ever using launch control. Well, the ones who laugh at GT-R being able to go from 0 to 60 in 3.5 seconds ONCE, the 911 CS could not go from 0 to 60 in 3.5 seconds EVER. ONCE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NEVER. Now if they are comparing GT-R to 911 Turbo, which I think is a better match performance-wise, at least I am saving that $50k enough to buy 2.5 transmissions stalled at home to take pictures of and show off. Porsche, you are making so much profits because you are ripping your customers off. Those people don't appreciate Nissan's efforts of providing us such a great sports car at such a valuable price but appreciate Porsche's efforts of stealing their hard-earned(or easy earned) money.
Old 12-17-08, 11:06 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by whlkev
sorry but I'll take the GTR over IS-F any freaking day.. who is hating
I'm not hating on the GT-R either....that seems to be limited to a certain F owner....(j/k to the self-proclaimed table saw)....but the GT-R and the F are completely different vehicles. Let me also say that I think the Nissan is a great car, in spite of any so called issues.

These constant comparisons of certain vehicles based on hp and price grow weary. The GT-R is a 2 door performance/track car, where the F is a 4 door luxury/performance daily driver. There are very few of us that bought our cars because we thought we were getting the fastest, most powerful car on the road. They are great luxurious, daily drivers that are a ton of fun when we want them to be. The Lexus reliability and service is the added bonus.

Someone looking at a GT-R isn't likely to be cross-shopping an F. The fact that it beats most other vehicles on the road performance wise is immaterial. The true competitors to the GT-R are the ZR1 or the Porsche 911 TT...true 2 door track-oriented cars. Would you consider those cars as competitors to the F?

Course, if you were just saying you'd take a GT-R over an F if given one....I'd take a Veyron over my F any day to.
Old 12-17-08, 11:07 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

I read through most of 6speedonline and it always makes me laugh to realize some kid is sitting at home making this all up
Old 12-17-08, 11:17 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by EDGE2
I read through most of 6speedonline and it always makes me laugh to realize some kid is sitting at home making this all up
lol.....they do have a problem with trolling..... this could be another one, the guy keeps saying "Im out the country" when its time to post proof.

Old 12-17-08, 11:25 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

While a lot of the people in this thread have varying opinions on what the GT-R is and isn't, I think that at this point it is hard to deny that this car has transmission problems and Nissan knows it.

At launch there was a lot of bustle being made about the tranny, but people expected that to die down. The comments continued to proliferate the internet and then real life experiences started to pop up. Nissan then declared that anyone who drove the car recklessly would be reprimanded with a voided warranty as the driving information is recorded in a black box. From there we read about how the owners manual has a section to log new transmissions and replacements. Now we have another personal account of a failed transmission. What more does it take for people to throw their hands in the air and blow the whistle?

I have to say that as impressive as the GT-R is, this transmission issue is a huge deal. You can have all the power in the world, going through a legendary name like "GT-R" but if it is prone to a serious problem like this then I personally discredit the car. I would not want to own one, getting in my car every day fearing that the tranny would blow and then Nissan would come back to me waving a finger in the air. I don't care if this was a Corolla- a defective transmission with a manufacturer who refuses to back it is a crime.

Really, as great as the GT-R is, these transmission issues are flat out unacceptable. Period.
Old 12-17-08, 11:25 AM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Almost all who approach me about the car "OMG GTR," and then "but I heard transmission this transmission that" yet, "I wish I had one" WTF?
Over and over its the same story.
If its a weak car, I guess i will find out, but if it goes because of my driving habits, I hope I have the ***** to live up to it.
Regardless, Nissan built a car that is beyond what people had expected and can't be matched.
Old 12-17-08, 11:30 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nissan announced they are eliminating launch control on new GT-Rs due to warranty claims on trannies..
Old 12-17-08, 11:31 AM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
While a lot of the people in this thread have varying opinions on what the GT-R is and isn't, I think that at this point it is hard to deny that this car has transmission problems and Nissan knows it.

At launch there was a lot of bustle being made about the tranny, but people expected that to die down. The comments continued to proliferate the internet and then real life experiences started to pop up. Nissan then declared that anyone who drove the car recklessly would be reprimanded with a voided warranty as the driving information is recorded in a black box. From there we read about how the owners manual has a section to log new transmissions and replacements. Now we have another personal account of a failed transmission. What more does it take for people to throw their hands in the air and blow the whistle?

I have to say that as impressive as the GT-R is, this transmission issue is a huge deal. You can have all the power in the world, going through a legendary name like "GT-R" but if it is prone to a serious problem like this then I personally discredit the car. I would not want to own one, getting in my car every day fearing that the tranny would blow and then Nissan would come back to me waving a finger in the air. I don't care if this was a Corolla- a defective transmission with a manufacturer who refuses to back it is a crime.

Really, as great as the GT-R is, these transmission issues are flat out unacceptable. Period.
Transmission failure seems to be mostly in very early production numbers.
As any first year car, its bound to have issues.
As far as LC goes, I think it was a mistake, badly written policy.
However, if one is going to abuse the car from stop light to stop light and expect it not to fail, thats just Naive.

Quick Reply: 90k Paper Weight (new GT-R)