Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Csaba Csere Out at Car & Driver

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-08, 06:18 AM
LexFather

Arrow Csaba Csere Out at Car & Driver

http://jalopnik.com/5111232/csaba-cs...+chief-resigns

Old 12-17-08, 06:55 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Bummer. I always enjoyed reading his column in C&D. He seemed to have a good insight into the auto industry.
Old 12-17-08, 07:06 AM
LexFather

He has the background and led them through some great times. I do think a new approach is needed as times have changed.

Kudos to him, his leadership will be missed by many

Old 12-17-08, 10:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Yes, I generally had a high opinion of him, too. In fact, though I have my own specific style, some of the phrases and writing manner I use in my car reviews were influenced at least a little by him, Patrick Bedard, and John Phillips. C&D has always been my favorite enthusiast car magazine for its excellent columns and in-depth car comparisons and road tests.....though, like many others, I depend primarily on Consumer Reports for vehicle reliability.

If I had to bet, though, I'd agree with the suggestion that he wants to get out of Ann Arbor and to sunny CA with R&T. Michigan has miserable weather from October to April, and the roads are some of the worst in the country.....some of them are like the surface of the moon from craters and potholes.
Old 12-17-08, 11:01 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I stopped reading C&D a long time ago so I can't remember what it is I didn't like about Csaba....but I remember disliking his work overall. I think he was entertaining at times. Maybe I'll give it another chance since he's gone now.
Old 12-17-08, 11:01 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

i think that auto industry is changing (from propulsion point of view) and these old editors were never much for a change... I have purchased every C&D for many years, and personally did not like his Steve McQueen all guns out attitude on mpg and hybrids.
Old 12-17-08, 02:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
. I have purchased every C&D for many years, and personally did not like his Steve McQueen all guns out attitude on mpg and hybrids.
Some of his attacks on hybrids were legit. The main problem with hybrids is that it takes a lot of gas purchases, after the sale, to make up for the higher price of a hybrid up front, although the tax credits sometimes help.
Old 12-17-08, 06:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Some of his attacks on hybrids were legit. The main problem with hybrids is that it takes a lot of gas purchases, after the sale, to make up for the higher price of a hybrid up front, although the tax credits sometimes help.
the way it was written, it was mostly as if someone was taking candy from a kid :-).
Old 12-17-08, 11:43 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

First Larry Webster the Engineering Editor and now Csaba what a rapid decline since they downsized the magazine, I will wait a while before I mail my check for my new subscription
Old 12-18-08, 07:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

i like his work a lot, and i think this will prove to be a great opportunity for him, possibly online, or on TV. the mags are dead.
Old 12-18-08, 07:58 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i like his work a lot, and i think this will prove to be a great opportunity for him, possibly online, or on TV. the mags are dead.
He's been appearing recently on various news and business shows with commentary/analysis on the auto industry. Might very well be the direction he's heading.
Old 12-18-08, 07:59 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
That's what C. Van Tune thought when he left his post as Editor in Chief of Motor Trend about 7 years ago. I never buy Motor trend anymore & haven't seen or heard about Tune in about 5 years
Old 12-18-08, 08:18 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
That's what C. Van Tune thought when he left his post as Editor in Chief of Motor Trend about 7 years ago. I never buy Motor trend anymore & haven't seen or heard about Tune in about 5 years
Fantastic observation. I loved MT under C Van Tune. Went to crap since.

Old 12-18-08, 09:36 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Fantastic observation. I loved MT under C Van Tune. Went to crap since.
Yeah, I used to keep him supplied in cars when he went freelance but my company started screwing me over so I quit & lost touch with him.

Old 12-18-08, 10:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am sad to see him go as well as some of my favorite colums. this may still lead to newer and fresher perspectives and columns. I am curious to see they will hire to replace him. I have alot respect for him and wish him well

Quick Reply: Csaba Csere Out at Car & Driver