Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

VW to update 2011 Passat with new technology (update - pg. 3)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-09 | 07:36 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Looks gorgeous IMO.

But I also don't see why VW wants to continue moving up and competing with Audi. Yet they continue to announce their plans of becoming #1 in world wide volume. To do that, they need to focus on lower priced cars. Part of the reason for VW's lack of success in the US is because all of their models cost more than their Japanese and American competition. After all, isn't cheap cars what built VW? The Beetle was the best selling car in history until recently because it was a cheap car for the everyday person. Now, you gotta drop $20K+ for a small New Beetle or Rabbit.

Give me a trouble free VW for under $15K please, and I might be on board.
Old 05-13-09 | 08:31 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
VW and Audi are semi-autonomous in their collaboration. They are not Honda and Acura, Nissan and Infiniti. In many ways, they are very different from each other, and the engineers have had animosity on both sides for a long time (especially on Audi's side).
Which still does not explain this move that will make the next-gen Passat cannibalize some sales of the A4. VW and Audi are not *completely* autonomous, they are still under the same corporate umbrella or organization at the end of the day. Something as important as two models from two different brands cannibalizing each other in the same markets surely would have had to be discussed, regardless of the autonomy in their collaboration. It's not as if VW pretends that Audi doesn't exist and vice-versa. That would just be absurd.
Old 05-13-09 | 10:10 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

I like the looks, I wasn't a fan of the Fordalicous front ends VW loved so much.

But I think at the same time VW needs to compete against Honda, Toyota, Ford, Hyundai and Kia - I can see VW slaughtering the Honda group if they had their heads screwed on right - otherwise Audi will become the next Acura.
Old 05-13-09 | 11:51 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Which still does not explain this move that will make the next-gen Passat cannibalize some sales of the A4. VW and Audi are not *completely* autonomous, they are still under the same corporate umbrella or organization at the end of the day. Something as important as two models from two different brands cannibalizing each other in the same markets surely would have had to be discussed, regardless of the autonomy in their collaboration. It's not as if VW pretends that Audi doesn't exist and vice-versa. That would just be absurd.
Apparently from what I've read, VW and Audi execs don't see much cross shoping between the two brands. Porsche and Audi are the same way - The R8 competes directly with the 911 - that doesn't mean Porsche is going to kill the R8.