Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

VW to update 2011 Passat with new technology (update - pg. 3)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-08, 08:38 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default VW to update 2011 Passat with new technology (update - pg. 3)

It sounds promising. As well as promising a radical redesign that will make us think twice about wanting a 3-series, C-Class or an A4, the new Passat will be rammed with advanced technology including weight-saving measures like miniature air-con compressors and electric seat adjusters, new ultra-thin toughened glass, featherweight foam injection chassis stiffening, semi-active air suspension, rear-wheel steering, a lighter low-friction 4Motion system with dynamic torque split... the list goes on.

You want more tech? How about airless tyres from Continental, a Bosch wiperless window cleaning system, 360deg parking cameras, ESP with automatic counter-steer assistance, speed limit-obeying adaptive cruise control and – our favourite – magnetic low-voltage paint which can change colour by changing the current. It sounds far flung but VW is seriously considering all this for the 2012 Passat replacement.

What will be under the bonnet of the new Passat?

To pander to the Passat’s transverse layout, VW has given the go ahead for a VR6 replacement. The 280bhp 3.0 V6 retains its narrow 15deg V angle, and is fitted with direct injection and will be turbocharged in most applications – and it will also be offered in hybrid form. VW is expected to unveil a 300bhp diesel version of the engine, coupled to the new eight-speed dry-clutch DSG 'box and available with four-wheel drive.

My word…and what about the proposed Passat Plus?

This true E-class and 5-series rival will share its underpinnings with the next Audi A6/A7 and, according to insiders is an elegantly sculpted four-door saloon with a sumptuous Phaeton-inspired interior. While the Passat Plus will get the new V6s, the standard Passat will continue VW’s penchant for combining supercharger and turbocharger for most petrol engines and single or twin-turbo blowers for its diesels.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-...ontent-block=1
Old 12-17-08, 08:39 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I want the color changing paint feature!!
Old 12-17-08, 09:16 AM
LexFather

This is for the Euro Passat. We will get a new model for the American market built in the new plant in TN.

No one in America wants a VW PAssat that competes with the 3/IS/C let alone their own A4.

Old 12-17-08, 09:21 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Passat, a true E-class and 5-series rival? Really VW? Really?

Wow...
Old 12-17-08, 10:36 AM
Koma

That wagon is definitely a Volvo.
Old 12-17-08, 10:49 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't understand why they want to move VW upmarket all of the time, when they already own all of these other high end brands.
Old 12-17-08, 10:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Never mind the technnology. A number of automakers need to stop concentrating on so much high-tech stuff and, instead, put some SOLIDNESS back into their sheet metal, trim, and hardware. The Passat, unfortunately, is no exception. Check out the plastics used on the dash and interior of the latest model (I did recently, but did not formally write the car up).........IMO some of them are insultingly cheap and poorly-fitted. You can almost pull some of them right off with your hands.
Old 12-17-08, 11:01 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Passat, unfortunately, is no exception. Check out the plastics used on the dash and interior of the latest model (I did recently, but did not formally write the car up).........IMO some of them are insultingly cheap and poorly-fitted. You can almost pull some of them right off with your hands.
Hmm... Interesting.

mmarshall, then what do you think about this post:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4091826-post48.html
Old 12-17-08, 01:18 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Never mind the technnology. A number of automakers need to stop concentrating on so much high-tech stuff and, instead, put some SOLIDNESS back into their sheet metal, trim, and hardware. The Passat, unfortunately, is no exception. Check out the plastics used on the dash and interior of the latest model (I did recently, but did not formally write the car up).........IMO some of them are insultingly cheap and poorly-fitted. You can almost pull some of them right off with your hands.
VW has admitted to downgrading the interiors of their Golf and Passat range in 2006 for a costly independent rear suspension setup and increased engine technology (direct injection), but your assesement is way off base. I think you need to go sit in a comprable Japanese sedan and directly compare build quality. The Passat still wipes the slate clean - the trim on the doors, the damping of the interior pieces, the trim on the center console, the weight of the doors themselves- hardly insultingly cheap. I am going to as far as to say this is statement is borderline ridiculous, and don't take that the wrong way. I have been looking at replacing my current car with an 06 VR6 Passat and the two cars I've driven thus far are extremely, extremely refined, can't emphasize this enough. Real wood trim, exquisite leather, perfect exterior. Again, I really have no idea where this came from. My Honda "Accord" feels like the $25,000 car it is. The Passat again, looks and feels like a much more costly car (and it is). You can get away with commenting on the cheapening up on some interior parts compared to the last car, but the exterior quality cannot be denied. Tight laser welded tolorances, increased structual rigidity, near perfect trunk, hydralic hood, solid underhood lining, SOLID exterior mirros with integrated turn signal LED/puddle lighting.

Any validity this statement may have (and it does have some, but not nearly to the level you insinuate) will be rectified with the new Golf and Passat range. The Golf 6 has already been hailed as having Phaeton-like levels of build quality in the interior and exterior, levels that they will need to compete with the small entries from Diamler and BMW. Sadly, the car is going to again be too costly to compete effectively in the American market, where consumers don't shop for premium equipped and finished small cars. Same with this Passat. You all can write it off all you want, but the product designers at every other manufacture are studying this car, just as they have all previous generations. It has always been dissected and copied, it is and always has since 1998, been the benchmark for this class.

Some of you may refuse to believe this, perhaps you should take a look at the evolution of equipment levels on the Passat/Golf, and the time it takes competing manufactures to come to market with their own systems. For instance, curtain airbags and traction control became standard across the board in 2001. Honda did this in 2005. The current Passat offers rear side airbags - look for this feature in the competition a few years from now. Volkswagen started offering a switchblade remote key on all cars starting in 1999 - Honda just released a few Acura models with it last year, Mazda has followed. One touch sunroof in 1998, competition around 2004, auto up/down windows in 98 w/ pinch protection, competition around 05. The Passat came with a rear sunshade system in 1998, the Camry followed in 2002. VW standardized telescoping steering wheels in 1998 - Honda in 2003, on one car. VW offered a standard full trip computer in the dash, the competition hasn't gotton around to adding this (though it can be yours on a top trim $40,000 Honda Odyssey Touring, but only a single trip computer). Hood hydraulic assists have been standardized on all of their cars since 1999. The Passat has come with standard projector beam lamps since 2001 - Accord never, Camry 2006. Standard Bi-LED tail lamps with LED turn signals and brake lamps, costly design, standard, not available on competition (both brakelamps and turn signals). Mind you, I haven't even began to start talking about powertrain innovations (5-Speed Porsche Boxter tiptronic in 98, Turbos, Direct injection, etc.). My point is, they bring the features to this class, others follow, reliability suffers because of the constant introduction of new technology and features - just read the opening post, that proves the point I'm trying to make. The Passat sells very well across the globe and is a crucuial part in the VW range. It's not a second tier, second rate, chintzy car, which your post above makes it sound like.

Last edited by FKL; 12-17-08 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-17-08, 02:07 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

So if thieves got a hold of this car, that means police will have a description of a car but in wrong colors?
Old 12-17-08, 02:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ffpower
Hmm... Interesting.

mmarshall, then what do you think about this post:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4091826-post48.html
Pictures alone don't tell the story. VW uses some very cheap plastic stalks, for example. If you actually sit in and compare the two cars by feel (as I have done) I have found the Honda interior parts substantially more solid-feeling, except, perhaps, for some door-trim parts. However, I respect your opinions on this issue.
Old 12-17-08, 02:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
VW has admitted to downgrading the interiors of their Golf and Passat range in 2006 for a costly independent rear suspension setup and increased engine technology (direct injection), but your assesement is way off base. I think you need to go sit in a comprable Japanese sedan and directly compare build quality. The Passat still wipes the slate clean -

Any validity this statement may have (and it does have some, but not nearly to the level you insinuate) will be rectified with the new Golf and Passat range.

The Passat sells very well across the globe and is a crucuial part in the VW range. It's not a second tier, second rate, chintzy car, which your post above makes it sound like.
See my reply to ffpower, above. It also applies in this case. I respect your opinion , but disagree with part of it. And I make my posts knowing that sometimes people will disagree with them....I expect that. But I know cheap interior parts when I see....and feel.....them. I've been looking at new cars for over 40 years.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-17-08 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-17-08, 09:39 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

My appologies if I came off as rude, mmarshall. I really do respect your opinion and love reading your reviews (I have gone back and read countless in the archive). I can agree to disagree on this one, that's fine with me
Old 12-17-08, 09:44 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

what is this colour changing feature? :\
is that possible?
Old 12-17-08, 09:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
My appologies if I came off as rude, mmarshall.
Don't worry about it. No problem.

I really do respect your opinion and love reading your reviews (I have gone back and read countless in the archive). I can agree to disagree on this one, that's fine with me
Thanks.

Toyota Venza V6 review coming up. Not only by CL request, but I've been waiting a long time to try out this car myself. Look for it by Thursday night or Friday. I suspect that this car would be an excellent platform for a possible Lexus version.

Quick Reply: VW to update 2011 Passat with new technology (update - pg. 3)