Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Nissan Petrol (next Armanda/Infiniti QX replacement)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-09, 02:45 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Wow I'm surprised people like this ... that looks HIDEOUS.

I much prefer the current old model over this new one, and the current one is not much of a looker either.

The LX570 easily looks better than this thing, hands down.

Also the use of boxy, rectangular styling cues and character lines combined with wavy curves on the exterior ... that is total fail IMHO.
Well, it's hard to tell which looks better yet as these are poor cell phone pics. So hold your horses on that one.
Old 09-10-09, 02:53 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Not impressed but then again I don't have any interest in overweight gas guzzling expensive giant luxury SUVs that will never be used off road. Why is Infiniti still doing a vehicle like this in this economy and with people so sensitive and turned off about high gas prices and giant SUVs. The last QX was absolutely horrible and did terrible sales and reliability wise, it lowered Infiniti's image and standings with its terrible reliability and build quality and was basically an Armada with leather and some wood trim, it did not even fit in a luxury lineup and seemed very out of place. I would much rather see a low slung CLS type sports sedan to replace the Q45, a entry level sedan/coupe below the G37, a GTR type car, or most of all a larger lux/perf coupe with a v8 option like the Essense coupe instead of another pointless overpriced giant luxury off road SUV.
Old 09-10-09, 02:53 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I like it. About time Infiniti moved it to the Patrol platform.
Old 09-10-09, 03:09 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The only thing I dont like about this vehicle is the rear end taillights.

I'd take one over an LX570 as appearance goes. Dont know enough about the drivetrain to comment.
Old 09-10-09, 03:11 PM
LexFather

I have to say I like it a lot so far. I like the new Infiniti tails and the front headlights are aggressive. The grill is huge but nothing the Escalade/RR and others don't also do. The wheel arches are not overdone, and the chrome around the windows looks good. Glad they lost that dumbass roofline and have a nice flat one. It doesn't look too overdone anywhere and fit and finish in that crappy pic(s) looks pretty damn good. I find the new LX 570 a bland and not trying hard enough exterior. The new LX lost the quad headlights that set it apart and in person it looks well, do you notice it? No disrespect to my LX 570 owners but it does absolutely nothing for me.

I find this new QX>LX in exterior looks.

The black front windshield though reminds me of a Nissan GT-R and I'm sure its b/c it is a Nissan Petrol. I hate the tacky, now old trend fender vents. Its gaudy and tasteless.

My other problem is QX= failure. Amazingly its moved to 3 different platforms and is the only Infiniti that was never discontinued. I couldn't imagine dumping the money in something with such an awful history.
QX4- Nissan Pathfinder
QX56- Nissan Armada
QX??-Nissan Petrol

Old 09-10-09, 03:13 PM
R1R
Driver

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I like it. About time Infiniti moved it to the Patrol platform.
I agree, this new QX looks pretty fantastic. The Nissan Patrol is has a huge international following. If the interior is well done, they might have a winner. I'd take one over the LX570 as well.
Old 09-10-09, 03:19 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The front looks pretty good. The rear integrated bumper design is definitely unique for an SUV (actually, I can't think of another that has that integrated look... RAV4??) but the rear lights look a bit odd. Either way, much better than the FX.
Old 09-10-09, 03:27 PM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The LX570 easily looks better than this thing, hands down.
Put down the crack pipe, the QX is not much of a looker, but the LX is atrocious:

Last edited by madmax2k1; 09-10-09 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-10-09, 03:39 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

I predict that this will be massive and awesome.
Old 09-10-09, 03:49 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
Put down the crack pipe, the QX is not much of a looker, but the LX is atrocious:

To each their own. I find the LX exterior to be quite nice. It looks expensive, and is a very cohesive design.

My problem with this new QX is the design is not cohesive at all. Square, blocky shapes combined with wavy, curvy lines.
Old 09-10-09, 04:11 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Everything Lexus is cohesive to you and everything else isn't.

While the front end is sort of acceptable and the side profile looks (really) good, the rear end is hideous. There are nice curves on the car but the sharp edges on the taillights ruined it. The taillight bulging certainly doesn't help.

While the QX isn't styled by Gordon Murray, at least it flows throughout the whole car.
Old 09-10-09, 04:19 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bland is better than ugly, and while the LX is the former, this QX is definitely the latter.

Infiniti has this bad habit of trying to transform sedan/coupe styling cues to CUVs and SUVs and it doesn't work. This is why the EX and new FX look so awkward, and also why this QX looks like a freak grandfather of the Scion XB bred with a blue whale.

The shape of the greenhouse is laughable. Trying to apply a sedan-like profile to a full size SUV is...well...different. The front end is actually more out of proportion than the current model which I didn't think was possible. The small, shapely headlights and an even bigger grille- Looks like a blue whale. The rear end is easily as much of a joke.

I still think the LX 470 was the best looking full size SUV ever, and while the 570 is bland at least it's not ugly like this.

Old 09-10-09, 04:27 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I think the LX interior looks expensive. It is a legit effort. The exterior has no style what so ever with those ugly Lincoln Navigator tail lights. A gigantic miss IMO compared to the previous LX. It has lost all of its rugged look and yes, IMO the new LX design has gone SOFT!

The QX IMO looks aggressive. Like it eats people with that massive grill. The wheel arches are not overdone, blacked out pillars like Range Rovers, very nice and well placed chrome trim. What I dont like are the rear windows, the fender vents, and the tail lights could be better.
Old 09-10-09, 04:32 PM
Yay-Z
Lead Lap

Whoa!!! Ugly
Old 09-10-09, 04:37 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank god they moved to Patrol platform!
I think it looks very Range Roverish but with curves. Due to lowe position of the headlights I predict those are HIDs

Quick Reply: 2010 Nissan Petrol (next Armanda/Infiniti QX replacement)