Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Nissan Petrol (next Armanda/Infiniti QX replacement)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-09, 04:40 PM
WidebodyQ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great.
Old 09-10-09, 04:45 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
Everything Lexus is cohesive to you and everything else isn't.

While the front end is sort of acceptable and the side profile looks (really) good, the rear end is hideous. There are nice curves on the car but the sharp edges on the taillights ruined it. The taillight bulging certainly doesn't help.

While the QX isn't styled by Gordon Murray, at least it flows throughout the whole car.
Read what MPLexus301 said. Bland is certainly better than ugly or offensive.

The LX 570 doesn't have that many curves, it's mostly square-ish shapes. The tails on the LX fit with the rest of the design.

I call it like I see it. You can call Lexus designs bland all day long, but they ARE cohesive. I really can't see how this can be argued.

Audi designs are also very cohesive, as are BMW and Mercedes designs to an extent.

Please explain how the QX design "flows throughout the whole car"? The shape of the windshield and sides are quite square. It has a huge square grille and the front end is very upright. It's quite easy to tell that the whole body shell is quite square and blocky, and that Infiniti poorly tried to conceal and disguise the shape with lots of waves and curves. Those sedan headlights and tail lights don't fit the body at all. Neither do the Infiniti G hood lines. Also what is with the blacked out pillars? Are they attempting to give a huge SUV a coupe look?

Although I don't really like it, the new Infiniti M is a more cohesive design that this. The Infiniti M at least is cohesively wavy in it's exterior.
Old 09-10-09, 04:49 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i think it's a pretty cohesive design.
compared to the current QX, it's a huge improvement.

some of you like chunky boxy, and i respect your preference.

i don't see wavy lines everywhere. The main ones- the waist and windows, are straight:

LX vs 2011 QX = a toss up. The front of the LX looks more proportional, being that it was pretty much transplanted from the LS460.

I think the new QX has that coolness factor, and appears more pimp than the LX

Sure they could've moved the headlights up higher, and made the grille smaller and made the bumper taller. But they wanted to keep the design cues of the current QX:

you have to be less critical with giant SUV design. There's not much you can sculpt from a huge box and still call it an SUV.
Old 09-10-09, 04:55 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For some reason this whole thing reminds me of the Mini Clubman.
Old 09-10-09, 04:57 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

Please explain how the QX design "flows throughout the whole car"? The shape of the windshield and sides are quite square. It has a huge square grille and the front end is very upright. It's quite easy to tell that the whole body shell is quite square and blocky.
Show me a full size SUV that isn't square-ish. Maybe Infiniti wanted a 'square and blocky' look because it looks more aggressive, but incorporated curves to make it look more modern than the previous models.

Those sedan headlights and tail lights don't fit the body at all. Neither do the Infiniti G hood lines. Also what is with the blacked out pillars? Are they attempting to give a huge SUV a coupe look?
They don't fit to you but many here seems to think it looks quite good. In the end, it either looks good or looks bad. No one said car designs have to be conventional, hence the blacked out pillars. Infinti is bold enough to try new things and if it's a hit, then great. If not, then too bad.
Old 09-10-09, 05:04 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

There are some clever things going on in this QX and I'm interested to see some better wider angle exterior pics. I think the blacked out pillars reduce visual mass and emphasize the sleekness of this bulky vehicle. Overall I definitely do think it looks leagues better than the current Lexus LX simply because this has more going on than just simply size. And unlike past Infinitis I'm confident that the interior will be impressive. I suppose this will be officially unveiled at the LA or Detroit show. The only glaring fault I see are those contrived side vents.
Old 09-10-09, 05:09 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dunno about this one, it does look like a Scion or Mini writ large. IMO the new front ends are not that great, but at least the side seems less strange than the current one.
Old 09-10-09, 05:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
Put down the crack pipe, the QX is not much of a looker, but the LX is atrocious:

Take his post with a grain of salt, he thinks the GMC Terrain looks better than the new 4Runner
Originally Posted by dunnojack

i think it's a pretty cohesive design.
compared to the current QX, it's a huge improvement.

some of you like chunky boxy, and i respect your preference.

i don't see wavy lines everywhere. The main ones- the waist and windows, are straight:

LX vs 2011 QX = a toss up. The front of the LX looks more proportional, being that it was pretty much transplanted from the LS460.

I think the new QX has that coolness factor, and appears more pimp than the LX

Sure they could've moved the headlights up higher, and made the grille smaller and made the bumper taller. But they wanted to keep the design cues of the current QX:

you have to be less critical with giant SUV design. There's not much you can sculpt from a huge box and still call it an SUV.
I agree here and I don't know the dimensions of this new QX but I'm sorry, it has pulled the design off better than the LX. The LX CLEARLY seems based off the last platform. They clearly stretched the rear and tried L-finesse but it doesn't work to me. The wheelbase seems to short and the bulges lack character. The front end is bland, the best part to me is the rear and the tailights.

Old 09-10-09, 05:42 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

The QX looks longer and lower than the LX.
Old 09-10-09, 05:44 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
The QX looks longer and lower than the LX.
I am assuming since the vehicle in indoors, they either have cut springs or the suspension is at the absolute lowest setting. I am sure it will sit higher when the production model debuts. Nice OEM wheels too.

Old 09-10-09, 06:02 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am assuming since the vehicle in indoors, they either have cut springs or the suspension is at the absolute lowest setting. I am sure it will sit higher when the production model debuts. Nice OEM wheels too.
Right. I think it's optical and that's why the design is more successful than the LX which looks tall and boxy and does little to reduce its visual height and mass. One of the things that contributes to the QX's longer lower look is the higher belt line and lower roof line. That, plus the blacked out A and B pillars which gives it the same sort of "floating" roof that the GT-R has.
Old 09-10-09, 06:14 PM
R1R
Driver

Anyone remember this Kuraza? It has a blacked out pillars too. Maybe they took a few styling cues from this?

Old 09-10-09, 06:14 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

From the side it reminds me of an LX
Old 09-10-09, 06:28 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Front A-pillar looks like a 1980's Caprice relic. Not because it's blacked-out, but because it does not curve. Awful step backwards and does not match the rest of the body which does have some curves.
Front lower intake does look like a fish's mouth... or a "CARS" front mouth from the movie. Very poorly thought out.
Side profile looks to be improved.
Overall, a waste of resources for a dying breed. Should invest more in other avenues and abandon the Escalade/excess/rapper/bling bling/drive-by-shooting crowd which brings down the credibility of a company.
Old 09-10-09, 06:31 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSteg
Everything Lexus is cohesive to you and everything else isn't.

While the front end is sort of acceptable and the side profile looks (really) good, the rear end is hideous. There are nice curves on the car but the sharp edges on the taillights ruined it. The taillight bulging certainly doesn't help.

While the QX isn't styled by Gordon Murray, at least it flows throughout the whole car.
phew. i thought i was the only one that thought this way about TRDguy.

i'll just say neither are good looking to me.

Quick Reply: 2010 Nissan Petrol (next Armanda/Infiniti QX replacement)