Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

thinking of trading in my 2GEN GS

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-08, 03:30 PM
infa_red
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking of trading in my 2GEN GS

thinking of trading in my 2GEN GS for a 2nd gen IS250/350 or 3rd Gen GS cant make up my mind... what do you guys think!?
Old 12-18-08, 03:41 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think, since you have a 2GS, that you would be more inclined to upgrading to a 3GS. However, unless you are looking at something smaller and sportier, then I am guessing you would be more interested in a 2IS. You can't go wrong with either choice though, good luck!
Old 12-18-08, 03:41 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by infa_red
thinking of trading in my 2GEN GS for a 2nd gen IS250/350 or 3rd Gen GS cant make up my mind... what do you guys think!?
With the way the economy is going, you'll take a big hit on your car. Do you still owe money on it too?

What's the reason you want to upgrade? Just for a change of scenery?
Old 12-18-08, 03:52 PM
infa_red
Driver

I know I'll take a big hit on my car, i just recently got it last yr November for 20,000 with 80km its now 102km. I've been to a few dealers in the past month, they told me they would give me between 10-12,000 for my car. I financed my car so right now i would owe about 17 and change on the car i have right now. The reason i want to change my car is because i want something of a more "modern" look without having to mod the car and i originally wanted a white or black car.
Old 12-18-08, 03:58 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently picked up an 03 GS430 so I do have a great appreciation for them, and I'm modding it as we speak. That said, if I could get a 3rd gen GS350 I would. It took me a little while to warm up to the look of the 3rd gen, but I have warmed up to it a lot. Interior wise its a no brainer for me as I think the 3rd gen interior is a step up.

However, being that you own $17K and they would give you about $12K, you'd be upside down by a out $5K. I wouldn't do it at this time. I would wait until maybe 6-8 more months when you are at least even or own less than what you can sell/trade the car in for then make your move if you still want to make a change.
Old 12-18-08, 04:18 PM
infa_red
Driver

thats true you do have a point... i would be really losing a lot of money but if i keep it for a few more months will i not lose value of my car that they would give me now? i would get less 6-8 months down the line no?
Old 12-18-08, 07:09 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

I would stick with the GS, it's a great car with brute power. It's just not worth to take such a large hit on a trade especially with the way the economy is right now.
Old 12-18-08, 08:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

infa_red, you have a significant debt right now and if you trade up your debt will get substantially higher. unless you expect a windfall of cash or big increase in income, i'd work on lowering your debt a LOT before any thought of changing cars.
Old 12-18-08, 08:30 PM
LexFather

Mahn I'm in the same boat, except my GS is almost paid for. I flip flop so much. We shall see.

I follow bitkahuna's advice so I recommend what he said.

Oh I also would wait as dealers will get more anxious to sell as this economy continues to stall and cars continue to pile up on lots.

Old 12-18-08, 11:17 PM
infa_red
Driver

ahh u guys are going to make me keep my car lol i guess its a better decision though financially wise
Old 12-19-08, 12:41 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ahh u guys are going to make me keep my car lol i guess its a better decision though financially wise
no one's making you keep it.
Old 12-19-08, 02:22 AM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should buy an IS-F
Old 12-19-08, 02:59 AM
muhbuhtuh
Lexus Champion

keep it!

but seriously, you should keep it cause you still have so much to pay off still
Old 12-19-08, 03:37 AM
infa_red
Driver

Originally Posted by muhbuhtuh
keep it!

but seriously, you should keep it cause you still have so much to pay off still
yeah, you guys are right i guess i'll just do that then and probably get a tte front lip to make it look a little bit diff or something lol i dont even know what to do with the car
Old 12-19-08, 11:11 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I will admit I bought my GS after driving a friends M6. It just made me feel like I wanted a new car. I bought the GS, and felt for a few weeks that I may have sold my G35 prematurely, but I am very pleased with the GS and the infiniti was giving me problems. In the end it worked ot, but if you can stretch it and shes not giving you issues I would stick with it

Quick Reply: thinking of trading in my 2GEN GS