Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Detroit Grand Prix is canceled for 2009

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-08, 08:32 PM
LexFather

Post Detroit Grand Prix is canceled for 2009

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...DATE/812180455

Thursday, December 18, 2008
Detroit Grand Prix is canceled for 2009
David Goricki / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- There will be no open-wheel race in the Motor City in 2009.

The Indy Racing League will announce Friday the Detroit Grand Prix will not be run next year.

The final open-wheel race at Michigan International Speedway was held in 2007, the same year open-wheel racing returned to Belle Isle after a six-year absence. Now, both events are gone.

Legendary car owner Roger Penske, who leads the Detroit Grand Prix event (scheduled for Sept. 4-6) as chairman of the Downtown Detroit Partnership, informed the Indy Racing League and American Le Mans Series that the event will not be held in 2009 because of poor economic times.

"Obviously, it's something we're disappointed in, but as good businessmen we've got to make a call," Penske told AutoWeek. "We have the assets to continue on, but there's no reason at this point to have an event that wouldn't be first-class.

"This is a real economic time of distress for everyone and we couldn't sit here and count on a lot of things happening that we know weren't going to happen, especially knowing we live in such a distressed area with unemployment and all the other things going on. We had to make the decision."

Bud Denker, chairman of the Detroit Grand Prix, said he is hopeful the race will return in 2010.

"Our goal is to get through this difficult time economically and hopefully get this back on track in 2010," he said. "It's difficult. We've been weighing this for a couple months now. The issue is with the Big Three and all the auto sponsorship ... it's a tough economic environment.

"We took a pause. We're trying to be prudent. It's not the right time to ask people (sponsors) for more. The good news is the IRL and the American LeMans Series want to come back."

Rookie Justin Wilson won the 2008 race on Labor Day weekend.

Old 12-19-08, 12:37 AM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every racing series will take a major hit next year, no matter which one you follow, 2009 will not look like racing as we have come to know it.
Old 12-21-08, 09:41 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

everything from GT, F1, NASCAR, to the ALMS will have cuts and cancellations. Its a sad sad time in the auto industry. I think they saud its the worst time in the past 26 years for the US automakers
Old 12-21-08, 09:49 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

atleast LONG BEACH is still on!!!
Old 12-25-08, 10:55 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

for now. Who knows what they will announce next month