Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Toyota Venza

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-08, 08:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Review: 2009 Toyota Venza

By CL request (and my own curiosity), a review of the 2009 Toyota Venza AWD V6.

http://www.toyota.com/venza/index.html

In a Nutshell: A good Subaru Outback competitor.....and something long overdue from Toyota.

I got several CL requests for a new Toyota Venza review, not counting, of course, my own curiosity and interest in this just-introduced vehicle. As a Subaru Outback owner, I wanted to see how well the AWD Venza stacks up against the Legacy/Outback (quite well, as we will shortly see). To some extent, this car brings back the AWD All-Trac Camry and Camry Wagons that were dropped long ago (in the late 80s to mid-90s) and SHOULD have been kept. Not only that, but this car, IMO, is long overdue in the marketplace.....it should have been introduced at least several years ago. Except for the much smaller, Corolla-based Matrix and its Pontiac Vibe twin, Toyota has basically ignored AWD regular passenger cars/wagons in the American market, and limited its AWD to higher-stance car and truck-based SUVs (and the Sienna minivan). Even the AWD Matrix/Vibe was dropped for a couple of years and just recently brought back again. Shame, shame. But Toyota has, for a couple of years now, made AWD available on some regular passenger cars in its Lexus line, both gas and hybrid-powered. Honda, unfortunately, made the same basic error, dropping the tall, AWD Civic wagon some 20 years ago, limiting its AWD and later SH-AWD to car-based SUVs and recent Acura RLs. The latest Acura TL and TSX are just getting around to offering the SH-AWD now, but there are still no wagon versions of these models like the Vensa and Subaru Outback. And there are still no AWD Honda-nameplate cars in the American market. Fortunately, some European manufacturers have continued to offer AWD and passenger-car-wagon bodies here in the American market without dropping them.

Ah, the wonderful world of auto marketing....it never ceases to make my day. Anyhow, back to the topic...the new Venza. Right now, in the American market, two basic models of the Vensa are offered....FWD and AWD versions of Toyota's 3.5L V6 with 268 HP and 248 ft-lbs. of torque. Later on, in January 2009, FWD and AWD versions will be offered with a 2.7L in-line four with 182 HP and 182 ft-lbs. of torque. Only one transmission is, and will be, offered....a 6-speed automatic sequential Sport-manual shift. No manuals are planned for the American market. The Toyota people at the local shop said that the Venza is not done on the Camry platform, but I'm not convinced....IMO, there are just too many mechanical similiarities to the Camry and Highlander to convince me otherwise. The Venza is even built in the Camry/Avalon/Highlander plant at Georgetown, KY. The Lexus ES350 and RX350, of course, are also done on the same basic platform, but in different, Japanese plants.

The Venza, as indicated earlier, will compete more or less directly with the Subaru Outback, FWD/AWD versions of the Ford Taurus X wagon (until the Taurus X is dropped), and FWD/AWD versions of the VW Passat wagon. It will also compete, though less directly, with the somewhat more upmarket AWD Volvo XC70 (which I recently reviewed), Audi All-Road, and some AWD BMW xi 3-series wagons, which are more expensive. A Lexus version of the Venza, of course, would compete even better with the upmarket European AWD wagons. Lexus, IMO, should seriously consider an upmarket version of the Venza, especially since one of the Venza's weak points is road/wind noise at higher speeds (more on that below). Lexus, of course, could handle that problem with its noted abilities in sound isolation.

Well, I've waited a long time to review and drive this vehicle, and, of course, the CL requests as well. Toyota, in another marketing error, should have brought one to the last Washington, DC Auto Show, for display for us to see, and didn't (the Detroit show, of course, got one)....so we had to wait, until now, for them to actually reach the local Toyota shops. But finally, they are here.....with the 4-cylinder models to arrive next month.

So, what is the new Venza like? Read on.

Model Reviewed: 2009 Toyota Venza AWD V6

Base Price: $29,250

Major Options:

Premium #2/NAV Package: $6935

Wheel Locks: $81

Destination/Freight: $720

List price as reviewed: $36,986

Drivetrain: AWD, transversely-mounted 3.5L V6, 268 HP @ 6200 RPM, Torque 248 ft-lbs. @ 4700 RPM, 6-speed sequential Sport-shift automatic transmission.

EPA Mileage Rating: 18 City, 25 Highway

Exterior Color: Classic Silver Metallic

Interior: Light Gray leather

PLUSSES:

Good basic platform, IMO, for a future (?) Lexus version.

Toyota-smooth, quiet, refined, reasonably powerful V6.

Toyota engines now have timing chains instead of belts.

Easy, push-button engine start/stop.

Versatile 6-speed, silky-smooth, quiet transmission.

Nice, relatively firm power-steering feel, unusual for Toyota and electric power-steering units.

AWD has only 1 MPG gas-mileage penalty over future FWD versions.

Excellent Toyota Venza company web site.

Good ground clearance.

Relatively nice seat leather.

First-Aid Kit available as stand-alone option for only $29.

Emergency Assistance Kit is only $70.

Relatively good underhood layout.

Remote engine start available.

Nice paint color choice.

Typical Toyota/Lexus-superb paint job.

Relatively solid-closing doors.

Remote engine start available.

Nice-quality exterior trim/hardware.

Versatile cargo area.

Excellent front/rear headroom and legroom.

Superbly-finished sun visors.

Virtually Lexus-grade stereo sound quality.

Nice wood-tone and soft-touch plastic interior trim.

Clear, brightly-colored, backlit gauges.

Generally good interior hardare quality.

Clever, well-done console-slider compartment.

Well-done, controls/stalks except for NAV/stereo/climate.

Built at Georgetown, KY with American labor.

MINUSES:

4-cylinder and FWD models not yet available (but soon will be).

AWD system from transverse-mounted engine more complex than on boxer-engine Subarus and fore-aft mounted engines.

Mediocre brake response.

Significant road/wind noise at higher speeds (over 50).

OK but not particularly smooth ride.

Relatively slow steering response.

Awkward zig-zag shifter.

Moderate body roll.

Heavy steel hood with cheap prop-rod.

Expensive Comfort and Premium packages (if so equipped).

Huge 20" wheels unnecessarily large on V6 model (19" on the 4 cylinder).

Too-large D-pillars block some rear vision.

Geeky (IMO) styled headlights and taillights.

No lower-body cladding to protect against road debris.

Poorly designed rear wiper arm.

Steel/plastic rear liftgate.

Flat front seat cushions have little side support.

Poorly-finished cargo area (no carpet).

Temporary spare tire.

Complex NAV/stereo/climate controls.

Stereo/climate-control readout too high on the dash.

Rather flimsy glove box.

EXTERIOR:

The first impression of the Venza, as you walk up to it, is that the styling is almost totally unlike anything else Toyota offers in the American market. There is a small amount of similiarity to the Corolla and Camry in the grille, but with more slats and lot more chrome. I find the headlights (as well as the taillights) somewhat awkward and geeky-looking, though not as extreme as the headlights on the Prius. There is no question, though, that it is a 5-door wagon, although, like on some other "wagons", the rear hatch slants forward some (and takes up some cargo room). The large, thick, forward-slanted D-pillars may look stylish, but they block some outward visibility. The sheet metal quality is (fortunately) a step up from that of some other recent Toyotas, which have tended to be on the flimsy side. The hood, for example, is heavy enough that it takes a little muscle to lift it.....more on that below. The hatchback, though, somewhat unusual, is half-metal (lower) and half-plastic (upper), with a small plastic spoiler on top. All four doors close reasonably solidly....again, a noticeable improvement from some other recent Toyotas. Exterior trim and hardware is solid, well-done, and of reasonably high quality. The heated outside mirrors have generally solid housings and swivel/snap-lock easily. The rear wiper arm doesn't pull away from the glass far enough to easily change the rubber blade or the arm.

Paintwork, of course, as expected, was virtually flawless....Toyota and Lexus generally lead the industry in getting a smooth, even, glossy finish, even on cheap entry-level models (and there is no annoying extra charge for metallics and Pearl/Mica paint like with European manufacturers). There are nine Venza paint colors offered, and I found at least four of them nice and to my tastes...Tropical Sea Metallic, Aloe Green Metallic, Barcelona Red Metallic, and Sunset Bronze Mica. The Bronze was a little dull, but still classy. There is no cladding around the lower-body, wheel wells, and lower-bumpers, like on some of the Venza's competitors, to protect the paint from damage from road debris......an odd oversight, considering that this vehicle will likely be used, especially in AWD form, in sloppy weather and on messy road surfaces. Toyota, however, does offer splash guards as an accessory....they offer some protection, but IMO are no substitute for good cladding. There is good ground clearance, however, underneath (8.1"), for mud and deep snow....and, of course, for getting that hose under there and getting the salt and sand off after a drive on winter-treated roads. The 20" (yes, TWENTY inch) wheels, IMO, look way oversized and out of place on this type of car........an over-the-counter Venza is not something that you are going to put into a SEMA or custom-car show. Even the upcoming 4-cylinder model due out next month will have 19 inch wheels. Just doesn't make sense to me. But, at least, the wheels have a handsome, 5-spoke, mag-type design.

UNDERHOOD:

Open the solid...and heavy.....steel hood, and a cheap prop-rod to fumble with greets you. Not only is this car a little pricey, IMO, for a prop-rod, but the weight of the hood itself would seem to call for struts (It's not the heaviest one I've seen, but is pretty hefty for some weaker people). The underside of the hood has a nice insulation pad, which makes the already silky-smooth, quiet V6 even quieter. The basic layout underhood was pretty good.....I had few complaints. The rather big 3.5L, transversely-mounted V6 fits in OK....a little on the tight side, but not bad. There is room to reach some components in front of and behind the block, although the top of the engine is covered by a big, unnecessary plastic cover (my only real complaint). A big service plus on Toyota engines is that they now have timing chains instead of belts, so the front of the engine won't have to be uncovered to change the belt periodically. Just keep the oil changed (the chain runs in an oil bath) and the chain should last the life of the engine. The battery is fully exposed, uncovered, right up front, to the right of the engine, so it is an easy reach for anything you need to do to it. The other major underhood components (ABS hardware, computers, dipsticks, filler caps, reservoirs, etc...) are all relatively easy to reach.

INTERIOR:

The inside of the Venza is generally a pretty nice place. My test car had an attractive two-tone black/light gray leather theme (actually very light dove-gray). The leather itself had a fairly nice feel and quality, but not as smooth or silky as on the typical Lexus. There was plenty of headroom and legroom front and rear, even for tall persons. With the seat adjusted for me in front, I could practically swing my legs around, limo-like, in back....and I am 6' 2". The Venza trounces the Subaru Outback on seating space inside. The wood-tone trim is classy, well-done, attractive, natural-looking, and covers the console and parts of the door panels. A clever multi-adjustment on the center-console gives you cupholders, a DEEP bin-compartment, and regular storage. The sun visors (a cost-cutting point on some new vehicles) feel superb, with solid hardware, THICK, soft, durable-feeling padding/fabric, elastic holders, and, of course, vanity mirrors. The gauges are clear and easy-to-read. The big, back-lit central speedometer has attractive double-blue rings, and the MPH is in increments of 10, 20, 30, etc....., which I prefer, rather than today's more common 20, 40, 60, etc.... The upper-dash material is a nice, textured, semi-soft padding, matched by the material in the center of the attractive three-spoke leather-wrapped steering wheel. The wheel, as usual, included several adjustment buttons for stereo/telephone functions. The parking brake is left foot-operated, under the dash, rather than a pull-up lever on the console that I usually prefer, but I had no problems using it, so I didn't list it as a complaint. The inside door panels are a major improvement from some other recent Toyotas, with nice textured semi-soft touch material, wood-tone trim, and chrome door handles. There are overhead reading lights even for passengers in back. Most of the interior hardware, stalks, and buttons feel solid and operate smoothly, though the volume-adjustment **** for the stereo, with its gray paint, looked and felt a little cheap. The superb stereo itself sounded pretty much like that in a lower-level Lexus vehicle...it was hard to tell the difference. The steering column had manual tilt/telescope features. The tilt function was smooth; the telescoping function somewhat less so, but not enough to complain.

I had only a couple of minor complaints about the interior, and one serious one. The glove box felt a little lightweight and flimsy....a problem in a number of today's cars. The front seat-bottom cushions lack some side support, and were rather flat....but this is not a sharp-handling sports car where you would need a lot of side bolstering to hold you in, anyway. My only real complaint inside was, in this NAV-equipped car, with the overly-complex stereo/NAV/climate controls in the middle of the dash, which, IMO, were frustratingly complex, even without an I-drive-type controller. It took a lot of fiddling on the screen and with scrolling/buttons to do even some simple things with the stereo. The digital readouts for the stereo/climate adjustments are very high on the dash, right below the windshield, IMO too far away from the adjustment *****/buttons down below. The Venza is not alone in this.....its sister Toyota Avalon also has the dash readouts too high up on the dash and too far from the controls. I have yet to see a factory NAV-equipped vehicle, from ANY manufacturer, with controls I actually liked (though, in general, the upmarket German cars are the most complex). I will probably never own a NAV-equipped car, for that very reason, unless some major design changes are done...I just don't like the way the controls are integrated. Call me old-fashioned if you want, but I like simple, clearly-marked, buttons, levers, and *****. On the plus side, though, the Venza's upper-dash readouts were super-clear and easy to read....just hard to adjust some of them, that's all, except for the easy-to-adjust stereo-volume and dual-zone temperature *****.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

Lift up the rear hatch (it is not as heavy as the hood because the lower part is steel and the upper part is plastic, but the plastic, of course, is less durable), and you are treated to a versatile, reasonably roomy cargo area, though the somewhat forward-slant to the hatch gate itself cuts into a little of the cargo room. An optional electronic push-button, part of the Premium package, automatically lowers the lid back down (watch your head). A hand-scoop is carved into the lid to pull it back down for cars that don't have the button. The cargo area itself is poorly finished, especially for a $37,000 car. Both of the trunk walls are hard plastic. There is more plastic on the floor (with an all-weather rubber cover like on Subarus). The lift-cover for the temporary spare tire (a car in this class should have a real spare) is also plastic....there is no carpet anywhere, unusual for a modern car.

However, Toyota made up for some of this skimping inside the cargo area with some nice versatile features. Some nice, chrome-metal (not plastic) cargo tie-down hooks are built into the lower trunk walls. Power plugs are also built into the walls. A nice, roll-out pull-shade helps keep cargo from prying eyes....it can be taken out for bulky items (you would be surprised at the number of wagons that economize and don't offer that standard pull-cover anymore). And nice, solid, easy-to-reach remote levers (also built into the trunk walls) make a snap out of lowering the split-rear seats for more cargo space.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the ubiquious, 3.5L Toyota/Lexus V6 with your foot on the brake, the electronic actuator in the vicinity, and a nice START/STOP button. The engine, as expected, comes to life with the classic turbine-smooth, quiet idle this engine is famous for....you pretty much have to look at the tach to make sure it's running. It's always a pleasure to drive this engine, and today was no exception. On the road, it was not a dragster, but provided smooth, quiet power without the annoying exhaust drone some vehicles have. The 248 ft-lbs. of torque won't win NHRA contests, but there is enough grunt, even with the weight/drag of the automatic transmission and AWD, to give you a slight shove in the back.

The 6-speed automatic transmission, with a Sport-shift manual gate, provided smooth, quiet operation as well. The shifter, which protrudes from the lower part of the dash, SUV-style, instead of the console, had an annoying zig-zag pattern, but otherwise operated smoothly and crisply. Transmision shifts in both automatic and manual modes were smooth and quiet. There are no shift-paddles on the steering wheel...all manual shifting is done with the lever in the Sport-shift gate. The AWD system is seamless, but in general, it operates more or less like Acura's SH-AWD system (though somewhat less sophisticated) by distributing torque front-to-back and side-to-side as needed. In regular crusing mode, it operates mostly to the front wheels for economy. It is somewhat more complex, however, than Subaru's simpler system, with the boxer-engines, that doesn't require the extra gears to connect it to the transverse-mounted drivetrain like the Venza does. That's because the Venza's basic platform, shared with the Camry/Avalon, was designed for FWD, and AWD was later added to it.

Handling was a mixed bag. The electric power steering pump provided firm, positive steering feel (unusual for a Toyota), but steering response was rather slow, and accompanied by some body roll. The Venza, like its competitors, sits a little lower than a typical SUV, and that helps some with preventing excessive body roll. Ride comfort from the suspension and huge 20-inch, 50-series all-season tires was fairly smooth on good surfaces and borderline firm on choppy bumps. 4-cylinder models, when they arrive, will get 19-inch, 55-series tires that should ride slightly smoother. The unsprung weight under the suspension from the AWD hardware, of course, adds a slight bit of firmness, but even so, the ride/handling combination is not quite up to the level of Subaru's Outback.

The Venza, surprisingly, very un-characteristically for a Toyota, has noticeable road and wind noise, especially as you get up to cruising speeds. Perhaps this is partly a function of the poorly-finished cargo area, with no carpet in it to absorb the inevitable noise filtering in from the back, but that's only a guess on my part. In any event, the sound insulation and window-sealing could use some work....though we are talking only in relative terms here. The Venza's road/wind noise certainly is not as noisy as, say an MR2 or a Jeep Wrangler. Brakes, while no major problems, could also use a little work.....the pedal action at first is is quick and immediate, but then brake response is rather slow, and the brake action is not linear or progressive. Fortunately, there are no problems with the pedal spacing and my big shoe hanging up under the brake pedal.

THE VERDICT:

While, of course, the Venza does (and will) compete with a number of similiar vehicles, its closest and most obvious competitor here is Subaru's successful Outback, so that is the primary comparison I'm going to make here. But, even as an Outback owner myself, I can (and will) be completely fair and objective here. If I wasn't objective, or couldn't be, I wouldn't be wasting my time (and yours) here with a review.

The Venza beats the 6-cylinder Outback in engine smoothness, transmission flexiblity (it has more gears), interior seating space, paint quality/smoothness, exterior sheet metal, stereo quality (though the new Harmon-Kardon stereo in 2009 Outbacks is its equal), storage compartments, remote rear-seat folding, and the availablity of options like engine remote-start and the powerlift-gate button. The Outback, however, fights back with a better ride/handling combination, a more efficient and better-proven AWD system, a better-finished cargo area, easier-to-adjust stereo/climate controls even in its NAV version, better brake action, less wind/road noise, and slightly better engine access underhood.

So, the Venza is a nice vehicle, but still needs some work. However, it is a nice enough vehicle that I am still fairly impressed with it, especially the drivetrain, and I would be almost as happy in one myself, providing that it was a non-NAV model with easier controls, as I am in an Outback.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-26-09 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-18-08, 09:35 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only had the chance to drive the 4cyl model at the LA Autoshow. Wasn't very impressed by it on their road course they let us drive though. Overall I do agree with most, if not all your pros/cons

Great review man
Old 12-18-08, 09:54 PM
LexFather

So Mike, your next vehicle?
36k isn't too bad considering the last generation Highlander loaded was just as much.

Old 12-18-08, 09:58 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RX350, of course, are also done on the same basic platform, but in different, Japanese plants.
Whoa whoa whoa whoa!

Don't forget about us Canadians up here in Canada. We build the Lexus RX350 as well. lol
Old 12-18-08, 10:10 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good review.

Pretty much what I expected from Toyota.

Mike, I know you love your Subarus. Do you think the Venza is ready to conquer the market, in a way that the Outback hasn't quite achieved? Or do you think people will be unimpressed by it, and go either the Camry or Highlander ways?
Old 12-18-08, 10:35 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the review, I'm looking at getting a Venza for my parents to replace their 2000 Sienna. They love Toyota/Lexus products and the Venza is the perfect car for them.
Old 12-18-08, 11:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by eyezack87
I only had the chance to drive the 4cyl model at the LA Autoshow. Wasn't very impressed by it on their road course they let us drive though. Overall I do agree with most, if not all your pros/cons

Great review man
Thanks.

I'm surprised they didn't have the V6 there. In my area here (Washington, DC ) we got the V6 before the 4.

Remember, though, it is not meant to be a sports car. It's not a bad handler for its type of vehicle, but it's clearly not the best in its class in the ride/handling department.
Old 12-18-08, 11:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
So Mike, your next vehicle?
I don't have any more standing requests right now, except for the new BMW 7-series when it comes out. I also plan to spend a little more time on domestic-nameplate cars....which I've neglected to some extent. I'm especially waiting for the new Camaro. I had planned the new Cadillac CTS-V as the special holiday review this year, but there were just too many problems getting unsold samples and test-drives (dealers are afraid to let them out, even with responsible guys like me), so I did the Audi S5 instead, which I had more requests for.

36k isn't too bad considering the last generation Highlander loaded was just as much.
This vehicle (Venza) is essentially a slightly lower-stance Highlander. Look for the upcoming 4-cylinder version to be (probably) somewhat cheaper than the V6.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-19-08 at 12:27 AM.
Old 12-18-08, 11:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Whoa whoa whoa whoa!

Don't forget about us Canadians up here in Canada. We build the Lexus RX350 as well. lol

If I did, in fact, neglect to mention a Canadian Lexus plant, my apologies. I didn't know that the RX350 was built there under the Lexus nameplate (some U.S-market Lexus products are built and sold overseas as Toyotas).

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-19-08 at 12:26 AM.
Old 12-19-08, 12:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Good review.
Thanks, Phil.

Pretty much what I expected from Toyota.
There are some improvements from other recent Toyotas, especially in body/hardware solidness and interior materials.

Mike, I know you love your Subarus. Do you think the Venza is ready to conquer the market, in a way that the Outback hasn't quite achieved? Or do you think people will be unimpressed by it, and go either the Camry or Highlander ways?
I think some women will be interested in the Venza because it is easier for them and kids to get into and out of than the taller Highlander, yet retains pretty much the same capabilities (except the Highlander Hybrid, of course). It also has convienent push-button starting for women that have to fumble around with a lot of packages or grocery bags.....they can just keep the "key" in their purse. For those who don't live in really foul-weather areas, the upcoming FWD and 4-cylinder Venzas will get a little better mileage.....but the AWD does almost as well as the FWD in the MPG department.

The Outback, in a way, DID do some conquering (hey, it got MY money ).
Seriously, Subaru was almost ready to pull out of the American market in the mid 1990's, until some of their designers got the wild idea of taking a Legacy wagon and raising it up just high enough to give it SUV-capabilities in bad weather, some macho-looking trim, and car-like road manners (it was, of course, actually a car, though marketed as an SUV). The rest is history.

And, last, I will be somewhat interested in a Vensa myself if Subaru screws up the next Outback the way they did the new Forester (and if I don't go with a smaller Outback Sport).

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-19-08 at 12:25 AM.
Old 12-19-08, 12:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Thanks for the review,
Sure. Glad it helped.

I'm looking at getting a Venza for my parents to replace their 2000 Sienna. They love Toyota/Lexus products and the Venza is the perfect car for them.
If they like the Venza, fine, but you can get AWD in a Sienna if you want.....the only minivan in the American market that offers it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-19-08 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-19-08, 12:48 AM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Great review!

To me, the Venza represents the next step in the evolution of the automobile as Americans know it. It's so much easier for me to get into a tall vehicle than it is to get into a sedan, yet I don't need the off-road abilities of a real SUV. Crossovers are still too tall and heavy, but just a little lower and even more road-oriented than a CUV would be perfect. And the Venza is exactly that.

Actually, in the Asia-Pacific market these cars already exist, albeit smaller. There's the Toyota Picnic, Honda Stream, and probably some more that I don't recall.
Old 12-19-08, 06:35 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Stellar... question Mike: IYO, is it worth trading out of a Sienna? Seems to be very similar... you lose 3rd row, what would you gain? Better mileage, better AWD, I believe towing is same (3500lbs) so curious as to your take... Also, practically hauled my finished basement from the Depot via the Sienna, they seem close in rear storage? And easy to reconfigure the seating???

Lastly, as this reminds me so closely of our Sienna (MUCH more aggressive and appealing in looks, however) you mention the same problem inherent in our Sienna: Road noise. Has been there since the day we got it, above 50mph. Just part of the ride to us now, I believe Toyota's explaination was the air flow over the roof rails created the issue in the Sienna. No roof rails on the Venza sooooooo ....

Great write-up as always!
Old 12-19-08, 07:12 AM
D.Jobin
Lexus Test Driver

Wait, so this isn't a direct carry over from the new RX?
Old 12-19-08, 07:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by superchan7
Great review!
Thanks.

To me, the Venza represents the next step in the evolution of the automobile as Americans know it. It's so much easier for me to get into a tall vehicle than it is to get into a sedan, yet I don't need the off-road abilities of a real SUV. Crossovers are still too tall and heavy, but just a little lower and even more road-oriented than a CUV would be perfect. And the Venza is exactly that.
Yes. And that's why the rival Subaru Outback is so popular. The Venza may give it some competition.

Actually, in the Asia-Pacific market these cars already exist, albeit smaller. There's the Toyota Picnic, Honda Stream, and probably some more that I don't recall.
They existed here, too, back in the late 1980's. The tall, AWD Honda Civic and Nissan Stanza wagons were the best examples. Once again, the bozo marketers dropped a good useful vehicle when they should have kept it.

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Toyota Venza