Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Works on New MPVs

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-08 | 09:26 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Lightbulb Toyota Works on New MPVs

Toyota Working on Yaris Sized MPV that Seats 7
The Toyota Yaris may be an efficient way of getting from point A to point B, but it’s not exactly the roomiest car on the road. But despite its spatial shortcomings, Toyota engineers are convinced they can create a 7-passenger MPV out of a vehicle no bigger than a Yaris.

Toyota engineers learned a lot from building the iQ city car, and the Japanese automaker is looking to spread that knowledge to other Toyota vehicles. “We’re looking to transfer the clever engineering and packaging solutions to more Toyotas,” Toyota chief engineer Hiroki Nakajima told AutoExpress. “For example, we’re working on a seven-seater that’s the size of the Yaris.” Nakajima even claims his engineering team will be able to give the tiny MPV “limo-like legroom in the back”.

Thankfully, Toyota will also be using some of its engineering know-how to create some more practical models. Toyota is reportedly working on another 7-passenger MPV that would be based on the next-generation Prius. That hybrid MPV would use lithium-ion batteries and could be to market by 2012.

While we’d bet on the Prius-based MPV making it to the U.S. market if it ultimately gets the green light, we can’t exactly imagine Americans flocking to a Yaris-sized minivan.

Old 12-19-08 | 09:35 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

7 children maybe...put full size adults in there and sardines come to mind...
Old 12-19-08 | 09:50 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Sounds like it might be another Mitsubishi Space Star, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Space_Star

I remember those wagons in Mexico.
Old 12-19-08 | 10:20 AM
speed_Demo
Pole Position

More legs room...just make the dashboard smaller??

I can only picture that vehicle in Japan or Euro market. Kids here in US already weight 160 in middle school easy. Or average adult is around 180lbs.
Old 12-19-08 | 12:10 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Why a new 7 passenger Prius when you could just hybridize the Venza?
Old 12-19-08 | 04:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

you guys need to read about iQ - new Yaris will be based on iQ platform, where major car components were re-invented to make interior space longer... many components like front axle, power steering, A/C, fuel tank were completly redesigned and all new parts were used to make it more space efficient.

What Toyota is saying now is that in space of Yaris (or slightly bigger as next Yaris will probably got tiny bit up), they could fit interior space of Corolla Verso (Mazda5)...

As to the Prius MPV - Prius has lightweight (and more expensive) platform, which is needed for hybrid system.... For hybrid vehicle, it would be much better to make it based on Prius platoform, which is more space efficient and lighter than Camry/Venza/Highlander.
Old 12-19-08 | 08:35 PM
LexFather

The iQ was a breakthrough.

However more MPVs and boring vehicles from Toyota is another big blah, who cares.
Old 12-20-08 | 01:14 AM
superchan7
Lead Lap

7-seater Kei subcompacts don't belong in the US. Bring the Previa back, and a new 5-seater MPV as well.
Old 12-20-08 | 02:33 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

one driver and 6 prisoners yes.
Old 12-20-08 | 03:56 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by superchan7
7-seater Kei subcompacts don't belong in the US. Bring the Previa back, and a new 5-seater MPV as well.
Quoted for obvious truth (time for the Previa to return to America and Europe)...

Btw, my dad and I test drove it and indeed it is no wonder why it became my all-time favorite Japanese minivan/mpv

This van is a hot-seller in my country (to the point that I see more of these unlike Kia Carens/Rondo or similar vehicle that Mitsubishi is selling here)
Old 12-20-08 | 09:35 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blackraven
This van is a hot-seller in my country (to the point that I see more of these unlike Kia Carens/Rondo or similar vehicle that Mitsubishi is selling here)
The Previa sells pretty good in Taiwan too if I am not mistaken. I think the recently jailed former president was taken into custody by this van...
Old 12-20-08 | 11:31 AM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Why does he get such stylish transportation, anyway?

The van sells pretty well in various regions of East and SE Asia. If I'm not mistaken, the current Previa is a little smaller than the Sienna, which is a step in the right direction. Bring the design here, have it made in the USA...and sell it in spades. Please.
Old 12-22-08 | 02:40 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by superchan7
Why does he get such stylish transportation, anyway?

The van sells pretty well in various regions of East and SE Asia. If I'm not mistaken, the current Previa is a little smaller than the Sienna, which is a step in the right direction. Bring the design here, have it made in the USA...and sell it in spades. Please.
Hehe it may be aimed at a higher class of society........but it sells surprisingly.

Anyhow, here's a casual review of it from one of the local newspaper publishers here and it is pretty comprehensive (for a super-casual review). Be advised though that some parts of it may be cheesy (as it is a Halloween 2008 Special) but I think you'll find it quite interesting

http://blogs.inquirer.net/roadtrip/2...toyota-previa/
Old 12-22-08 | 04:35 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

For some reason. I like it!
Old 12-22-08 | 10:29 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

interesting that Estimas are called Previas in the PI. either way, I need to move cuz it sux knowing all the cool shiz is overseas and we get the crap they 'think' will be better for middle America. I would love to get a more modern Estima, but have no desire for the Sienna

Quick Reply: Toyota Works on New MPVs