Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Prius On and Off Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-08, 12:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I can vouch for the fact that the Prius does seem to have somewhat of an unreliable headlight issue......I see a number of one-eyed ones running around my area, even on relatively new ones. I'm not an engineer, but, as a guess, it may have to do with the car's high electronic complexity....more so than the competing Honda Civic Hybrid. Other than that, though, the Prius is just about bulletproof......according to Consumer Reports, it's hard to find a more reliable car.
lol...

I have never seen Prius "headlight" issue which destroys lights (and not bulbs). We had some very specific Toyotas with issue of burn out headlights but for those models, Toyota covered the costs even outside the warranty, as is the case usually when problem becomes common and TSB is issued.

In this case, Prius was outside the warranty hence replacement costs (due to mileage)... otherwise it would be replaced under warranty.

Prius headlights are not any different than any other Toyota headlights when it comes to technology, there is nothing specific to Prius.
Old 12-22-08, 12:42 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Sienna XLE Limited and the Prius use the same HID setup. The Sienna however uses a regular 9005 high beam bulb and the Prius uses a solenoid operated "cap" to provide high-beam function.

When the HIDs in our Prius goes out, and if Toyota doesn't warranty them, I'm giving cliffud a ring.
Old 12-22-08, 01:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
lol...

I have never seen Prius "headlight" issue which destroys lights (and not bulbs). We had some very specific Toyotas with issue of burn out headlights but for those models, Toyota covered the costs even outside the warranty, as is the case usually when problem becomes common and TSB is issued.

In this case, Prius was outside the warranty hence replacement costs (due to mileage)... otherwise it would be replaced under warranty.

Prius headlights are not any different than any other Toyota headlights when it comes to technology, there is nothing specific to Prius.
I don't know what you are lol'ing about. That's what I was refering to....the proliferation of one-eyed Priuses from all sources, including burned-out bulbs.
Bulbs can burn out prematurely from a number of sources, including bad fuses or regulators that allow too much current through the wiring...not enough for the wires to catch fire, but enough to cook the bulbs early.
Old 12-28-08, 01:35 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They're still shorter than the Celica which nearly does touch the windshield!

Yeah I've seen a few one-eyed Priuses around here and we don't have the HID option but they're mostly taxis so I'm guess they're shorting out faster cause they run 24/7 (we have DRLs that use the low beams at slightly reduced power)
Old 12-28-08, 01:42 PM
LexFather

I guess I'll start paying attention but I've never had an issue with Prius Headlights. Now Acura owners and their HIDs, either one is out or they have high beams on or the headlight is not aimed or they some ignorant 20k HID aftermarket crap in. Not sure why this disease severely plagues 3rd gen TL owners but I attribute it to the "Hondaisim" they are born with. I verbally told a moron "hey you high beams are on, turn them off".

Old 12-28-08, 05:53 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The TSX doesn't have adjustable headlight aim so if there's 5 people on board, you better hope you have your sunglasses on.
Old 12-28-08, 07:39 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Nextourer
The TSX doesn't have adjustable headlight aim so if there's 5 people on board, you better hope you have your sunglasses on.
None of them do, except the latest RL. They use the cheapest HIDs possible. Anyone remember how the last gen TL/CL were getting their headlights stolen left and right? lol