Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How many people think LA & OC freeway need some improvements?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-08, 07:34 AM
howat
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The prominent threats in LA are not the road conditions but rather the massive exodus which can be demonstrated from 5:30 am to 10 pm every single work day. Even weekend traffic sucks nowadays.
Improvements can be made by giving less people driving rights, IMO. The infrastructure was not intended for the exodus - especially ones that are observed on a daily basis.
Old 12-22-08, 08:38 AM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
I've traveled on pretty much every major freeway here in socal....and I see no major instabilities or immediate dangers...

Wow, does your car do automatic geological and infrastructure surveys as your driving or something?
Old 12-22-08, 08:39 AM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
traffic doesn't seem as backed up. You guys got it good

your kidding, right? you think there's more traffic in Hawaii than some cities in the mainland?
Old 12-22-08, 08:41 AM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

btw, I'm moving to Cali in less than a month and one of my biggest concern once I move there is the "next big quake." I'm afraid I'm going to be cruising on the highway and suddenly the highway section in front of me collapses or something.
Old 12-22-08, 08:43 AM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by howat
The prominent threats in LA are not the road conditions but rather the massive exodus which can be demonstrated from 5:30 am to 10 pm every single work day. Even weekend traffic sucks nowadays.
Improvements can be made by giving less people driving rights, IMO. The infrastructure was not intended for the exodus - especially ones that are observed on a daily basis.

And it'll get worse as more illegals come in. There are already more than 2 or 3 times the estimate that the US government thinks there are of illegal immigrants. I know this because I'm from a certain minority (we also have illegals) and the government's estimate for the total population in my ethnic group if only half the real number, and we have to cross the pacific to get here. The "illegals" only have to jump a fence.
Old 12-22-08, 09:30 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 748 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
btw, I'm moving to Cali in less than a month and one of my biggest concern once I move there is the "next big quake." I'm afraid I'm going to be cruising on the highway and suddenly the highway section in front of me collapses or something.
Earthquakes are no big deal. The ground shakes and then you pick up the crap that falls. We aren't falling off the earth...
Old 12-22-08, 09:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Earthquakes are no big deal. The ground shakes and then you pick up the crap that falls.
.........unless you either are under something that falls, or end up falling WITH something.
Old 12-22-08, 09:54 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

your kidding, right? you think there's more traffic in Hawaii than some cities in the mainland?
I do, for the limited distance traveled, I bet we are right up there in time per mile. Traffic literally comes to a complete stop on the freeway for 30 seconds or more multiple times in just a short 5-10 mile distance. The mainland may spend more actual time on the freeways, but they also cover a lot more distance in that time. During normal no accident morning traffic it can take up 1.5-2 hours to travel 20 miles from the West side of the Island. That one day when they had to shut down the freeway headed to the west side of the Island, it took people 10-12 hours to get home through alternative routes. And this is just to travel about 20-25 miles.

I've driven multiple times in afternoon traffic from San Diego back to LA and while traffic is backed up as far as the eye can see, at least you are traveling at a steady 25 or so MPH and not dead stopped or traveling at 5-10 miles per hour. It is much more relaxing when you don't have to come to complete stops on the freeway IMHO. Sometimes I can go 5+ miles without my speedometer even raising off the zero mark.

But yes it is true, every time I go to the mainland at least on the west side and California I love driving there. We dive all over California from San Diego, LA, San Francisco, to Las Vegas often in afternoon traffic and I think its alright.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 12-22-08 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-22-08, 10:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I have lived in southern cali most of my life and hated the bumpy freeways. Now that I live in phoenix, when I go back to cali and drive the freeways feel like someone dropped a bomb on the roads
Doesn't pavenent warp in Phoenix from the scorching summer heat?
Old 12-22-08, 10:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ryeno
If you've ever driven in the midwest or north east, you'll realize that la/oc freeways are above average in terms of quaity. Hell those reflectors on the road make them some of the best in america.
Correct to some extent. Freeways in the Northeast D.C.-Boston corridor are bad from big-city political/budget corruption, deterioration and neglect, except for the toll roads, where there is a constant money source for maintenance. Same farther west, in the Great Lakes Snow Belt area.....the brutal winter conditions, enormous amounts of salt, and constant freeze-thaw cycles tear them up something awful. Michigan, right in the center of the Snow Belt, has perhaps the most torn-up roads in the country......with northern Ohio and western New York State right behind.
Old 12-22-08, 11:54 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cali highways are heaven compare to the roads in the north east. I drove from San Fran all the way to LA and I drove around LA and it was bliss!

I drive around here and it feels like my fillings are being shaken lose, and I am 20 years old Not to mention the massive pot hole craters here that can send you airborne lol. They stopped filling in the craters here, right now all they've been doing is putting metal slaps over it so at least they will still be there the next day.
Old 12-22-08, 01:08 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, does your car do automatic geological and infrastructure surveys as your driving or something?

well if you want to take it sarcastically, sure.

But seeing as how I haven't heard of a segment falling into the earth, or an overpass collapsing, and since I'm still here posting... (along with other members who traverse the LA/OC freeways on a daily basis...)
Old 12-22-08, 01:12 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

shouldn't this be moved to regional
Old 12-22-08, 05:51 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Allen K
Earthquakes are no big deal. The ground shakes and then you pick up the crap that falls. We aren't falling off the earth...

The next "big quake" is projected to be a 7.8. There will be a little more than ground shake and you pick up the crap.
Old 12-22-08, 05:54 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I do, for the limited distance traveled, I bet we are right up there in time per mile. Traffic literally comes to a complete stop on the freeway for 30 seconds or more multiple times in just a short 5-10 mile distance. The mainland may spend more actual time on the freeways, but they also cover a lot more distance in that time. During normal no accident morning traffic it can take up 1.5-2 hours to travel 20 miles from the West side of the Island. That one day when they had to shut down the freeway headed to the west side of the Island, it took people 10-12 hours to get home through alternative routes. And this is just to travel about 20-25 miles.

I've driven multiple times in afternoon traffic from San Diego back to LA and while traffic is backed up as far as the eye can see, at least you are traveling at a steady 25 or so MPH and not dead stopped or traveling at 5-10 miles per hour. It is much more relaxing when you don't have to come to complete stops on the freeway IMHO. Sometimes I can go 5+ miles without my speedometer even raising off the zero mark.

But yes it is true, every time I go to the mainland at least on the west side and California I love driving there. We dive all over California from San Diego, LA, San Francisco, to Las Vegas often in afternoon traffic and I think its alright.

lulz @ taking 1.5-2 hours to travel 20 miles. To make a simple point, it once took me and my family over an hour to cross the 2 mile long George Washington Bridge. That was a really bad day, but if you think 2 hours for a 20 mile distance during peak time in any big metropolis is such a big deal, you're wrong.

Quick Reply: How many people think LA & OC freeway need some improvements?