Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How many people think LA & OC freeway need some improvements?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-08, 06:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
well if you want to take it sarcastically, sure.

But seeing as how I haven't heard of a segment falling into the earth, or an overpass collapsing, and since I'm still here posting... (along with other members who traverse the LA/OC freeways on a daily basis...)
I don't live there, but I know there were some freeway bridge/ramp collapses during the big Torrence quake of 1994. I remember seeing pictures of them.
Old 12-22-08, 06:31 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 94 quake was in Northridge.

They fell in '94, and haven't fallen yet (but there hasn't been a "BIG ONE"), but he mentioned immediate dangers--like the overpasses are shaky due to faulty construction...
Old 12-22-08, 06:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
the 94 quake was in Northridge.

They fell in '94, and haven't fallen yet (but there hasn't been a "BIG ONE"), but he mentioned immediate dangers--like the overpasses are shaky due to faulty construction...
Thanks.....You're right. Typo on my part.....I had remembered it as Torrence. But I definitely remember scenes of collapsed bridges and ramps.
Old 12-23-08, 03:44 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
lulz @ taking 1.5-2 hours to travel 20 miles. To make a simple point, it once took me and my family over an hour to cross the 2 mile long George Washington Bridge. That was a really bad day, but if you think 2 hours for a 20 mile distance during peak time in any big metropolis is such a big deal, you're wrong.
How is it once you get on the freeway though? Metro and city surface streets are an entirely different animal. I'm talking about the freeway system. If Hawaii and Alaska are ever included in traffic studies, it shows we fare much better in total time wasted in traffic than other major cities. We are a little less than half the time spent in traffic compared to California's average hours/year. That sounds really good, but we also travel roughly half the average distance to commute to work as well. California generally tops the nation for the worse traffic, but what I was saying in my first posts is the freeway system seems to move cars at a faster average pace during traffic time which makes it less stressful too me at least than the slower stop and go that I experience on our freeway system even if its a shorter distance than what I cover when I'm in California. Because I'm on vacation when I'm in California, we often drive from city to city to visit friends and family. I've been in the traffic hour mess between LA and San Diego and backwards many times. You can cover 125 miles in 4-5 hours in traffic. Even if it took 6 hours that still over 20 miles traveled in an hour.