Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Genesis Coupe 380GT Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-08, 08:55 PM
Lexwang07

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Hyundai Genesis Coupe 380GT Review

Anybody Korean clublexus members understand this video. I don't have translator this video. Sorry.

http://www.car-tv.tv/vod_pop/vod_Pla...r_world/cw0054
Old 12-20-08, 11:00 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Cant help you man, but I am sure it is a solid performer. with a 3.8 that thing should have some tuning room left compared to its relatively standard hp rating
Old 12-21-08, 12:38 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why is it called the Genesis coupe when it appears to share virtually nothing on paper with the Genesis sedan? The interior is way different, so are the power train options, and I really really doubt that they ride or drive anything alike because if they did that would be a seriously cushy coupe which is not at all what the styling or marketing of the car suggests.
Old 12-21-08, 11:55 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool video, thanks for sharing
Old 12-22-08, 03:31 AM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
Why is it called the Genesis coupe when it appears to share virtually nothing on paper with the Genesis sedan? The interior is way different, so are the power train options, and I really really doubt that they ride or drive anything alike because if they did that would be a seriously cushy coupe which is not at all what the styling or marketing of the car suggests.
I think what Hyundai is doing is test the waters for a new luxury car brand....they want genisis to turn into the next lexus and these are there first 2 products......I have a feeling the next gen. of these products wont even wear the hyundai name
Old 12-22-08, 04:22 AM
CBG
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It kinda reminds me of the Infinity Coupe.
Old 12-22-08, 06:15 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by CBG
It kinda reminds me of the Infinity Coupe.
Infiniti. And yes the style takes a lot of cues from the G35/37 coupes. Although I don't think it's executed quite as well as the G coupes. My favorite is still the G35 coupe.
Old 12-22-08, 08:51 PM
shoehead
Driver

This is as closely as I can translate. None of my opinions have been inserted. But unfortunately I ran out of interest around half way point and thus the descriptions decrease.
Title-Young Suks Car World
The Genesis coupe is not a pure sports car like Porsche, but a sports car with a shared platform with genesis luxury sedan, but its goal is to be a sportty car. Competitors include such cars as the audi t t, infiniti g35 coupe, “BMW 3-7”(I dunno, that’s what he said) sedan. The genesis coupe and sedan represent how far Hyundai has come in the industry and what Hyundai is capable of. They want to prove that they can make a legit sports car. The video is about testing whether the GC meets the criteria of sports cars when it comes to engine performance, structure (mainframe rigidity), handling, sound.
--------2.50min mark-------max HP 303-----max tq 36.8 kg/m-------0-100kmph 6.5----
The GC features the same engine as in the “Ramda??” 3.8. Factory rating is 290hp but through tuning it reaches 310hp. When you step on it, it feels like its begging for more. The sound you get sounds like the sound from classic American muscle cars, the type that Americans like. Power is important but you also have to mate it to a good tranny to make it work. Hyundai has a 6 speed tranny but technology isn’t there yet and it is using a german (getrag??) tranny. Then goes on to compare german (getrag???)tranny with Japanese Eisen?? Tranny. Says Getrag?? is more ”DYNAMIC” then the smoother Eisen??. Hopefully the dual clutch trannys will be an upcoming feature in the near future. The weight distribution is 54% front to 46% back. So it is a little front heavy. The engine has 80.8hp per liter, rival infiniti g37 has 89.2 HP per liter. The engine is bigger cc wise but falls behind a little from the competition in extracting HP. It is difficult for Hyundai to clearly state these short comings due to sensitivity. Next goes on to compare power to weight ratio, with competitors g37 and BMW M3. This is Hyudais first attempt at a sports car and thus has many areas of needed improvement compared to the competition.
--------------9.0 mark-------(Kind of getting bored)
Top end power and the speed it generates once it gets going is impressive. (Quote as best I can translate).-->“Ummmm…. The over whelming power this car generates at high speeds is ……awesome………is something I cannot say, but it is COOL…… I can say there is a definite increase in speed when you step on it.” “The enjoyment of true driving is not determined by a person’s technique but their willingness to enjoy the car.” “Please don’t judge the good and bad of this car”
----10.40 mark-------
It feels like the car has a little bit of a tendency to oversteer once power is applied and understeer under hard cornering.
-------14.33 mark------
There is minimal body roll. (He then rephrases). The body roll has been significantly reduced for a Hyundai.
EXTERIOR section is subjective so I will leave out.
Interior-again subjective. Back seats are trunk accessible.
Overall test impression. The new Hyundai genesis coupe meets the criteria for being a sports car. But as with any first gen car there is much needed improvement. Handling needs to be improved. It is most unfortunate that the timing for released is not good, due to the economy. Overall I am very proud that a Korean car co. can produce a car that can compete with current market competitors. END

Feel free to correct me if im wrong on the translations or interpretations. Cause my Korean is very minimal.
Impression- I think this guy is sugar coating much of what he says, or/and he doesnt know what he is talking about. I won’t say much more, but feel free to ask questions. Im looking forward to a proper review of the car.
Old 12-23-08, 09:55 PM
LexFather

Thanks shoehead. I still love this car on paper. Can't wait to drive it.

Old 12-24-08, 12:28 PM
nn432100
Lead Lap

Nice, thnx for taking the time to translate it!
Old 12-24-08, 01:12 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by shoehead
It is most unfortunate that the timing for released is not good, due to the economy.
I think it's a great time, cheap alternative on a time when people ARE cheap
Old 12-25-08, 10:38 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by biggie27
I think what Hyundai is doing is test the waters for a new luxury car brand....they want genisis to turn into the next lexus and these are there first 2 products......I have a feeling the next gen. of these products wont even wear the hyundai name
I have read that the gensis name will be the name of a new luxury branch from hyundai. This genesis is only in its genesis . LOL