Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota debuts FT-EV, Prius plug-in late "09, 10 new hybrids by 2010 (pg. 2)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-08 | 11:37 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
CL Folding 25,000

Default Toyota debuts FT-EV, Prius plug-in late "09, 10 new hybrids by 2010 (pg. 2)

Toyota dropped the teaser of teasers this morning in the form of a logo and a two sentence press release announcing the debut of a "battery electric vehicle concept" that will bow at the Detroit Auto Show in less than three weeks. The EV will join the 2010 Toyota Prius on the show stand, but as you can see in the release, there's no word on what kind of batteries the concept will be using, what sheetmetal it will wear or what direction Toyota hopes to take with this new EV.

PRESS RELEASE

TORRANCE, Calif., Dec. 22 -- Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. will display a battery electric vehicle concept at the 2009 North American International Auto Show. This display marks the world debut of this concept vehicle.
Old 12-22-08 | 12:20 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

yay......,,,
Old 12-22-08 | 12:27 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Volt killer...
Old 12-22-08 | 12:38 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Where are the sport cars Toyota? MR2, Celica, Supra? Looks like more Radio Shack lithium ion cars for the pen protector wearing crowd.. lol

Old 12-22-08 | 02:40 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Where are the sport cars Toyota? MR2, Celica, Supra?
Unfortunately, they are not profit-driven products. They address a small group of enthusiasts, who are now willing to go to other automakes rather than Toyota.

If Toyota builds it, they will sell in low numbers, and have poor resale value. In a business stand-point, that is worse than the minimal approval and praise from a handful of enthusiasts.

As far as the original topic is concerned, I believe that this is just a small step into using alternative sources of power. I think Toyota is going very well addressing these issues (they better be with all their R&D). If they did well addressing hybrids, I think they'll do well with electric vehicles.

And although the article states that Toyota's info is rather vague, I wouldn't count against it. Toyota is rather secretive about their future products, but I hypothesize that they've got something interesting in the works for the near future.
Old 12-22-08 | 07:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i hate concept vehicles.
Old 12-22-08 | 07:47 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Where are the sport cars Toyota? MR2, Celica, Supra? Looks like more Radio Shack lithium ion cars for the pen protector wearing crowd.. lol

While I agree Toyota is asleep with sports cars, this is also appropriate.

Old 12-23-08 | 04:09 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

GM gave competitors years to prepare a Volt competitor because they couldn't keep their mouth shut. I knew this would happen.
Old 12-23-08 | 06:53 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Default Toyota Electric Car

In todays car news http://evworld.com/news.cfm?newsid=19986
This might be tempting for my local running around town.

23 Dec 2008 HEADLINE

E-Com was the last dedicated electric car designed by Toyota
http://www.evworld.com/press/toyota_e-com.jpg

Toyota Announces Electric Concept Car

Source: EV Worldwire
Class: PRESS RELEASE

SYNOPSIS: New Toyota concept car to be debuted at 2009 Detroit Auto Show will be battery powered.

With what has to be the most cryptic press release ever to emerge from Toyota's Torrance, California-based media group, the company announced in two short sentences that it will be revealing a battery-powered electric concept car at the 2009 North America International Auto Show in Detroit. At the same time, it released a close-up view of a logo that the car will carry. No other details of the car were revealed.

The last dedicated electric car the company manufactured was the E-Com, a small two-seat runabout, built in limited numbers during the late 1990s. Toyota also manufactured some 1,500 RAV4 EVs, which were battery versions of the company's popular small sport utility vehicle. Several hundred continue to operate in California, Florida and elsewhere. These vehicles are powered by NiMH batteries.

Through its joint venture with Panasonic in Japan, Toyota is developing advanced lithium ion batteries for future hybrids and presumably also for electric cars. Earlier this year, it also formed a special battery research unit to identify and investigate more powerful chemistries beyond lithium, in the hope of finding batteries that allow electric cars to drive further and last longer.

From the lessons learned on the RAV4 and E-Com, it can be assumed the concept car will be a four-passenger model that is intended to be a urban commuter, which could someday compete against a short list of other electric cars in the works from companies like Nissan, Tesla, Pininfarina-Bollore,Think and BYD, the latter slated to debut a production battery version of its F3DM plug-in hybrid in 2009.
Old 12-23-08 | 07:00 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Unfortunately, they are not profit-driven products. They address a small group of enthusiasts, who are now willing to go to other automakes rather than Toyota.

If Toyota builds it, they will sell in low numbers, and have poor resale value. In a business stand-point, that is worse than the minimal approval and praise from a handful of enthusiasts.

As far as the original topic is concerned, I believe that this is just a small step into using alternative sources of power. I think Toyota is going very well addressing these issues (they better be with all their R&D). If they did well addressing hybrids, I think they'll do well with electric vehicles.

And although the article states that Toyota's info is rather vague, I wouldn't count against it. Toyota is rather secretive about their future products, but I hypothesize that they've got something interesting in the works for the near future.
Poor resale value what is this based on??? Please look at the selling price for a RAV4 EV $60,000 I have seen a number of these go at this price.
Old 12-24-08 | 02:47 AM
ren495
Pole Position

awesome!!! I really hope a EV Lexus is coming (so I don't have to buy a Fisker or a Tesla). I want to build a true 21st century 100% energy independent home and buy 2 electric cars= live 100% energy independent. None of my money going to Putin in Russia or those Jihad freaks in middle east. Plus my kids will thank me for the cleaner air someday, lower asthma rates in cities like L.A. etc...

Can't wait for the NAIAS
Old 12-25-08 | 10:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

They were not going to let the volt just walk into the market with no answer from the boys at toyota
Old 12-26-08 | 08:49 AM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

If I like what I see at the NAIAS in NYC I probably will go down to my local dealer and place an order.
Old 12-26-08 | 09:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ren495
awesome!!! I really hope a EV Lexus is coming (so I don't have to buy a Fisker or a Tesla). I want to build a true 21st century 100% energy independent home and buy 2 electric cars= live 100% energy independent. None of my money going to Putin in Russia or those Jihad freaks in middle east. Plus my kids will thank me for the cleaner air someday, lower asthma rates in cities like L.A. etc...
you're gonna have one ugly and EXPENSIVE property COVERED in solar panels.
Old 12-26-08 | 09:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by herbvdh
If I like what I see at the NAIAS in NYC I probably will go down to my local dealer and place an order.
it's a concept car, u won't be able to place an order.

Quick Reply: Toyota debuts FT-EV, Prius plug-in late "09, 10 new hybrids by 2010 (pg. 2)