Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Winter entertainment for motorcycle riders:

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-08, 03:50 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Winter entertainment for motorcycle riders:

Is the bike tucked up for winter? Or are you riding less and less as the weather gets colder and nights get shorter? Here's a few ideas to keep you busy over winter and deal with the bike withdrawal symptoms.

Whatever aspect of biking you're into, there's something below to keep you occupied this winter. Improve your fast riding technique with well respected theory from Keith Code, follow Ewan & Charlie around the world or kick back with biker classic Easy Rider.

Here's just a few suggestions to keep you entertained this winter:

On Any Sunday (DVD)
On Any Sunday is a documentary following the lives of motorcycle racers and enthusiasts. Made in 1971 and featuring Steve McQueen, it's artistically shot and beautiful to watch. The Director Bruce Brown is a pioneer of the surf film and he brings the same kind of cool sub-culture feel to this documentary. Great for lazy winter viewing.

Hells Angels motorcycle club (book)
Photographer Andrew Shaylor was given unique access to the world of the Hells Angels and this book of over 300 images is the outcome. Flick through for an insight into the people, parties, bikes and clubhouses that make up their unique and controversial sub-culture.

SBK08 (computer game)
This World Superbike racing game is available for most consoles. It has 5 difficulty settings, ranging from an easy arcade mode to a more demanding full on simulation mode, giving you access to telemetric data from your laps and control over bike set-up. All the tracks are there and accurately represented, so you can learn the lines for Brands Hatch from the comfort of your couch this winter.

The World's Fastest Indian (DVD)
Based on the true story of Burt Munro, an eccentric New Zealander who, against all odds, set multiple land speed records at the Bonneville salt flats in the 1950s and '60s. It's a great feel-good movie, funny and touching, with an eye-opening sense of speed from some of the bike scenes.

The Doctor, The Tornado And The Kentucky Kid (DVD)
Narrated by Ewan McGregor and directed by Mark Neale, this documentary covers the epic MotoGP race weekend back in 2005 when Rossi, Edwards and Hayden clashed in Laguna Seca. As the first MotoGP round held in the US since 1994, it was a massively anticpated race and this DVD gives the riders perspective on things with interviews and voice-over commentary.

Long Way Round (book)
The original and best Ewan & Charley adventure. In 2004 these two set off around the world on two wheels, helping bring bikes into the mainstream with a travel documentary anyone could watch and enjoy. Whether you think they're hardcore overlanders or pampered actors, the trip itself was epic and this book still makes an interesting read.

Easy Rider (DVD)
Probably the most famous biker road movie, but for good reason. Filmed in 1969, two hippy bikers hit the road in search of America. A well-chosen soundtrack, beautiful shots of bikes on wide open highways and thought-provoking dialogue make this a film you can watch again and again.

A Twist Of The Wrist II (book)
In A Twist Of The Wrist II, Keith Code lays down the theory and principles of safe and fast riding in a clear and accessible way. The ideas in this book are relevant for any road rider, whether you're looking to improve safety or chase faster corner speed. It focuses on three key areas- throttle control, rider input and steering- and features useful diagrams to hammer home the science of biking.
Old 12-22-08, 06:13 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long Way Round the DVD is actually quite fun. My dad has the set and it was very funny.
Old 12-23-08, 12:39 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks bro. i was looking for something like this..

i really want to improve my knowleage before spring!!!!.... i'm going to try that Keith Code Book...
Old 12-23-08, 06:17 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993ES300x
Thanks bro. i was looking for something like this..

i really want to improve my knowleage before spring!!!!.... i'm going to try that Keith Code Book...
While I whole-heartedly condone Keith Code, i would caution some of his perspectives on steering; most notably that he doesn't endorse body steering, contrary to the likes of Freddie Spencer and most racers. Besides that, it's an excellent source of information for riders...

Last edited by ST430; 12-24-08 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-23-08, 10:23 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You forgot
Ghost Rider
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx1CkPcICaY
Old 12-26-08, 04:43 PM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drunk_dave
this dude is insane.. wow.. i would never do stupid stuff like what i see on the video.... but i guess it was somewhat entertaining..
Old 12-26-08, 04:48 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

World's Fastest Indian is a great movie.
Old 12-26-08, 06:38 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

thx for sharing..

got playstation to keep myself entertained though..
Old 12-26-08, 07:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

I still have the original Twist of the Wrist. Code's books are more about the mental game than the physical riding. It took me a session following Donnie Green around Sears Point (I guess that really dates me..) to fully understand the importance and power of steering with your feet.

All the references here are excellent - I've only missed the MotoGP DVD. I got Pit Passes to the 1991 F-1 races at Laguna Seca. It's very cool to be just a few feet away from world class machinery and world class riders. Wish I was that fast...