Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New car: 08 Scion tC RS4.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-08, 07:10 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New car: 08 Scion tC RS4.0

Hey guys,
I finally traded in the old crappy 1995 ES300 for a Scion tC RS4.0
The car comes in Galactic Gray Mica with a 5spd manual. I got a great deal on this because it was the last 08 tC they had in stock. I'm a fresh college grad and I wanted something somewhat sporty and good on fuel economy. Once I get some more money and want to upgrade to something more fun (RWD or AWD) I'll trade in but for now this is perfect. It'll have decent resale value (it already gets high resale as a base model) because it's rare. It was time to retire the old tired ES300. This is my first ever new car that I have purchased myself, I know it ain't no Lexus but it's what I could get myself into at this time.

Base vs. RS (+$2770):
-special numbering plate no. 1510 of 2300
-special paint (meh...)
-factory body kit that only the RS gets
-alcantara seats with tC RS 4.0 embroidered in the seats (front and rear seats)
-razo dark wood shift ****
-leather wrapped wheel

It was installed with (stuff I didn't ask to install but was already on there):
-TRD front strut tie bar $245
-TRD sport muffler $525
-B-pillar carbon fiber applique $75
-rear bumper applique $58
-aluminum sport pedals $79

Mike Marshall since I know you'll probably read this, I'd love if you could give me some break in tips!

I take delivery in the next couple of days. Hopefully will get to take some pics (we got hit with some snow storms over the weekend).
Edit: Pics

Some other interesting facts that you should know about Scion if you're looking to buy.
-They can and will lower the price on vehicles if they have a few left in stock, they can do this because their pure price policy just means that they have to set the price and can't negotiate on that price. So if they wanted to they could set ALL of their tCs to a flat rate lower than MSRP but then they don't make as much money. I paid 17,600 for my tC with an original price tag of 21,500
-If you're a new graduate within 2 years past or will be graduating in the next 6 months they will throw in a discount off the pre-sales tax price. Mention this if you want the discount. You will however have to finance through TFS (Toyota Financial Services).

Last edited by Koma; 01-04-09 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-22-08, 07:11 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

let's see some pixs
Old 12-22-08, 07:15 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by suicidesam
let's see some pixs
When I go to pick it up I'll get some pics.

The color looks much better in person. I thought in pics the color was poo-poo but it grew on me as I looked at it in the dealership.

Edit: last pic (stupid 10 image limit)

Last edited by Koma; 01-04-09 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-22-08, 07:19 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats on the new car, I'm surprised on the pricing discount, did they play with your trade in number in order to lower the purchase price on their car?
Old 12-22-08, 07:23 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by pbm317
Congrats on the new car, I'm surprised on the pricing discount, did they play with your trade in number in order to lower the purchase price on their car?
Nope. The trade-in was pretty terrible to be honest. It's what you get for having a 13 year old car with 220k+ miles on it. The car was priced low because it's end of the year and as long as they lower all their tC RS 4.0 manuals (they only get a limited amount like 2 or 3 at best) to the same price point they can get away with it. So say if I was walking in to buy a regular 08 tC and they had 3 left in stock in manual. They can lower the base price (before accessories) and get away with it because they are setting the price for all remaing 08 tCs in manual to the same price.
Old 12-22-08, 07:53 PM
LexFather

Congrats, post pics!!

Old 12-23-08, 07:25 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Congrats. Got any pics of it yet?
Old 12-23-08, 07:33 AM
Koma

Patience my fellow CLers. I'm at work still! I might be able to pick it up today. Might.
Old 12-23-08, 07:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Mike Marshall since I know you'll probably read this, I'd love if you could give me some break in tips!
Sure...be glad to. And congragulations on the new car .......I didn't know Scion did a tC version now with the 4.0.

For the first 1000 miles or so:

1. Don't exceed 4000-4500 RPM on the tach.

2. Don't accelerate full-force.

3. No drop-clutch or brake-torque starts.

4. Vary the engine speed up and down......by that, I mean don't drive long distances at exactly the same RPM, like, say, on the Interstate. If on a freeway, accelerate up and down, lightly, a little.

5. Don't use the brakes full-force except in an emergency or to avoid an accident.

6. Don't tow anything, even if the vehicle is rated for it (a Scion probably isn't).

7. Consider an early oil change, right after break-in, to remove the shavings and wear particles from the oil. This, however, is becoming less important than in the past, because of better oils, filters, and better engine-manufacturing techniques today.

8. Get a bottle of SCRATCH OUT for the paint. It's great stuff, and will take out all kinds of surface scratches, stains, etc.....as long as they are not too deep, and keep the paint like new. In fact, PM me with your name/mailing address, and I'll send you a 7-oz complimentary bottle of it as a holiday/new car gift.....I often give it to people with new cars.
Old 12-23-08, 10:18 AM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on your tC RS4.0!!!!!
Another reason they may have lowered the price on it is because the tC RS5.0 is a few months away

I like the galactic gray color though looks nice in that car
Old 12-23-08, 12:09 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrat's!! I wish you many miles of smiles!
Old 12-23-08, 12:36 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver

Grats on the new TC! Let's see those pics when you pick it up!
Old 12-23-08, 01:12 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Congrats, very nice car!!
Old 12-23-08, 08:33 PM
Koma

I took delivery today but didn't have my camera on me and it wasn't charged. So you'll instead get some outside shots (I don't have a covered garage or lot) after our recent snowstorms!

So far I love it!
Old 12-24-08, 07:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
I took delivery today but didn't have my camera on me and it wasn't charged. So you'll instead get some outside shots (I don't have a covered garage or lot) after our recent snowstorms!

So far I love it!
You may want to check the tire pressures....or have the dealership do it. that's a very common screw-up with new-car delivery. Toyota usually recommends 30-35 PSI for most of its products...32 is the norm, but since you have a sport coupe, it may be a little higher.

New cars have their tire pressures pumped way up when they ride on the transporter, to keep the tires from getting flat-spotted or from soft tires allowing the wheels from hitting the truck/train bed on bumps. When they get to the dealership, the PDI (pre-delivery inspection) guys are supposed to bleed them down to the recommended figure......and then re-check them when the car is delivered. Many times they don't, despite the fact that they're supposed to...that's their jobs. That's why I always take my best tire-pressure gauge with me, on car reviews, and check them myself before a test-drive.....tire pressures that are off can adversely affect ride, steering, handling, and road noise level.

If/when the tires are checked, it should be when they are still cold, after sitting at least 3 hours, not sitting in the sun (which heats them up and expands the air inside of them) and/or driven less than a mile...they also heat up on the road.

If you check the tires yourself, try not to let too much air hiss out when you first put the mouth of the gauge over the air valve.....that's always tricky, even though I've been doing it some 40 years. If you aren't careful you can let 1-2 PSI out just checking them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-24-08 at 07:18 AM.

Quick Reply: New car: 08 Scion tC RS4.0