Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

my friends, need some help with a hyundai

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-08, 08:18 PM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my friends, need some help with a hyundai

ok i know this is a lexus forum but you guys are very knowledgable and i consider you to be friends so i need some help for my girlfriends car, she has a 2000 hyundai elantra and the following is something i posted in a forum for her car, thanks in advance guys

She has a 2000 elantra, on thursday night she broke down. The car wasnt getting enough electricity. The battery wasnt charging basically and it seemed as though the alternator was dying. They went and had the battery tested and it tested good. The following day we jumped it, drove a little and jumped it again several times to get it to go about 5 miles. It seemed as though the car was running on what juice was in the battery alone. Once we got it to autozone they tested the alternator and concluded it was bad. We bought another one and installed it. We aqlso had them hook the battery up on the charger before putting it in and firing it up. We started the car and had the guy from autozone test everything. He said that the votls (i think) or maybe the amps coming from the alternator was low, it was running at a 12 and its supposed to be at 14. The test was conducted by hooking up straight to the eyelets on the battery. Since then she is able to drive the car during the day as long as nothing in the car is running but if you turn the lights on or anything else for that matter it starts dying down. Her brother had told us about a 100a fuse to change out, we bought one and checked it out, fuse wasnt bad but we changed it out anyway. The only thing we can think of is it has to be somewhere in the wiring. What do you guys think?
Old 12-22-08, 08:27 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Somehow my finger would still point back to the battery. I've seen batteries that tested out okay only to die a bit later. I very much remember my OEM battery when I was in Mexico and having the infamous 1:00 A.M. show up on the clock and had it tested and it said okay, but it surely wasn't. Best thing would be to switch it out with another battery from another vehicle to test it.
Old 12-22-08, 08:33 PM
RayN
Driver

Try a different place to test your battery. You replace the alternator already. Seems like the problem points out to the battery. Make sure the terminals are clean and tight.
Old 12-23-08, 12:11 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by UNOHOO
ok i know this is a lexus forum but you guys are very knowledgable and i consider you to be friends so i need some help for my girlfriends car, she has a 2000 hyundai elantra and the following is something i posted in a forum for her car, thanks in advance guys

She has a 2000 elantra, on thursday night she broke down. The car wasnt getting enough electricity. The battery wasnt charging basically and it seemed as though the alternator was dying. They went and had the battery tested and it tested good. The following day we jumped it, drove a little and jumped it again several times to get it to go about 5 miles. It seemed as though the car was running on what juice was in the battery alone. Once we got it to autozone they tested the alternator and concluded it was bad. We bought another one and installed it. We aqlso had them hook the battery up on the charger before putting it in and firing it up. We started the car and had the guy from autozone test everything. He said that the votls (i think) or maybe the amps coming from the alternator was low, it was running at a 12 and its supposed to be at 14. The test was conducted by hooking up straight to the eyelets on the battery. Since then she is able to drive the car during the day as long as nothing in the car is running but if you turn the lights on or anything else for that matter it starts dying down. Her brother had told us about a 100a fuse to change out, we bought one and checked it out, fuse wasnt bad but we changed it out anyway. The only thing we can think of is it has to be somewhere in the wiring. What do you guys think?
UNOHOO- This story doesn't make sense. Where did you buy the alternator? And if you bought it at Autozone and then they tested it afterwards and it showed producing 12V, why in the world didn't they give you another ? (because that one is no good!) You can't expect a battery to stay charged up with an alternator producing 12V. They were right, you need it to produce at least 14V to keep the battery charged. If the alternator is indeed charging 12V- replace it! I agree that the battery needs to be tested again, by someone else, and the alternator also. But if they test the same as you reported, make them give you another alternator! My brother got 4 rebuilt alternators for his sons car some years back before he got a good one. I bought a rebuilt for my sons Camaro some years ago and decided to check it before I installed it (trusting rebuilt about as far as I could throw them). When I pulled it apart I discovered one of the 3 field wires twisted completely off when they used an impact wrench to tighten the 3/8 nuts. Saved me the work and frustration of installing it and having to take it back off. Just because you installed a rebuilt DOES NOT MEAN YOU GOT A GOOD ONE! Rebuilt alternators especially are notorious for being of poor quality. It is obvious that most of them are never tested to see if they even work, much less produce the proper voltage!

Last edited by code58; 12-23-08 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-23-08, 06:39 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Same thing with starters,I think they just clean them up,re-paint them and throw them back on the shelf. As code mentioned,have them give you another one,and make sure it produces 14 volts.Or,go to a reputable salvage yard,buy a nice used one,and return the supposed rebuilt one,and get your money back. As I mentioned,I went through this with starters around14 years ago. I had gotten so good at replacing them, I even did one in a Giant(food store)parking lot,in under 15 minutes!(on a 1985 Chevy Cavalier)
Old 12-23-08, 07:08 AM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by code58
UNOHOO- This story doesn't make sense. Where did you buy the alternator? And if you bought it at Autozone and then they tested it afterwards and it showed producing 12V, why in the world didn't they give you another ? (because that one is no good!) You can't expect a battery to stay charged up with an alternator producing 12V. They were right, you need it to produce at least 14V to keep the battery charged. If the alternator is indeed charging 12V- replace it! I agree that the battery needs to be tested again, by someone else, and the alternator also. But if they test the same as you reported, make them give you another alternator! My brother got 4 rebuilt alternators for his sons car some years back before he got a good one. I bought a rebuilt for my sons Camaro some years ago and decided to check it before I installed it (trusting rebuilt about as far as I could throw them). When I pulled it apart I discovered one of the 3 field wires twisted completely off when they used an impact wrench to tighten the 3/8 nuts. Saved me the work and frustration of installing it and having to take it back off. Just because you installed a rebuilt DOES NOT MEAN YOU GOT A GOOD ONE! Rebuilt alternators especially are notorious for being of poor quality. It is obvious that most of them are never tested to see if they even work, much less produce the proper voltage!
hrmmmm, i didnt know that rebuilt ones were so unreliable, dood said they tested it prior to installation and it tested good, do you guys think that maybe if the belt isnt tight enough it could be slipping a tad and thats whats causing the shortage? reason i ask is this is the first time ive done anything like this and it more out of necessity than anything. well i think we will go have everything tested again after what you guys have said

btw i posted this in a hyundai forum, only got 1 reply and dood didnt say anything i didnt already know like "well sounds like youre not getting enough juice from the alternator" lmao

Thanks a lot for your help guys
Old 12-23-08, 07:10 AM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by lexus114
Same thing with starters,I think they just clean them up,re-paint them and throw them back on the shelf. As code mentioned,have them give you another one,and make sure it produces 14 volts.Or,go to a reputable salvage yard,buy a nice used one,and return the supposed rebuilt one,and get your money back. As I mentioned,I went through this with starters around14 years ago. I had gotten so good at replacing them, I even did one in a Giant(food store)parking lot,in under 15 minutes!(on a 1985 Chevy Cavalier)
yea this one was my cherry popper on alternators and we did it in the parking lot of autozone, in 20 degree weather.....in freezing rain....yea.....
Old 12-23-08, 10:58 AM
UNOHOO

UPDATE: so my girlfriend told me the belt was squeaking some here and there, i tightened up the belt going to the alternator and drove it to autozone to do some testing on the alternator, on the way there i turned on just about everything, full blast heat, lights, radio, using the power windows, etc. seemed to be working better since i did that, got to autozone and it came back over 14 volts. looks like it just needed tightened. i think were going to replace the battery soon though, hers may be a little on the weak side, thanks for all of your help and advice
Old 12-23-08, 11:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

UPDATE: so my girlfriend told me the belt was squeaking some here and there, i tightened up the belt going to the alternator and drove it to autozone to do some testing on the alternator, on the way there i turned on just about everything, full blast heat, lights, radio, using the power windows, etc. seemed to be working better since i did that, got to autozone and it came back over 14 volts. looks like it just needed tightened. i think were going to replace the battery soon though, hers may be a little on the weak side, thanks for all of your help and advice
There should be a belt tensioner to keep it from going slack as well. If the tensioner isn't working right, the belt will just get loose again and fail to spin the alternator properly. Check it for proper tension every couple of days until you are satisfied with it.......most mechanics recommend about a half-inch of belt tension (pushing it in with your fingers). If it's TOO tight, it will put too much pressure on the alternator pulley/bearings and wear them out. And if it's a long serpentine belt that runs several accessories at once like A/C, power steering, water pump, etc....( I don't remember if the Elentra has a serpentine belt), it can prematurely affect those components as well.
Old 12-23-08, 11:44 AM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There should be a belt tensioner to keep it from going slack as well. If the tensioner isn't working right, the belt will just get loose again and fail to spin the alternator properly. Check it for proper tension every couple of days until you are satisfied with it.......most mechanics recommend about a half-inch of belt tension (pushing it in with your fingers). If it's TOO tight, it will put too much pressure on the alternator pulley/bearings and wear them out. And if it's a long serpentine belt that runs several accessories at once like A/C, power steering, water pump, etc....( I don't remember if the Elentra has a serpentine belt), it can prematurely affect those components as well.
well theres like 3 belts under there so no worries on the serpentine, i can push it in probably a little less than half an inch, id half to check it again, i didnt know that about it being too tight though, tomorrow ill run it back down to autozone and use their belt tensioner, thanks mmarshall
Old 12-26-08, 04:29 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UNOHOO:
Failure to have the correct angle belt will result in discharging the battery also. My father threw a belt and ground it up on I 95 in the Carolina's we got the car to a service station that put on a belt got home forgot about it till battery trouble came up had car to dealer and had to replace the belt due to incorrect angle belt was not all the way in the pulley basically.
Old 12-26-08, 04:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

well theres like 3 belts under there so no worries on the serpentine, i can push it in probably a little less than half an inch, id half to check it again, i didnt know that about it being too tight though, tomorrow ill run it back down to autozone and use their belt tensioner, thanks mmarshall
Check the specs for your individual car first. For most cars in general, it's about a half-inch of belt play.