Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi: immature? (New ad going after BMW inside)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-08, 08:46 PM
Stokdgs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alot of good points - thanks for the effort to post them up.
I have always liked their shapes much more at times than the Bimmers I have had. But what about reliability ? Is it really improved that much over what it has been and used to be? I remember meeting a nice chap from Germany who told me that the word "Audi" in German means - "that damn car" This was during the times that Audi's were launching themselves out of Park into people, places, and things, remember that? It was either that or they didnt ever start for a variety of reasons, remember that ?
Now I know that they have improved hundreds of times over sinces those days, but is their reliability better than the other German marques ?
Oh, and I personally think what makes some of those people who think they are great drivers is really the Quattro kicking in and keeping them on the road when they should have gone off. It has to be one of their best engineering masterpieces out today; wish it could be an option on any car you buy..
Anyone know what kind of times the Audi line do at Nurburgring ?
Merry Christmas to all !!
DanF
Old 12-23-08, 09:37 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FKL
Audi has a lot to work on, but their marketing front is not one of them. The R8 spot during the Superbowl was one of the most talked about the next day. The Notes on Progress Olympics ad was one of the highest recognized during the opening ceremony. People may cry becuase they are calling out their beloved Lexus on less than perfect driving dynamics (A4 paralell parking spot), but the BMW-Audi ad-wars go back a few years (BMW "congragulting" Audi on S. African Car of the Year, then showing a picture of their "world car of the year" 3-series). It's quite great entertainment actually.

The ads are great, and it's about time somebody took a jab at the established German marques BMW and Mercedes-Benz. As was previously mentioned, Audi has been able to carve itself out as a top tier luxury auto maker, one reocgnized for performance, innovation and beautiful styling worldwide (The Japanese haven't managed this - Yet). Having a full range of automobies from entry level to high end exotic with the latest in powertrain technology doesn't hurt either.

Progress is Beautiful Ad: Even more stunning in HD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee89S8zk4pc
this one is great too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3j694UsxOg

you wont get it too much unless you see this one first

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agBA7...eature=related
Old 12-23-08, 09:48 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stokdgs
Alot of good points - thanks for the effort to post them up.
I have always liked their shapes much more at times than the Bimmers I have had. But what about reliability ? Is it really improved that much over what it has been and used to be? I remember meeting a nice chap from Germany who told me that the word "Audi" in German means - "that damn car" This was during the times that Audi's were launching themselves out of Park into people, places, and things, remember that? It was either that or they didn't ever start for a variety of reasons, remember that ?
Now I know that they have improved hundreds of times over sinces those days, but is their reliability better than the other German marques ?
Oh, and I personally think what makes some of those people who think they are great drivers is really the Quattro kicking in and keeping them on the road when they should have gone off. It has to be one of their best engineering masterpieces out today; wish it could be an option on any car you buy..
Anyone know what kind of times the Audi line do at Nurburgring ?
Merry Christmas to all !!
DanF

audi's never launched themselves into people places or things. the inability of people to properly operate their vehicle were the cause of those "accidents". however i do not believe any of the older audi were as reliable as today's audis, oil leaks along with wiring/electronic issues were large reliability problems. if you look at any late 90's and up mercedes, bmw, or audi you will find that many of the components from electric motors, sensors, relays, control modules, ect... are made by the same manufacturers. it's hit or miss sometimes with german cars in general i've seen plenty of older cars that have had ton's of problems and other that don't have a drop of oil coming off em. i think the biggest thing for these cars is maintenance maintenance maintenance. people start letting small problems go and then it just gets out of hand... i think audi's are becoming **** cars, and that's just unfortunate, they are really great cars and people are starting to buy them for status or to think that quattro can make a crappy driver drive like group b rally driver. i love audi and lexus, and to see audi/lexus take stabs at each other is lame, but they are competition. their current and future line up has a lot to offer and i think its just the beginning... again.....
Old 12-23-08, 09:53 PM
LexFather

Article on how Audi will beat Benz
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-mercedes.html

Old 12-24-08, 07:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Also their sales have been from DOWNMARKET products mostly even as they expand their "S" line.
The S line gets enormous competition from the BMW M series. The M series, after years of worship from the auto press, is so entrenched in the American market.....and in the minds of many Euro sport-sedan enthusiasts....that it is exceedingly difficult for the Audi S series to make inroads. It is somewhat (but not exactly) like the Titan and Tundra tryng to break into the American full-size pickup market, where the F-150 and Silverado, of course, have longed owned that segment.
Old 12-25-08, 10:55 AM
snowday
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The S line gets enormous competition from the BMW M series. The M series, after years of worship from the auto press, is so entrenched in the American market.....and in the minds of many Euro sport-sedan enthusiasts....that it is exceedingly difficult for the Audi S series to make inroads. It is somewhat (but not exactly) like the Titan and Tundra tryng to break into the American full-size pickup market, where the F-150 and Silverado, of course, have longed owned that segment.
True. This is believed to be a key reason that Audi has stratified into 3 levels for most of their lines: A, S, and RS. Now, the RS does battle with M's and AMG's. S models seem to be positioned a notch below M's and AMG's, both in performance and price.
Old 12-25-08, 11:18 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snowday
S models seem to be positioned a notch below M's and AMG's, both in performance and price.
The new Audi S4 will be priced very close to the M3 sedan but offer 335i-level performance.
Old 12-25-08, 11:53 AM
snowday
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ffpower
The new Audi S4 will be priced very close to the M3 sedan but offer 335i-level performance.
Wait until S4 pricing is available and then equip the cars to similar levels. For example, if you add content to a 335ix coupe to make it similar to a base S5, the BMW is around $1000 less than the S5. But the M3 is approx. $8000 more than the S5, and lacks awd.
Old 12-25-08, 02:31 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by snowday
Wait until S4 pricing is available and then equip the cars to similar levels. For example, if you add content to a 335ix coupe to make it similar to a base S5, the BMW is around $1000 less than the S5. But the M3 is approx. $8000 more than the S5, and lacks awd.
M3 and S4 are not in the same class, period. I don't even think I would pick a S4 over 335i. But then I live in Cali and AWD isn't needed.
Old 12-25-08, 03:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpower
I know this may sound like heresy to some of you guys, but I would actually take the 335i (and especially the xi) over the M3. Dollar-for-dollar, unless you are on a track where the M3 can be run to its max, I think the 335i, for street use, is a far better buy...almost M performance at a lot lower price.

Same (probably) for the S4, although I can't say for sure. I've driven the S5 though (did a special holiday review on it early this month), and, like the 335, I'd also take the S5 over the M3 for street driving, though the S5 is a little closer to the M3 in price than the 335.
Old 12-25-08, 10:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

audi is a nice car to drive, but not to own. My friend Eric from Boston refuses to drive anything but audi ( to each his own ). But in turn the guy is a straight up audi technitian. He has had to fix almost literally. He even bought an older version of his car from a junk yard so he could easily salvage parts for the running car. Even we gradusted he bought a new A6. WOW !!!! What a piece of crap. Nothing but headches and visits to the dealer for annoying stuff.
Old 02-22-09, 06:26 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Audi has taken yet another swipe at Lexus in their new "identity theft" ad for the Q5. Anyone seen it yet? It's not on youtube yet but I would bet it should show up soon.

A year or so ago I recall an Audi exec saying that he wasn't worried about Lexus and didn't see them as a threat because the company "fails to resonate with customers". If they really feel that way, they are surely trying hard to pry at Lexus
Old 02-22-09, 07:45 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Audi has taken yet another swipe at Lexus in their new "identity theft" ad for the Q5. Anyone seen it yet? It's not on youtube yet but I would bet it should show up soon.

A year or so ago I recall an Audi exec saying that he wasn't worried about Lexus and didn't see them as a threat because the company "fails to resonate with customers". If they really feel that way, they are surely trying hard to pry at Lexus
yeah i saw that one, isnt it the one with all the RX350 parked along side the curb with a bunch of kids looking for their car?

But hey Audi is smart, they know the RX is a popular car. In their eyes, they see the Lexus RX its top competition. But they used the 2nd generation RX, not the 3rd. guess they see that people's lease will be coming to an end soon on the 2nd generation and their is no need to buy on the lease or upgrade to the new RX, which looks hott in White!
Old 02-22-09, 07:49 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJL0365
yeah i saw that one, isnt it the one with all the RX350 parked along side the curb with a bunch of kids looking for their car?

But hey Audi is smart, they know the RX is a popular car. In their eyes, they see the Lexus RX its top competition. But they used the 2nd generation RX, not the 3rd.
This one had a woman walk out to her RX and then flashed text that said, "Identity theft...it can happen to anyone." She then turns around and there are probably 40 gold RXs parked beside each other on two rows and a black Audi Q5 drives down between them.
Old 02-22-09, 08:09 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

they have two rows of white RXs on Audi's webpage.

www.truthinengineering.com

This commercial is just spectacular though, watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOaRJ_VJons

Quick Reply: Audi: immature? (New ad going after BMW inside)