Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi: immature? (New ad going after BMW inside)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-09, 08:15 PM
LexFather

The Q5 is a "Cute-Ute" over 10 years late to the party. The RX isn't even its main competition. Have they lost their rabbit *** minds??

I liked quiet, understated Audi. This arrogant crap is uncalled for again. Audi can't even sell 100k cars here. WTF?

Audi is or was my 2nd fav luxury brand behind Lexus. Sigh.....

Old 02-22-09, 08:18 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FKL

This commercial is just spectacular though, watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOaRJ_VJons
Reminds me a lot of the opening ceremonies from the Beijing games.
Old 02-22-09, 08:22 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
This one had a woman walk out to her RX and then flashed text that said, "Identity theft...it can happen to anyone." She then turns around and there are probably 40 gold RXs parked beside each other on two rows and a black Audi Q5 drives down between them.
oh okay, i caught the commerical probably at the middle. I didnt see a woman, just saw a kid and a lot of gold RX on a curb and a Q5 speed in the middle.

I like Audi Commericals,they are all good, the best Lexus commerical would have to be this one of the GS, if it is a commerical for the US, never seen it on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q30tUT3cmCA

and this one of the LS600 is the Best I think, needs to be aired here in the US

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKQs2rSlmQU
Old 02-22-09, 08:30 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Is Infiniti not real competition for Audi or they dont consider them their main competition like MB, BMW & Lexus are? in the A4 Commericals, they didnt even show the infiniti G35 Sedan, the A5 commerical, no infiniti logo. I would think Infiniti would be even bigger of a threat for Audi than Lexus in terms of sportiness. While Audi cars are luxurious, they like to put sport in their vehicles, whereas Lexus doesnt offer much. Audi commericals are very sporty, Plus Audi likes to have their exhaust or engine have that nice throaty deep growl in commericals.
Old 02-22-09, 08:52 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AJL0365
oh okay, i caught the commerical probably at the middle. I didnt see a woman, just saw a kid and a lot of gold RX on a curb and a Q5 speed in the middle.

I like Audi Commericals,they are all good, the best Lexus commerical would have to be this one of the GS, if it is a commerical for the US, never seen it on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q30tUT3cmCA

and this one of the LS600 is the Best I think, needs to be aired here in the US

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKQs2rSlmQU

Thanks for sharing those. I really like the first one, I thought it was just great. I didn't like the seocond one at all, though - it reminds of the corny commercials I see whenever I go to Hong Kong or Beijing - they belong in Asia.
Old 02-23-09, 12:09 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

I remember the "parking" commercial and thought it was clever.

The latest ones (Superbowl Jason Statham) and the "identity theft" are laughable. When you're successful (Lexus), it's a desperate attempt to knock down them down (Audi).

It's unfortunate because I actually like Audi designs. They should focus more on what their cars can offer because they're fun to drive too.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-23-09, 06:21 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Fantastic ads from Audi! The basic gist of these ads are if you as follows:

If you are a follower and seek to be like the Jones's you buy a Lexus.

If you want to be unique and be one up on the Jones's you buy an Audi..

I can respect that.. Hmmmm.. Audi might have something here..
Old 02-23-09, 09:08 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
It's unfortunate because I actually like Audi designs. They should focus more on what their cars can offer because they're fun to drive too.

Just my 2 cents.
I agree 100%. If Audi is so insecure and needs to knock on someone in order to make itself stand out then I really pity them. Also, I am not a fan of ANY COMMERCIALS or ADS (read: not just Audi) that has to knock on its competitors. When I am going to buy a product I want to know why you are the best suitor for me, not why the others suck.

Audi maybe is the class benchmark in Europe and Asia but in NA, clearly through its commercials, they are a class behind the big boys.

BTW, long time no see AsianGirl, how's going?
Old 02-23-09, 09:17 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Fantastic ads from Audi! The basic gist of these ads are if you as follows:

If you are a follower and seek to be like the Jones's you buy a Lexus.

If you want to be unique and be one up on the Jones's you buy an Audi..

I can respect that.. Hmmmm.. Audi might have something here..
Audi is full of crap. Its ironic they want to say buying a Lexus is being a follower when/
1-Worldwide, Audi sells what 1 million cars, so who REALLY is the follower?
2-Audi SUVs are 10 years + late to the party. They can't even follow right.

Seems to be the only one following is Audi as they want to be considered one of the premier brands here.

Instead of having ads selling their vehicles based on their merits, they continue to make attacks on other brands and seemingly they love Lexus.

Do you really think the ad is going to make Lexus owners or people that are not Euro snobs to say "hey, let me check that Audi out b/c they are making fun of Lexus"?

Nope.

The ads appeal to the few that either already like Audi/German or were not going to buy a Lexus in the first place.

When the SuperBowl survey was given out, the AUdi ad wasn't in the top rated ads (and I thought it was clever). So their marketing continues to miss the point.

Old 02-23-09, 09:19 AM
LexFather

I

Just my 2 cents.

I agree, I am (damn near was) a big Audi fan and have defended them all the time when most dismiss the brand. I think on CL, many here really like Audi, the S5 and A8 and R8 in particular.

Thanks Audi!

Old 02-23-09, 09:31 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ffpower
I agree 100%. If Audi is so insecure and needs to knock on someone in order to make itself stand out then I really pity them. Also, I am not a fan of ANY COMMERCIALS or ADS (read: not just Audi) that has to knock on its competitors. When I am going to buy a product I want to know why you are the best suitor for me, not why the others suck.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the golden rule of marketing premium products (moreso than mainstream ones) is that by acknowledging a competitor, you already plant the seed in the mind of the consumer that another product is at least as good as yours, thus your need to draw comparisons to it.

Regardless of their products, Audi's marketing department is basically depicting themselves as sitting on the bleachers saying, "ME TOO!!" while Lexus, BMW, and MB play ball. They're already admitting that BMW, Lexus, and Mercedes are the big boys and they too want in on the game. This inherently makes it seem that Audi is either inferior to these three or is being excluded for some reason.

Yeah, their marketing tactics are different but if someone sees an ad where Hyundai is comparing themselves to BMW, Mercedes and Lexus, and then a few minutes later sees an Audi ad doing the same thing...guess what that says to most (somewhat uninformed) consumers?

Hyundai = Audi (because both have these similar ads pointed at the "big boys")

They should be going at these ads with a sense of "We ARE the new leader of the pack" not "we are AIMING for the top of the pack".
Old 02-23-09, 09:38 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

They should focus more on what their cars can offer because they're fun to drive too.

Just my 2 cents.
my Q7 V8 has brought me many smiles

but it's got too many recalls, tranny slips and the fuel pump failed at 25k
Old 02-23-09, 09:43 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

i actually got pissed off, when they showed that ads..i was watching oscars last night and say the commercials maybe 2-3 times mocking RX. I am a fan of audi myself and love their designs but making fun of Lexus isn't cool
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I agree, I am (damn near was) a big Audi fan and have defended them all the time when most dismiss the brand. I think on CL, many here really like Audi, the S5 and A8 and R8 in particular.

Thanks Audi!
Old 02-23-09, 09:52 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

IMHO, I'm finding some of the new Audi commercials amusing. But they do little to entice me to buy an Audi, so I'm not sure how useful the commercials are.
Old 02-23-09, 09:58 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Audi is full of crap. Its ironic they want to say buying a Lexus is being a follower when/
1-Worldwide, Audi sells what 1 million cars, so who REALLY is the follower?
2-Audi SUVs are 10 years + late to the party. They can't even follow right.
Which all goes to the uniqueness of their vehicles and the angle of the t.v. ads.. Why purchase a vehicle that 50 zillion people already have???

Seems to be the only one following is Audi as they want to be considered one of the premier brands here.
Ain't business sweet? It is very cut throat

Instead of having ads selling their vehicles based on their merits, they continue to make attacks on other brands and seemingly they love Lexus.
Cut throat I say... Audi seems to be creating a buzz amoung many... New S5's abound around town...It is working

Do you really think the ad is going to make Lexus owners or people that are not Euro snobs to say "hey, let me check that Audi out b/c they are making fun of Lexus"?
Of course not.. It is a silly notion.. It will sure have potential buyers thinking twice about their purchase.. They will say to themselves "Do I want a vehicle that offers limited options & is literally on every street corner & has the appeal of vanilla ice cream w/o the sprinkles? " There lies Audi as the alternative..

The ads appeal to the few that either already like Audi/German or were not going to buy a Lexus in the first place.
Maybe.. But we do have guys on here with Audi S5's & other Audi's in their sig that they have yet to own.. Perhaps we can ask them why Audi's appeal to them over Lexus ?

When the SuperBowl survey was given out, the AUdi ad wasn't in the top rated ads (and I thought it was clever). So their marketing continues to miss the point.
Which car ads has ever come out on top in rating during the Superbowl???

Quick Reply: Audi: immature? (New ad going after BMW inside)