Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi: immature? (New ad going after BMW inside)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-09, 10:17 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

my wanted to get a audi after watching the ads, she has 0 knowledge about cars. But yea i guess they work-
Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Which all goes to the uniqueness of their vehicles and the angle of the t.v. ads.. Why purchase a vehicle that 50 zillion people already have???

Ain't business sweet? It is very cut throat

Cut throat I say... Audi seems to be creating a buzz amoung many... New S5's abound around town...It is working

Of course not.. It is a silly notion.. It will sure have potential buyers thinking twice about their purchase.. They will say to themselves "Do I want a vehicle that offers limited options & is literally on every street corner & has the appeal of vanilla ice cream w/o the sprinkles? " There lies Audi as the alternative..

Maybe.. But we do have guys on here with Audi S5's & other Audi's in their sig that they have yet to own.. Perhaps we can ask them why Audi's appeal to them over Lexus ?

Which car ads has ever come out on top in rating during the Superbowl???
Old 02-23-09, 10:23 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe.. But we do have guys on here with Audi S5's & other Audi's in their sig that they have yet to own.. Perhaps we can ask them why Audi's appeal to them over Lexus ?
My guess would be because it's a coupe...something that Lexus has deprived us of for the last ten years.
Old 02-25-09, 10:31 AM
snowday
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which car ads has ever come out on top in rating during the Superbowl???
Originally Posted by MPLexus301
My guess would be because it's a coupe...something that Lexus has deprived us of for the last ten years.
So DASHOCKER asks about Audi's appeal. These are my OPINIONS:

Audi likes
  • Exterior design
  • Interior design
  • Interior material
  • All-wheel-drive engineering
  • Availability of manual transmissions

Lexus (and BMW & Mercedes) dislikes
  • Traditional status symbols
  • Negative connotation
  • Ubiquitous

These opinions are generalizations, I know, but are not a result of recent advertising or media influences. We’ve been Audi owners for 15+ years and our ownership experiences, from a reliability standpoint, have been very good to excellent, with most cars purchased new and driven for more than 100K miles. We live in a snowy hilly place and have been impressed with the awd performance of our Audis, compared to some other cars, though admittedly, we have not driven everything out there. All of these companies produce excellent cars. I find it interesting when people take small differences in certain areas and render a verdict on the whole car.

This thread is focused on the ad campaign where Audi is laying attitude on its established competitors. I suspect this is a US only campaign where Audi still suffers indirectly from the 1986 60 Minutes fiasco. In other words, as they were building steam in the US in the ‘80s, everything derailed for quite awhile as others steamed on past. Now, they are trying a different angle to capture the attention of Americans and shake them out of their stupor. I highly doubt this is a strategic global campaign.

As for the coupe comment, that may be somewhat true. The S5 is so irresistible, if it had a Lexus badge, I'd be a Lexus owner now.
Old 02-25-09, 09:40 PM
C. McHale
Rookie

It's my first post here, so take it for what it's worth...

Maybe immature isn't the right word for the Audi commercials of late. More like cocky. Arrogant. And I don't think in a good way. I get the impression when I see the commercials that Audi owners behave in the same manner. I'm not saying this is uniformly true. It's just the feeling I get from the commercials.

I don't think the ads are terribly effective from a marketing standpoint. All they do is snub other car companies while saying "Progress is Beautiful", without telling me what that progress is, or what makes it beautiful. A long strip of LED day-time running lights is not progress. To quote a friend of mine, who likes German styling, "they look tacky."

On the other hand, you've got the Hyundai Genesis commercials, which also have a certain confident swagger to them, but I wouldn't go so far as to call them arrogant. The ads are more effective than the Audi equivalents because they actually give you physical stats and reasons why you should consider a Genesis over BMW, Lexus, or Mercedes equivalents. As in telling you how it beats the BMW 5-series, for instance, in acceleration and stopping power, while costing much less. The Audi ads don't tend to do this.

To take it one step further, having sat in a Hyundai Genesis at the Chicago Auto Show, in my opinion, its interior was more impressive than the Audi cars I sat in while there.

Just sayin'.
Old 02-26-09, 01:23 AM
ivanz
Lead Lap

^^ Welcome to CL. I think your 1st paragraph best describes these commercials.

I wasn't a big fan of Audi before (although I looked into buying an A4 ~2002). However, the recent image that Audi owners seem to be projecting (at least here) is that of arrogant ****** and young men who have confidence issues. This wasn't the case before, but that has put the final nail in the coffin for me in terms of buying one any time soon.
Old 02-26-09, 08:20 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ivanz;4291044I
wasn't a big fan of Audi before (although I looked into buying an A4 ~2002). However, the recent image that Audi owners seem to be projecting (at least here) is that of arrogant ****** and young men who have confidence issues. This wasn't the case before, but that has put the final nail in the coffin for me in terms of buying one any time soon.
Same here.

Lately it seems that the people around me who drive Audis are all sort of arrogant ****** one way or another. I never really liked Audi before (they are all right, just not my cup of tea) but the recent styling had me warm up to it a little bit. However, due to my personal observation I just can't see myself being an Audi drive anytime soon.
Old 02-26-09, 09:24 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I find some of the Audi ads amusing, but certainly not a factor in steering a purchase. I agree, the new styling of the A4, A5, TT is certainly appealing. But when I shop to actually buy a premium car, Audi is still not on my list.
Old 02-26-09, 10:20 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Audi should show the public its engineering side vs. its new playmate in the sand box Lexus.. They should put both a GS & A6 on a lift and show what lies beneath.. A game of compare & contrast
Old 02-26-09, 10:25 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by C. McHale

To take it one step further, having sat in a Hyundai Genesis at the Chicago Auto Show, in my opinion, its interior was more impressive than the Audi cars I sat in while there.

Just sayin'.
I can't agree with that at all. In fact, I completely disagree entirely. The Genesis Coupe is fine car, but the interior quality is in no way up to the interior of an Audi, much less it's own corporate sister the Genesis sedan. It has more cheap plastics than my Honda Accord.
Old 02-26-09, 10:39 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by snowday
So DASHOCKER asks about Audi's appeal. These are my OPINIONS:

Audi likes
  • Exterior design
  • Interior design
  • Interior material
  • All-wheel-drive engineering
  • Availability of manual transmissions

Lexus (and BMW & Mercedes) dislikes
  • Traditional status symbols
  • Negative connotation
  • Ubiquitous

These opinions are generalizations, I know, but are not a result of recent advertising or media influences. We’ve been Audi owners for 15+ years and our ownership experiences, from a reliability standpoint, have been very good to excellent, with most cars purchased new and driven for more than 100K miles. We live in a snowy hilly place and have been impressed with the awd performance of our Audis, compared to some other cars, though admittedly, we have not driven everything out there. All of these companies produce excellent cars. I find it interesting when people take small differences in certain areas and render a verdict on the whole car.

This thread is focused on the ad campaign where Audi is laying attitude on its established competitors. I suspect this is a US only campaign where Audi still suffers indirectly from the 1986 60 Minutes fiasco. In other words, as they were building steam in the US in the ‘80s, everything derailed for quite awhile as others steamed on past. Now, they are trying a different angle to capture the attention of Americans and shake them out of their stupor. I highly doubt this is a strategic global campaign.

As for the coupe comment, that may be somewhat true. The S5 is so irresistible, if it had a Lexus badge, I'd be a Lexus owner now.
I'll go a step further... Lexus is showing more arrogance (dealership level) than Audi (at least here) when it comes to buying a car. I also like the direction Audi is moving in as well, combining style/luxury with performance AND rapidly improving reliability. Also, I'm willing to travel 900 miles to get what I want... what does that say? In my town, I've got 5 Lexus' in my subdivision... I've seen one A5 since July... no S5s...

Not to mention Audi's tremendous choice of performance vehicles and pluses listed above. Funny, older I get, I don't find myself placing a higher premium for luxury, it's still about performance...

To address the advertising, I'm not getting the arrogance/immature issue... not felling any of it at all.

As for Audi owners being "******", I guess that means I turn into one when mine arrives... ... so be it
Old 02-26-09, 10:40 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

I don't understand why so many people want to base their buying decisions, much less their views on an entire brand, on how they perceive some select people they see on the road. I mean, really? So because I saw a Lesbian couple driving a Subaru, they are all Lesbian? I have even heard that male VW owners must be metrosexual/gay (this was peddled off here before). All Audi owners are arrogant? It seems that latter notion is one thrown around here in light of all "European" cars. It's almost more of a self-justification and security that it is a reality.

When I'm dropping tens of thousands of dollars on a new car, the last thing in my mind is "how the commercials were". I'll judge a car and a brand on it's actual product and inherent merits, not some loosely devised viewpoint about their PR tactics.. It just seems to me that people who take massive offense to this ad had a preconceived bias against the brand to begin with. Obviously it doesn't help when the company directly calls out and insults your "favorite" brand, but that has really no impact on the product, which is where everything should be judged from in my opinion.

Last edited by FKL; 02-26-09 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-26-09, 02:57 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

And one more... Audi dealer again called, found exactly the car I wanted at exactly the price I wanted.. didn't walk, took a couple extra days, but worked the deal to my terms... Lexus didn't even return my calls...
Old 02-26-09, 03:50 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

I never really saw the point of Audi, wait and see what Porsche does with them.
Old 02-26-09, 07:27 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

looking at the video production themselves, very nice IMO. i love the way they designed these ads, especially the way it flows with the 'Progress is beautiful' directing at the C class.
(not the part about going against the C, but how everything like.. evolves, including the caR)
Old 02-26-09, 07:36 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FKL
Audi has a lot to work on, but their marketing front is not one of them. The R8 spot during the Superbowl was one of the most talked about the next day. The Notes on Progress Olympics ad was one of the highest recognized during the opening ceremony. People may cry becuase they are calling out their beloved Lexus on less than perfect driving dynamics (A4 paralell parking spot), but the BMW-Audi ad-wars go back a few years (BMW "congragulting" Audi on S. African Car of the Year, then showing a picture of their "world car of the year" 3-series). It's quite great entertainment actually.

The ads are great, and it's about time somebody took a jab at the established German marques BMW and Mercedes-Benz. As was previously mentioned, Audi has been able to carve itself out as a top tier luxury auto maker, one reocgnized for performance, innovation and beautiful styling worldwide (The Japanese haven't managed this - Yet). Having a full range of automobies from entry level to high end exotic with the latest in powertrain technology doesn't hurt either.

Progress is Beautiful Ad: Even more stunning in HD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee89S8zk4pc
i found that REALLY funny!

http://www.10dailythings.com/2006/09...ng-each-other/

Quick Reply: Audi: immature? (New ad going after BMW inside)