Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi: immature? (New ad going after BMW inside)

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-09, 09:47 PM
C. McHale
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
I can't agree with that at all. In fact, I completely disagree entirely. The Genesis Coupe is fine car, but the interior quality is in no way up to the interior of an Audi, much less it's own corporate sister the Genesis sedan. It has more cheap plastics than my Honda Accord.
Okay, a little misunderstanding here. I wasn't talking about the Genesis coupe, and I should have clarified that. The Genesis coupe generally leaves me underwhelmed.

I was talking about the Genesis sedan. The interior quality, from what I saw, personally sitting in it at the auto show, was superb. Especially considering what it costs.

I've heard so many people speak praise of the Audi interiors, but honestly, I wasn't blown away or anything from the ones I sat in at the show (some were locked at weren't allowed access). I'd even say I was a little disappointed, given the expectations I'd had set up.

The quality was good, to be sure, but I didn't find it to be leaps and bounds above anything Acura, Mercedes or Lexus had at the auto show. Or, once again, the Genesis sedan.

Maybe I'm crazy, I dunno. That's just my opinion coming away from the show.
Old 02-26-09, 10:13 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C. McHale
The quality was good, to be sure, but I didn't find it to be leaps and bounds above anything Acura, Mercedes or Lexus had at the auto show. Or, once again, the Genesis sedan.
Interesting perspective. Of course, this discussion is highly subjective so there is no right and wrong.

I'm not sure that Audi and Lexus have the same goals in mind when they design their interiors. I think both are top notch but for different reasons. I guess I view the Audi interior as what BMW and MB would be doing if they could figure it out.

I still find the Audi interior "spartan" but it is by far the best interior of the Germans, imho. The Lexus' have more convenience and technology compared to the Audis I've driven/looked at.
Old 02-27-09, 07:43 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Interesting perspective. Of course, this discussion is highly subjective so there is no right and wrong.

I'm not sure that Audi and Lexus have the same goals in mind when they design their interiors. I think both are top notch but for different reasons. I guess I view the Audi interior as what BMW and MB would be doing if they could figure it out.

I still find the Audi interior "spartan" but it is by far the best interior of the Germans, imho. The Lexus' have more convenience and technology compared to the Audis I've driven/looked at.
I completely agree. In terms of "teutonic" and utilitarian, yet luxurious, interiors, Audi does it better than any of the other Germans.

Personally, I prefer the decadence and lavishness that Lexus interiors offer with more wood, leather, polished surfaces, ect. I think both types are wonderful, but I just prefer a more "traditional" luxury car interior and I think that is what Lexus provides. That said, the wood has been disappearing out of Lexus cars at an alarming rate with each redesign and the only one that I think is sufficient is the LS. The GS and IS are not bad either but LX, RX, and ES are too sparse IMO, and all could use more wood here and there. GX and SC are great because they have not been redesigned yet
Old 02-27-09, 12:14 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Okay, a little misunderstanding here. I wasn't talking about the Genesis coupe, and I should have clarified that. The Genesis coupe generally leaves me underwhelmed.

I was talking about the Genesis sedan. The interior quality, from what I saw, personally sitting in it at the auto show, was superb. Especially considering what it costs.

I've heard so many people speak praise of the Audi interiors, but honestly, I wasn't blown away or anything from the ones I sat in at the show (some were locked at weren't allowed access). I'd even say I was a little disappointed, given the expectations I'd had set up.

Welcome to CL

I can totally see where you are coming from with your disappointment in new Audi interiors because that is exactly how I felt when I sat in the newer ones at a auto show. Maybe I was expecting a little too much based on reviews in car mags or word of mouth but they did not impress me very much. Don't get me wrong, they were nice but the materials did not feel any nicer or solid then most Lexus/Acura materials I have felt, the leather was a little rough, switches did not provide superior feedback compared to most Lexus/Acuras, and worst of all when I pressed the buttons they did not feel very high quality or solid nor gave nice tactile feedback and felt kind of hollow and made this loud annoying cheap "click" which was a big turnoff. Even the design did not really impress me all that much but it was still nice. Shutting the doors did not give a good sound or solid feel I was expecting either. They did not have my favorite Audi, the A8 there so maybe its interior would have changed my mind but I was not impressed with the Q5, A6, A4, and TT. The Lexus LS460 and Acura RL I sat in at the show had nicer materials, better tactile feedback operating switches/pressing buttons, nicer softer leather, looked nicer, and felt higher quality and more solid and impressed me more. Maybe I was just expecting a little too much of the Audi interiors and unfortunately they did not have a A8 which has one of the nicest if not the nicest interiors in its class.
Old 02-27-09, 01:48 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

I agree. I found the Genesis sedan to have a spectacular cabin. There were some cheap bits (most notably the buttons on the dash and the clock), yet the overall trim quality was top notch. I was very, very impressed.
Old 02-27-09, 01:49 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UDel
Welcome to CL

I can totally see where you are coming from with your disappointment in new Audi interiors because that is exactly how I felt when I sat in the newer ones at a auto show. Maybe I was expecting a little too much based on reviews in car mags or word of mouth but they did not impress me very much. Don't get me wrong, they were nice but the materials did not feel any nicer or solid then most Lexus/Acura materials I have felt, the leather was a little rough, switches did not provide superior feedback compared to most Lexus/Acuras, and worst of all when I pressed the buttons they did not feel very high quality or solid nor gave nice tactile feedback and felt kind of hollow and made this loud annoying cheap "click" which was a big turnoff. Even the design did not really impress me all that much but it was still nice. Shutting the doors did not give a good sound or solid feel I was expecting either. They did not have my favorite Audi, the A8 there so maybe its interior would have changed my mind but I was not impressed with the Q5, A6, A4, and TT. The Lexus LS460 and Acura RL I sat in at the show had nicer materials, better tactile feedback operating switches/pressing buttons, nicer softer leather, looked nicer, and felt higher quality and more solid and impressed me more. Maybe I was just expecting a little too much of the Audi interiors and unfortunately they did not have a A8 which has one of the nicest if not the nicest interiors in its class.
+1 Took the words right out of my mouth. When I went to the LA auto show last month I made a conscious effort to sit inside the Audi models, which included the new A4, TT, etc. The reason being that I always felt that Audis had the best interiors. To my dismay, I was underwhelmed by what I saw. I was still nice, but it didn't wow me like it did before. It was also easy to compare because I sat in other luxury vehicles on the same day, minutes apart.

I can't really pinpoint what happened... maybe other car manufacturer's caught up in their designs and materials, and Audi's stayed the same?

A little OT, but I also sat in the new Mazda 3/6. The interior blew me away. I couldn't believe they were able to do that in an economy car. I was very impressed. Toyota/Honda/Nissan has a lot of catching up to do.
Old 02-27-09, 02:03 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

In my opinion the detailing and quality interiors is very easy to spot.

Just to compare the A4 to the much more expensive Acura RL, the plastics on the dashboard were clearly in favor of the Audi. The Audi's true aluminum door pulls were grossly superior to the plastic variants found on the Acura. The same holds true for the dash buttons. The material that overhangs the dashboard is also clearly, clearly superior to the hard plastic on the RL. Doors were also heavier. AC vents were of higher quality. The glove box had higher quality material inside. Even the center console mechanism was far better done. So too were the overhead mirrors (The RLs have the same design of lesser Hondas).

The IS has quite good interior quality, some nice quality soft touch dashboard materials, great leather. I found the ceiling material to be off from that of the Audi though. Doors were weighted much lighter (to be fair, a trait of most Japanese cars). Both are probably the top in their class in my opinion. The RL is a joke of a car, interior quality is nothing to write home about. Try knocking on the wood trim to see how hollow Acura did it off. It's nearly a disgrace.

Last edited by FKL; 02-27-09 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-27-09, 02:35 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
In my opinion the detailing and quality interiors is very easy to spot.

Just to compare the A4 to the much more expensive Acura RL, the plastics on the dashboard were clearly in favor of the Audi. The Audi's true aluminum door pulls were grossly superior to the plastic variants found on the Acura. The same holds true for the dash buttons. The material that overhangs the dashboard is also clearly, clearly superior to the hard plastic on the RL. Doors were also heavier. AC vents were of higher quality. The glove box had higher quality material inside. Even the center console mechanism was far better done. So too were the overhead mirrors (The RLs have the same design of lesser Hondas).

The IS has quite good interior quality, some nice quality soft touch dashboard materials, great leather. I found the ceiling material to be off from that of the Audi though. Doors were weighted much lighter (to be fair, a trait of most Japanese cars). Both are probably the top in their class in my opinion. The RL is a joke of a car, interior quality is nothing to write home about. Try knocking on the wood trim to see how hollow Acura did it off. It's nearly a disgrace.
I just qouted your post and was working on a comment-by-comment reply when it just became more and more apparent that you have never ever been inside an Acura RL. Everyone has an opinion but please refrain from interjecting yours when you have never experienced what it is that you tend to comment on.

The interior of the Acura RL is HANDS DOWN better than the A4 and is the ONE thing that Acura has done right in the last few years. It probably has the best crafted and highest quality interior in it's class; this is universally agreed upon by most members of the automotive community. A4 is very nice, but no comparison for the RL.

Try again.
Old 02-27-09, 02:40 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Not sure how to address all that condescending banter & drivel, so I won't.
Old 02-27-09, 03:46 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I can't be bothered.
Old 02-27-09, 06:03 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,287 Likes on 1,393 Posts

mplexus & FKL, please exit this thread from this point forward.
Old 02-27-09, 08:30 PM
C. McHale
Rookie

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I completely agree. In terms of "teutonic" and utilitarian, yet luxurious, interiors, Audi does it better than any of the other Germans.

Personally, I prefer the decadence and lavishness that Lexus interiors offer with more wood, leather, polished surfaces, ect. I think both types are wonderful, but I just prefer a more "traditional" luxury car interior and I think that is what Lexus provides. That said, the wood has been disappearing out of Lexus cars at an alarming rate with each redesign and the only one that I think is sufficient is the LS. The GS and IS are not bad either but LX, RX, and ES are too sparse IMO, and all could use more wood here and there. GX and SC are great because they have not been redesigned yet
Yeah I'm not sure what's with the disappearance of the wood. I know there's some people out there who don't care for wood accents in cars, but I think they add a nice, luxurious touch. More importantly, they can add a significant amount of color contrast to the rest of the materials of the car, giving the entire interior a more attractive appearance.

This is why when I was looking to replace my '00 Nissan Sentra, I got an '05 ES 330 instead of a newer '07 or '08 ES 350. The interior of the 330 is better than the 350, at least in terms of design I think.

The ES 350 is just begging for an aftermarket wood dash/accent kit.
Old 03-01-09, 05:33 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not a huge Audi fan, but I think their commercials are pretty funny. If y'all are taking it so personally, it seems you acknowledge some truth in their humorous barbs.

The Chase:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaYSGX2UgvI

Meet the Beckers, Ep 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfXqt0PuHQk

Meet the Beckers, Ep 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0R7av8fjF4

Meet the Beckers, Ep 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipsAcYdmlqw
Old 03-01-09, 05:56 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Alternatively, some of the best car commercials ever made:

Ferrari (Shell):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_kwxzU4wL4

Honda (Cog):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEF0cg1j35o

Honda (Impossible Dream):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FmXjxdDBRI

Saab (Suite):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bikJjHXevNc

I'd think there are some good Mercedes commercials that highlight their heritage, but none come to mind. Searching Youtube, here were a couple funny ones:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9r865NvVv8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r38UC1QAhOo
Old 03-01-09, 06:53 PM
snowday
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Alternatively, some of the best car commercials ever made...
great selection

Quick Reply: Audi: immature? (New ad going after BMW inside)