Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi: immature? (New ad going after BMW inside)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-10, 08:44 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69
This would be a great ad - but it's fake. The Audi A4 in the picture has been digitally placed into the original picture of the M3 in the ditch.
Old 02-19-10, 08:48 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FinalBurst
The ad is one of a multitude of BMW/Audi back and forths that have not been limited to US soil.

Are you kidding me now? Audi's best selling cars are its cheaper ones? Let me guess, M's and AMG's do not account for the majority of BMW and Mercedes' sales. The fact remains that on a global scale, the "big boys" are the three best selling auto marques, BMW, Mercedes, and Audi.
the fact remains the 3 "big boys" sell small boy cars in droves. Lexus is 4th without any. (the ch comes soon)

The ad is referencing America not the world. Thus AUDI THEMSELVES MENTIONING LEXUS IN THEIR OWN AD.

Not sure how u missed that giant detail. Instead u bring up something we all know about global sales.

Old 02-19-10, 09:02 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FKL
I don't understand why so many people want to base their buying decisions, much less their views on an entire brand, on how they perceive some select people they see on the road. I mean, really? So because I saw a Lesbian couple driving a Subaru, they are all Lesbian? I have even heard that male VW owners must be metrosexual/gay (this was peddled off here before). All Audi owners are arrogant? It seems that latter notion is one thrown around here in light of all "European" cars. It's almost more of a self-justification and security that it is a reality.

When I'm dropping tens of thousands of dollars on a new car, the last thing in my mind is "how the commercials were". I'll judge a car and a brand on it's actual product and inherent merits, not some loosely devised viewpoint about their PR tactics.. It just seems to me that people who take massive offense to this ad had a preconceived bias against the brand to begin with. Obviously it doesn't help when the company directly calls out and insults your "favorite" brand, but that has really no impact on the product, which is where everything should be judged from in my opinion.

Well said.
Old 02-19-10, 09:36 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In short, it's just an ad. Many of us are jaded regarding TV ads and choose to ignore most of them anyway.

I agree with above sentence:

"Obviously it doesn't help when the company directly calls out and insults your "favorite" brand, but that has really no impact on the product, which is where everything should be judged from in my opinion."
Old 02-19-10, 09:45 AM
FinalBurst
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
the fact remains the 3 "big boys" sell small boy cars in droves. Lexus is 4th without any. (the ch comes soon)

The ad is referencing America not the world. Thus AUDI THEMSELVES MENTIONING LEXUS IN THEIR OWN AD.

Not sure how u missed that giant detail. Instead u bring up something we all know about global sales.
What does what they sell have anything to do with it? Their cheaper cars sell better, the same applies to Lexus (whose best selling vehicles are all based on the Camry), Infiniti (the G), and numerous other marques.

The ad is one of many that have been taking pot shots at BMW. This particular ad is for America, but their marketing campaign war has been global. Lexus was not mentioned in the ad that you just posted.
Old 02-19-10, 09:47 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

What does what they sell have anything to do with it? Their cheaper cars sell better, the same applies to Lexus (whose best selling vehicles are all based on the Camry), Infiniti (the G), and numerous other marques.
It matters because the Germans sell cheaper "cheap" cars than Lexus does, thus making them available to more people, ultimately creating far more sales.

It's pretty obvious, no?
Old 02-19-10, 09:55 AM
LexFather

The ad is one of many that have been taking pot shots at BMW. This particular ad is for America, but their marketing campaign war has been global. Lexus was not mentioned in the ad that you just posted.
You are completely missing the point. Here let me spell it out.

1. Some of us don't like the ad. The Ad is placed and for America. Lexus is mentioned.
2. You come in defensive, missing those facts. Instead talking about global sales, something we are well aware of.
3. Since you want to talk about global sales and "facts" the "facts" are they sell small econo size/style cars in droves, helping "sales" whereas Lexus does not. This "fact" isn't well received.

4. Point still lost on you somehow and MPLexus again is trying to explain. Being Camry based has nothing to do with it, the fact is the cheapest Lexus is still more expensive than a lot of their offerings globally.

Bottom line, some of us think the new ad is clever but don't like their continued attacks on others.

Old 02-19-10, 10:26 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Audi will do what it needs to do to stay in the game. This is war and they want to gain some ground
Old 02-19-10, 10:28 AM
FinalBurst
Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
It matters because the Germans sell cheaper "cheap" cars than Lexus does, thus making them available to more people, ultimately creating far more sales.

It's pretty obvious, no?
In 2009, Mercedes-Benz sold 1,012,300 vehicles world wide.
Of that number, 219,300 units were composed of A or B-Class models.
226,700 units were the C-Class.
So not only does the C-Class outsell the "cheaper 'cheap' cars," I fail to see anything other than the fact that the Germans are full range automakers with vehicles catering to a myriad of tastes and price ranges.

You are completely missing the point. Here let me spell it out.

1. Some of us don't like the ad. The Ad is placed and for America. Lexus is mentioned.
Where is Lexus mentioned? "Our friends at BMW..." The ad is not referencing anybody but BMW. The link that you posted itself mentions, that it's another playful ad aimed at BMW, of which the two brands have been having an international marketing campaign war. In fact, let's quote Autoblog, and count how many times we see Lexus:
BMW and Audi can always be counted on for a good marketing fight. The two German luxury automakers first went kopf an kopf in European print ads, then on U.S. airwaves and next on our billboards. But after a bit of back and forth, the "good natured" ribbing appeared to have died down – at least for a while. We didn't receive an official notice in the mail stating that the ad battle between BMW and Audi was back on, but the post-jump commercial tells us everything we need to know.

Audi appears to be drawing first blood in round two of BMW v Audi, as the four-ringed automaker gives us a lesson on the dynamics of friendly competition. It appears Audi is very smitten with the fact that its vehicles won three straight Car and Driver comparisons against its German rival; smitten enough to spend bucks on a new 30-second spot to rekindle one of the more entertaining rivalries in the auto industry. We can hardly wait for BMW's response. Hit the jump to watch the video for yourself.
So I don't see Lexus in the blog post, or the commercial itself...

2. You come in defensive, missing those facts.
I came in to emphasize the fact that Audi can and does play with "the big boys" considering they are one of the big boys themselves.
Old 02-19-10, 10:34 AM
LexFather

In AMERICA Audi (whom I have promoted here for years when they were largely ignored FYI) is not a big boy THOUGH they offer big boy products. They are still an afterthought. Again, as I predicted, they have moved up slowly but surely up the sales chart. Worldwide, yes this is different. Again, we are well aware of how they do globally. No one is taking anything away from Audi.

But you know what, please continue about whatever point you are trying to make.

As for "Cheap" cars it is another double standard as far as I am concerened. The Germans can sell whatever cheap *** car and its "product expansion and serving the market".

The $35,000 HS hybrid has been called a Corolla, econ and every name in the book, ignoring while it might look mudane it has more tech than any of those German econo cars.

I can't wait to see what these same people say when the LExus hatch arrives. "Oh its a Yaris with a Lexus badge" meanwhile Audi has a ridiculous A1, has the A3 as well as what BMW/Benz offers.

The double standard is pathetic.

Old 02-19-10, 10:41 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

I love the A/S 4/5. I would like to own one. Audi is the fastest growing luxury car manufacturer here in the US.

But it seems that while BMW is shifting their ads away from the "Ultimate Driving Machine" douchey image, to one of "inspiring joy", Audi is trying to fill in the role they (BMW) no longer care to own.

I think the ad in question was poor taste - Audi's vehicles have SO much more to talk about than just being compared to BMW... but, in truth, this is something that those actually buying BMWs care about. Stop by any BMW forum for evidence.
Old 02-19-10, 10:55 AM
FinalBurst
Driver

As for "Cheap" cars it is another double standard as far as I am concerened. The Germans can sell whatever cheap *** car and its "product expansion and serving the market".

The $35,000 HS hybrid has been called a Corolla, econ and every name in the book, ignoring while it might look mudane it has more tech than any of those German econo cars.
It's not really a double standard, it is product expansion.
The HS has been called a Corolla because it LOOKS like a Corolla. It was made even worse when Toyota announced a rebadged version for the Japanese market. Lexus' problem is that they are doing a horrible job at differentiating their product line from Toyota. I have said this numerous times, and it's my biggest problem with the brand. They started off well with L-Finesse, but it has started to merge far too much with Vibrant Clarity (that and the refreshes are just doing an injustice to the cars themselves, I do have to say I was far more fond of the previous generations designs). Nobody (as far as I know of) refers to the IS as a Corolla or Yaris.
Old 02-19-10, 11:14 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

In 2009, Mercedes-Benz sold 1,012,300 vehicles world wide.
Of that number, 219,300 units were composed of A or B-Class models.
226,700 units were the C-Class.
So not only does the C-Class outsell the "cheaper 'cheap' cars," I fail to see anything other than the fact that the Germans are full range automakers with vehicles catering to a myriad of tastes and price ranges.
Are you assuming that the C-class sold in America is the same as the C-class sold globally? I hope not, because a base model C-class in Germany is on the same tier as an Accord or Camry here. They come standard with a ~150 hp engine, manual tranny (5 speed auto is the upgrade), cloth seats, and vinyl trimmings.

The IS is far above that in standard features.

As we say, the point has gone over your head.
Old 02-19-10, 11:19 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Infra
Are you assuming that the C-class sold in America is the same as the C-class sold globally? I hope not, because a base model C-class in Germany is on the same tier as an Accord or Camry here. They come standard with a ~150 hp engine, manual tranny (5 speed auto is the upgrade), cloth seats, and vinyl trimmings.

The IS is far above that in standard features.

As we say, the point has gone over your head.
Thank you Infra, very good points, maybe he will see a point from a third person.

Old 02-19-10, 11:21 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Who cares what the haters think?

And the fact that the HS has more technology than a 1 series or A class means what? It's a question of the expectations of regional buyer demographics. The North American and European consumers are different. Buyers of small premium cars in Europe place more emphasis on utility, fuel economy, space and practicality and cars like the 1 series do well here, but are outclassed by the A3 and A/B class in that regard. The amount of technology is not a concern for buyers of such cars. I don't think I would be wrong when I claim that your average European small premium car shopper thinks like this: A simple radio, as long as it plays music or lets them hear the news, will suffice. Satellite radio? Who needs that? I don't.

I also don't think the HS is comparable to the small offerings of the Europeans. They're in completely different classes and the Europeans have no real competitor to the HS.

Quick Reply: Audi: immature? (New ad going after BMW inside)