Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Left-lane slowpokes drive you crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-08, 12:35 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
None of this is true in California. Pass left, drive right. It's the law no matter what speed anyone is going.
Correct, left lane should be used for passing.
Old 12-27-08, 12:37 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Lane discipline is practiced in Europe, seems to be a foreign concept in much of America.
Old 12-27-08, 04:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I sometimes like to blow the doors off the pokey bastards to make a point. THe point was made much nicer with the hardcore set I had on my G35 . It sounded like a monster. My GS sounds much quieter with the exhaust currently but its also much easier to live with on a day to day basis

If, by "blowing the doors" off someone, you mean substantially (or vastly) exeeding the speed limit, then it is difficult to point a finger at that person and call them a "pokey bastard".

Now, if that "pokey bastard" is clogging up the left lane going under the speed limit, than you have a point.....and I would agree with you. He SHOULD move over.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-27-08 at 04:51 AM.
Old 12-27-08, 04:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Lane discipline is practiced in Europe, seems to be a foreign concept in much of America.
That's because Europe generally has higher freeway speed limits (or, on some German freeways, no speed limit), and speeding, by our standards, is not considered illegal.....or enforced as much. However, the trend, even in Europe, lately, as traffic grows and the effects of speeding become more hazadrous, is to lower speed limits. The unlimited-speed sections of the Autobahns in Germany may soon be a memory. France is also moving toward national limits.....which can not be exceeded in any locality.
Old 12-27-08, 10:17 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It may or my not be the law, depending on the posted speed limit. In virtually every state, the left lane is for those doing the speed limit or reasonably close to it, NOT for chronic speeders. Speeding is illegal no matter what lane you are in.......left, center, or right, although most cops don't usually write tickets if you are going less than 10 MPH over.

So then, you have to remember that if you are doing 75 in a 55 or 65 zone and you are "stuck" behind a person doing the limit in the left lane, that person has the law on his/her side, not you....unless it is an emergency vehicle with lights or siren on. In most cases, you just need to slow down a little. But that's the trouble.....many people just refuse to slow down, even when over the limit.
There seems to be a set of rules on the road according to speeders and rules that are on paper in laws that are set. Correct me if I'm wrong but we tend to see those "Keep right except to Pass" signs more on two-lane highways and freeways. As a person who does speed, I generally will obey that rule when I see that there are not huge amount of cars driving slower than I am in the right lane(s). Obviously this scenario occurs on a road that is not heavily used or a time of day when traffic is light.

The "fast" lane is generally the furthest lane on the left with the exception of a HOV lane. Its one of those rules on the road that if your in the fast lane and you approach someone in front driving slower than you, that person in front is suppose to move to the right. If I'm in the fast lane and I see a car approaching through my rear-view, then I'll find the best opportunity to move to the right. Its a general rule of thumb that new drivers may not have learned in driving school but realize when they get on the road through their own observation. So anyone who's doing the speed limit in the fast lane does have the law on their side. But as a the driver doing 75 in the speed lane, he/she goes by those "other" rules and will flicker the high-beam and such to get you to move over. The slow-poke must be saying that "ignorant SOB" such as the fast driver for why the slow-poke don't move over and let me pass. I have not seen all too much but my co-worker always complains that Prius drivers are known for driving slowly in the fast lane and sometimes not wanting to move.
Old 12-27-08, 10:32 AM
augdogg
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering that ppl don't really obey the traffic rules, or at least not enough of them do...i'll pas you on the left or right, but i won't jump multiple lanes to do it...unless you have a group of knuckle-heads ratpacked together..
Old 12-27-08, 12:20 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Old 12-27-08, 01:11 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
haha. i need to make one of those and tape it on there
Old 12-27-08, 04:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by O. L. T.

Ha, Ha. I'd like to see that moron end up tailing an unmarked cop in the left lane..........a cop who was doing the limit, and watch what happens.
Old 12-27-08, 05:25 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Ha, Ha. I'd like to see that moron end up tailing an unmarked cop in the left lane..........a cop who was doing the limit, and watch what happens.
one of the few pluses of California... there are no unmarked cop cars for traffic monitoring purposes...
Old 12-27-08, 05:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,403 Posts

.....a cop who was doing the limit, and watch what happens.
What cop doing the limit? I've not seen one of those in the last 15 years. They're all speeding too for no other reason than they can and no one is stopping them.
Old 12-27-08, 06:04 PM
Lexwang07

Drive slowly cause more problems on the weekday and weekend. There is no reason slow down. Keep up pace of traffic flow. They're so silly and stupid drivers. I see traffic every where in LA. Hard to keep up speeds car front of me. Too slow traffic.
Old 12-27-08, 06:05 PM
Lexwang07

I hate people do this last seconds lane change. i'll kill them so bad.
Old 12-27-08, 06:09 PM
Lexwang07

I see many stupid an old Asian men/women dumb *** slow on the freeway. I get stress out see idiot drivers.
Old 12-27-08, 06:50 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

That's because Europe generally has higher freeway speed limits (or, on some German freeways, no speed limit), and speeding, by our standards, is not considered illegal.....or enforced as much. However, the trend, even in Europe, lately, as traffic grows and the effects of speeding become more hazadrous, is to lower speed limits. The unlimited-speed sections of the Autobahns in Germany may soon be a memory. France is also moving toward national limits.....which can not be exceeded in any locality.
Lane discipline is not dependant on speed limits. It's a simple concept of slower traffic keeping to the right. On lightly traveled roads, the number 1 lane should be for passing. I have driven in Europe and I agree that lower speed limits are the trend there, much of it is for revenue-generation too.

Parking in the fast lane at any speed when other lanes are available is a bad practice. Americans are so lame. They think they will determine that 75mph is the magic speed (10 over the limit for example) and park there in the fast lane in their ignorance. Passing on the right in America has become so common because of the lack of lane discipline, pretty simple.

Quick Reply: Left-lane slowpokes drive you crazy?