Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Left-lane slowpokes drive you crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-08, 07:55 PM
LexFather

Angry Left-lane slowpokes drive you crazy?

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...you-crazy.aspx

Left-lane slowpokes drive you crazy?
The words 'move over' -- even if readable in the rearview mirror -- may not mean much to them, but a ticket might. Some states are cracking down.

advertisement
Article Tools
E-mail to a friendTools IndexPrint-friendly versionSite MapArticle IndexDiscuss in a Message BoardDigg This By Christopher Solomon
In these days of longer commutes and simmering tempers, nothing seems to set off already-testy motorists like the left-lane camper -- the guy or gal who drives in the passing lane and bars faster drivers from easily passing. Web sites have cropped up to educate other drivers, or to vent. There's a (somewhat painful) YouTube song called "Keep Right."

Even bigwigs get frustrated. Pennsylvania Gov. Edward Rendell, weary of having his limo slowed down by such left-lane pokies, ordered an aide to have the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission install signs a few years ago reading "Keep Right, Pass Left. It's the Law."

And now some states are cracking down on left-lane campers, both to keep traffic moving and to tamp down the road rage that goes from zero-to-60 faster than ever before.

That's not just a pretext. Last year, a driver was arrested on Interstate 79 outside Pittsburgh after allegedly brandishing a semiautomatic pistol at a driver who was on his tail.

(click link to read the rest of the article)

Old 12-25-08, 08:42 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

I had this problem with a person in front of me coming back from the Florida Keys. When the road suddenly widened to two lanes going northbound I waited a moment for the slowpoke to move right, they didn't and then proceeded to go around them on the right when suddenly they moved into the right lane (no blinker to indicate) and then when I swerved back left, they moved back left, and then finally I swerved back right and gunned it and overtook them.

Often times when I see this occurring, it winds up somebody is talking on the phone and apparently lost in their conversation. Florida does not have hands-free cell phone law here.
Old 12-25-08, 08:54 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We so need that in parts of Canada especially in Vancouver.
Old 12-25-08, 09:14 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Even bigwigs get frustrated. Pennsylvania Gov. Edward Rendell, weary of having his limo slowed down by such left-lane pokies, ordered an aide to have the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission install signs a few years ago reading "Keep Right, Pass Left. It's the Law."
Those sign's are so rare on the PA Turnpike. They need to enforce the law like they do in I believe Washington?

Left lane drivers in PA are absolutely clueless. I've never driven in a state with so many people with this horrible driving habit. They are so clueless that they do not even move over for police or ambulances ( yes I have been a witness to both). If they are pulled over they pull off on the left hand side, so when they start going again they jump right in the fast lane damn near causing an accident ( and no they don't use the shoulder to get up to speed then merge into traffic). But again, too clueless to realize what they are doing.

And we get our fair share of idiots who like to speed up when u try to go around them. Then they look @ you like you did something wrong once you finally get in front of them. They weren't going 75 when you were behind them, now they are damn near drag racing you to stay in front. I just don't get that. If someone wants to get in front of me, go ahead. Do what you gotta do. Its really not that serious. Its okay if someone passes you.
Old 12-25-08, 09:16 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

I almost forgot. When I was in Mexico, if you were in the far left lane and want to pass the slowpoke in front, you put on your left turn signal. Excepting heavy traffic, chances are they would move over.
Old 12-25-08, 09:34 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In Colorado people are pretty good about staying right. There "Keep right except to pass" signs every few miles on most highways.
Old 12-25-08, 09:48 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

man I work in a retirement community. Its insane. The cool thing is the streets empty around 7 pm
Old 12-26-08, 12:35 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think people in California also need to learn that such courtesies exist...

it's so bad when the blondie in her white jetta is yakking away on her phone doing 50 in the left lane... while everyone else is going 75+...
Old 12-26-08, 01:30 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CA needs it the most. I drive down to SD a lot and experience my fair share of idiots. The usual high beam trick doesn't work on that stretch of the 5
Old 12-26-08, 03:34 AM
JonSC4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I had this problem with a person in front of me coming back from the Florida Keys. When the road suddenly widened to two lanes going northbound I waited a moment for the slowpoke to move right, they didn't and then proceeded to go around them on the right when suddenly they moved into the right lane (no blinker to indicate) and then when I swerved back left, they moved back left, and then finally I swerved back right and gunned it and overtook them.

Often times when I see this occurring, it winds up somebody is talking on the phone and apparently lost in their conversation. Florida does not have hands-free cell phone law here.
People in Florida are the absolute worst about this. I had a three hour drive home from Orlando last night and it took everything I had not to flip out.
Old 12-26-08, 05:20 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, I just came to work, and when I was making a right turn into my company's parking lot, some moronic *************** *** @!@*!@**** tries to pass me on the right shoulder, as I was making a right turn!!!!

There is no one on the road today, what is the hurry and why can't you pass on the left like normal people1"@!?!@!3
Old 12-26-08, 06:16 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, having driven in many states nothing beats Florida. This is a problem that I have to deal with everyday. People are SO clueless that drive at whatever speed they want, of course way below the speed limit, taking ALL lanes. On a 5 lane freeway people drive taking all lanes at slow speeds, so others trying to move have to swerve in and out. Cell phones are the main reason here, I've seen people texting using both hands while on the road, they drive with their elbows!

Originally Posted by JonSC4
People in Florida are the absolute worst about this. I had a three hour drive home from Orlando last night and it took everything I had not to flip out.
Old 12-26-08, 07:44 AM
muhbuhtuh
Lexus Champion

aghaghagahgahah I ABSOULUTELY HATE people who drive slow in the fast lane. it happens to me everyday. not only do they drive slow but everyone around me drives under the speed limit so i cant pass
Old 12-26-08, 07:54 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GFerg
:..... They are so clueless that they do not even move over for police or ambulances ( yes I have been a witness to both). If they are pulled over they pull off on the left hand side, so when they start going again they jump right in the fast lane damn near causing an accident ( and no they don't use the shoulder to get up to speed then merge into traffic). But again, too clueless to realize what they are doing.

And we get our fair share of idiots who like to speed up when u try to go around them. Then they look @ you like you did something wrong once you finally get in front of them. They weren't going 75 when you were behind them, now they are damn near drag racing you to stay in front. ....
They must have learned how to drive in Wisconsin, then moved east...
Old 12-26-08, 08:57 AM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

I just like (hate) seeing GRANDPA out in the left lane doing exactly the speed limit or way less then they make a big stink about how fast the young ones drive. Well GRAMPS you are doing 50 in a 65 zone so naturally we left you like your standing still Went through this at work the old guy complained about a lady who fly's down the highway I asked her about it and she said he is barely moving IF YOU CANNOT DRIVE GET OFF THE ROAD!

Quick Reply: Left-lane slowpokes drive you crazy?