Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What will you do regarding your modded car or future modded car?
I will mod my next car, I don't mind the daily worry.
20.00%
I will not mod my next car, the car is just a tool for me.
20.80%
I will continue to mod my current car and will always be modding cars.
40.00%
I haven't modded nor will I mod my car - I browse CL for the TLN entertainment.
19.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Driving a stock car vs modded car. I think I'm keeping my next car stock.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-08, 12:34 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Driving a stock car vs modded car. I think I'm keeping my next car stock.

Plain and simple...

Is modding the car worth it anymore? I mean - isn't it enough to just have a reliable mode of transportation?

Anyone else considering a stock car now vs driving a modded car for the sake of simplicity and lack of worries regarding curbed wheels, flared fenders, hitting the bumper of your car on the curb, etc...?

After riding/driving a reasonably modded car 1200 miles and then turning the car back to stock and riding/driving the car another 1200 miles, I don't think I'll be modding my next car. It's just not worth it and I think having a modded car may give the impression that we care a LITTLE too much about the car vs. using the car as a tool to get oneself from point a to point b.

Am I the only one thinking this??
Old 12-27-08, 12:46 AM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see what your saying, I love my modded car but I get really tired of always being careful with it being lowered car, curbing the rims, or watching out for tint tickets.

If I could, I would keep a stock daily driver and mod a weekend/track car.
Old 12-27-08, 01:03 AM
SH212
Dances with goats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just love modding the car
sure stock car is great as long as you get from point A to B but why not get there with something nicer to make it more enjoyable
Old 12-27-08, 01:42 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I will definitely be leaving my next car stock. In fact, I have reverted my car back to mostly stock just because modding gets boring after a while. It really sucks when you add up the bill and then figuring out you're only going to get maybe 35% of what you paid when you sell your mods. Very depressing.

My priorities are different now. It was fun while it lasted.
Old 12-27-08, 02:17 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have learned to not go overboard. For example, I can NEVER go full out slammed, cambered, stretched tires on super aggressive offsets. Another example is the drop. I am all about fender gap reduction but don't need the car to drive 2 inches off the ground. Although nothing wrong with it for the guys that enjoy it, I want to mod the car enough for it to be unique but not at the expense of the car's usefulness.

For cars that I drive, I will continue to mod them, but only for daily driving use.
Old 12-27-08, 02:35 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

whenever friends or people i know that stop modifiying their cars, i always say that if you love what you do to your car then it shouldnt ever get "boring" or anything like that. people used to tell me that you grow out of it, to them i would say that if you grow out of it, then you probably didnt like it much to begin with. i personally dont ever see myself not modifiying anything i drive, 15 years doing this.
Old 12-27-08, 03:01 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
My priorities are different now.
This is essentially what got me thinking about keeping my next car stock. I don't have kids, nor am I married but I guess I just find better things to spend my money on that keep their value a lot better.

I didn't spend as much as others on here for mods (roughly $5k) but I think if I had to do it over again, I could live with driving a stock GS with painted OEM 17" wheels AND buy a nice IWC watch to wear around my wrist.

I also found that after upgrading my suspension/handling of the GS, I don't really push it THAT much harder to fully take advantage of the improvements. Maybe some of you guys are? haha.

If you read this thread, please post. I'm interested in hearing what everyone thinks.
Old 12-27-08, 03:21 AM
JonSC4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you guys. After dumping a ton of money into my MR2 I'm not too eager to do it again with another car. I hate having to worry about it and it's just too expensive to do it the right way. The only thing I'll probably always change is the stereo. That's at least something I get alot of use of and if you part it out you don't lose too much money.
Old 12-27-08, 03:53 AM
NoS
Lexus Champion

It's all in the tune they say. There are things I would do different, as in an LS1 instead. Which I will in the future.

I don't mind the daily hassle, its really minor stuff. Having 290rwhp,350tq @ 1.15 bar on a 2800lb car outweighs the hassles
Old 12-27-08, 05:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

A wise decision, cliffud. I've posted many times on the (many) benefits of not screwing around with a car and leaving it stock. In general, you will have a lot fewer problems with reliability, warranty coverage, and issues with cops.
Old 12-27-08, 08:17 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I may or may not modify my next car depending what it is . I haven't really been a hardcore modifier, but I would adjust a few things that I feel need improvement. Also, currently in the process of "stocking" out my SC. As was previously mentioned, my priorities are different right now. I just want a comfortable and reliable ride.
Old 12-27-08, 08:31 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I dumped some money into my 1994 GS300 recently and I find doing so actually saved me money because it cured me of the new car itch. I am about to get the car back from paint and I think I'll enjoy it as much as I would a new car and at 10% of the expense. I like having a car that no one else has and the way to do that is to modify it IMO.
Old 12-27-08, 08:35 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I will definitely be leaving my next car stock. In fact, I have reverted my car back to mostly stock just because modding gets boring after a while. It really sucks when you add up the bill and then figuring out you're only going to get maybe 35% of what you paid when you sell your mods. Very depressing.

My priorities are different now. It was fun while it lasted.
Basically my same feelings as well.
Old 12-27-08, 09:10 AM
RI-Lex
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My next car I won't mod except a set of springs, I also all about wheel gap reduction, My priorities are different now with being engaged, a mortgage I will not likely be able to mod future cars unlike in the past.
Old 12-27-08, 10:07 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by AM1
whenever friends or people i know that stop modifiying their cars, i always say that if you love what you do to your car then it shouldnt ever get "boring" or anything like that. people used to tell me that you grow out of it, to them i would say that if you grow out of it, then you probably didnt like it much to begin with. i personally dont ever see myself not modifiying anything i drive, 15 years doing this.
Believe me I love modifying cars as much as anyone else. I am addicted to working on cars. It's just when you dont have infinite cash funds, you can't mod as much . No doubt if I had all the money in the world, I'd mod like no tomorrow. But when it comes down to spending $3000 on wheels vs $3000 on gas/insurance/maintenance, it's a no brainer to me.

Quick Reply: Driving a stock car vs modded car. I think I'm keeping my next car stock.