Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Low Cost Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-09, 02:10 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
My preference is for mid-priced decent quality wheels. For example I had Mandrus wheels (made by TSW for Mercedes) on my 06 ML250. And I'm looking at MRR GT1's for my 07 IS350.
Originally Posted by Ice350
I really like the Mandrus stuff from TSW.
TSW also has a line of wheels specifically for Vette, BMW, Range Rover, Audi and I think one more. I wish they had stuff for Lexus because it's hard to fit the regular TSW stuff for our cars.
TSW also makes the brand Petrol but their offsets are too conservative for my tastes. Too bad because Petrol has a 5 spoke that I think is really sweet.

This is my second set of TSW wheels that I have owned ( I had a set on my G35). The quality is great and the price for 20's with tires was about 3300. Not very exspensice but they do the trick and I have never had any issue with dents, chrome, or anything being out of round, I will definetly stick with them in the future
Attached Thumbnails Low Cost Wheels-img_0003.jpg  
Old 01-01-09, 02:14 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Low Cost Wheels-img_0025.jpg  
Old 01-02-09, 01:16 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks dudes, for the hands-on wheel advice. Nothing beats the feedback from actual owners.
Old 01-02-09, 01:56 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I now officially withdraw all my comments about how inexpensive wheels are okay for normal day use, apparently not it seems. Notice my A okay not a single scratch on it tires.
Attached Thumbnails Low Cost Wheels-dsc_0061.jpg  
Old 01-03-09, 08:24 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll say it again....any wheel can be bent or broken. I can go to the wheel repair shop right not and bring back pics of the wheels in there for repair. I guarantee there will be more high end wheels sitting around. I see it everytime I go there.

What wheel is this in the pic?
Old 01-03-09, 01:13 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Its Konig, I am just mad because there is no damage to the tires, no bent anywhere else in the wheel! Metals crack at the defect points, that is science, but the fact that there wasnt even a bent shows a lot about the way the wheels was made: not well. I am running 18" wheel using Lexus 18" spec tire setup, 225/40/18... which isnt even that thin..

Also may I add I've had those for about 5 months
Old 01-03-09, 03:13 PM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm interesting. I never knew there were so many people with so many wheel problems. Personally, I couldn't care less about what other people put on their cars, and hence wouldn't go bagging them about what brand wheels they put on, though I do have opinions on styling choice etc. In the end, it's each for their own.
But many people are on the right page-length, pricing alone does not reflect quality of the product. Although, having an established and 'quality regarded' name brand isn't bad itself. After all, if you want quality, you usually have to pay for it. Hopefully you get what you pay for. Generally if you go with a well established brand, you would hope to get better quality, than a no name... hopefully. This is not always the case.
But to the OP, I agree comments shouldn't be made soley in relation to the brand of wheel someone is running.
But if you start a thread about quality, well than what about the fact that we could all be driving KIA's and Hyundai's or any less upmarket brand, pay less for the vehicles and still go from A to B. You expect the Lexus to be exceptional in comparison. And there is definetly a quality difference in that. My point is, that possibly, yes low cost wheels can do just the same as a higher cost wheel. But for how long and how well? The more work put into a wheel, generally the more it should cost. I prefer light racing wheels, over chromes or other types, but there's one thing. The light racing wheels are expensive... and hopefully they are worth it.
Old 01-03-09, 03:58 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Parker Gen
But to the OP, I agree comments shouldn't be made soley in relation to the brand of wheel someone is running.
But if you start a thread about quality, well than what about the fact that we could all be driving KIA's and Hyundai's or any less upmarket brand, pay less for the vehicles and still go from A to B. You expect the Lexus to be exceptional in comparison. And there is definetly a quality difference in that. My point is, that possibly, yes low cost wheels can do just the same as a higher cost wheel. But for how long and how well? The more work put into a wheel, generally the more it should cost. I prefer light racing wheels, over chromes or other types, but there's one thing. The light racing wheels are expensive... and hopefully they are worth it.
I don't know about others but I drive a Lexus because of the luxury and style it offers. Yes, there is above average quality but price doesn't guarantee quality in the automoblie world.
Honda, Toyota and Nissan cars are exceptional values with Honda Civics and Accords having very good resale values. Even Hyundai's with 6 year warranties are very good cars.
On the other end of the spectrum, Mercedes is known for electrical problems. Even Audi and BMW have histories of problems galore. Jaguar, before it was owned by Ford was one of theee worst cars on the market. It gets worse. Exotics...try driving those on a daily basis and you'll have it in the shop so much you'll curse the day you ever saw one. Are they desirable cars, yes...but reliable, big fat NO.

One more time...all wheels can have issues. Price doesn't guarantee years of trouble free ownership when it comes to higher cost wheels.
I agree, design and style are very much open to opinions and even some criticism. Cost should be left out for the most part. I'm sorry but this is irrefutable guys.

As for the crack in the Konigs. First time I have seen or heard of an issue with them. I'm sure there are a few others. Nothing is perfect. Doesn't mean it is a crap wheel until there is more evidence. I've seen several WOrk, Maya, Lowenhart, Asanti, etc that have been briken. No one is saying those aren't good wheels. Konig deserves a chance for more evidence before we put out the bad word on them. We don't know how the guy drives. Even he may not remember the incident that caused this. Anyone else have info on Konigs?
Old 01-03-09, 06:43 PM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=Ice350]
One more time...all wheels can have issues. Price doesn't guarantee years of trouble free ownership when it comes to higher cost wheels.
I agree, design and style are very much open to opinions and even some criticism. Cost should be left out for the most part. I'm sorry but this is irrefutable guys.[QUOTE]

And a big I AGREE.
Old 01-03-09, 06:44 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Those Konigs are my wheels, and I drive like a grandma, and that's what upsets me the most. Not only do I drive slow I pick the route with the smoothest of roads on my commute everyday regardless of the distance. I parked my car for the Christmas weekend and came out with a flat tire, took off the wheels are this is what I found.

My best bet is the crack developed slowly over time as there were no damages to the wheel visable, if that's the case I'm just glad it finally cracked to the point where I lost air, not a sudden failure where my wheel falls apart and not having to live till Christmas and receive my presents
Old 01-03-09, 06:45 PM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ice350
I agree, design and style are very much open to opinions and even some criticism. Cost should be left out for the most part. I'm sorry but this is irrefutable guys.
And a big I AGREE.
Old 01-03-09, 10:53 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A cracked wheel at any price is still a cracked wheel.
Old 01-04-09, 05:25 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
A cracked wheel at any price is still a cracked wheel.
You get a BIG.........I AGREE........to that!
Old 01-04-09, 09:57 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

My buddy had some HRE Monobloks on his Porsche and they cracked on him at the track... IOW, don't get'em... Not worth the money...

The statement above was taken from a post on another site.
I just wanted to illustrate what we've been saying....any wheel can crack. If this is true, do we rant and rave that HRE is no good? No! A wheel failed. The fact that it happened on a track is irrelevant to me because HRE says their wheels are made to handle racing. If several of them fail then I have an issue. Not until there is more information do we make some conclusions.
Wouldn't that be funny...a member post picks of their nice car with HRE's and someone replies with a post saying, that wheel is crap. There's insufficient evidence to say that.
Here's some facts I know of:
-Several people with Sevas S5 wheels have had tham crack or break. Several people with the forged Sevas have had issues of poor workmanship ie leaking air. Conclusion...Although I didn't have problems with the 2 sets I had, I won't ever buy Sevas again.
-Several years ago I bought a set of Zenetti wheels. The chrome started to peel off after a few weeks. Returned them for a new set. Same thing. Returned them for refund. Visited a wheel shop that took in several Zenetti's for trade. 90% of them were peeling. Conclusion...I would never buy chrome Zenetti's ever again.
-Bought a set of Maya wheels, chrome finish. After the 1 year warranty, there was corrosion under the chrome around the hub center, where water sits after a wash. Eventually the entire wheel looked piited as the chrome did not hold up. This is despite careful attention. Also, the Maya's don't hold up well against curbs. I hit one and the lip just caved in. Conclusion...from what I can see, Maya has improved the chroming since those wheels I bought in 2004 but I don't really want another set of them.
-I have a set of Work T1S on the car now. Lips are pretty strong as I have curb all 4 but just received rash, no bends. One wheel has corrosion under the clearcoat surface at the hub cap area where water gathers after a wash. The annodized lips are prone to scratching. I only have fine scrathes that most people won't see but I know they are there. Conclusion...WOrk makes good stuff but next time I will buy wheels with more durable lips.

Anyone else have personal stories of wheels problems they want to share?

Last edited by Ice350; 01-04-09 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-04-09, 02:38 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

i had very frustrating experiences with knock off wheels. they cracked twice on me, and dealing with vedors for replacement was a real kick in the head. Cost to have it fixed was as much as a rim itself. i don't know if i can consider my wheels now as a high-end, but i did a lot of research on quality, style, and customer service. it was a bit stretch for my budget honestly, but
there were no other wheels that i liked around my budget. so far my experience has been pretty satisfying especially with the customer service. i agree that any wheels can crack or bend, but i would like to minimize that chance, and even if it does, i'll be dealing with one of the reputable manufacturers. i rather keep stocks than having low budget wheels.

Quick Reply: Low Cost Wheels