Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The future of Infiniti. Is it finite?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-08, 10:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I know they, any many others including lexus, have fallen into hard times, but they arent going anywhere
Old 12-29-08, 10:07 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Infiniti has no focus--that's their problem. What does the brand stand for? What are their driving principles? What unifies the line-up across all model lines?

Acura has recently suffered from a similar kind of identity crisis, but at least you can safely say that they are upscale Hondas--better built, better materials, better performance, better service. I'd venture to say most of the buying public doesn't even know that Infiniti and Nissan are tied together.
Old 12-29-08, 10:30 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Iceman
Infiniti has no focus--that's their problem. What does the brand stand for? What are their driving principles? What unifies the line-up across all model lines?.
That's easy. Infiniti is performance luxury by Japanese interpretation. The brand had the strongest focus it has ever had. Lexus is, by comparison, luxury performance by Japanese interpretation. Infiniti's brand promise is a driver oriented experience and that pretty much holds up across all their vehicles except for the out of place QX56. The G, M EX and FX are all at the performance end of their respective market segments.

And I don't share the view that they are in some sort of dire crisis because of product (yeah, the EX and FX are cold in the sales department but they are actually keeping pace with or outselling most of their competition, i.e. X3, RDX, X6, Cayenne). The G and M are consistently in the upper regions of their segments as well. They certainly both do as well if not better than their Lexus counterparts.

The fact is that, for obvious reasons, almost nobody is looking all that great right now.

Infiniti need to expand it's product range with relevant offerings. That may not be things like the FX and EX but more like a GT-R based sedan.
Old 12-30-08, 06:49 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apart from North America, Infiniti is available in:

-Middle East
-South Korea
-Taiwan
-European Union (initial roll-out started early 2008 and will proceed till 2014)

Apart from those, the brand hasn't launched in other areas. Heck, they haven't even launched in Japan yet (heard it got pushed back to 2011). So yeah, though I hope that they push through with their plans to proceed with their global expansion plans. (even in the midst of the current global economic crisis.)
Old 12-30-08, 07:25 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
That's easy. Infiniti is performance luxury by Japanese interpretation. The brand had the strongest focus it has ever had. Lexus is, by comparison, luxury performance by Japanese interpretation. Infiniti's brand promise is a driver oriented experience and that pretty much holds up across all their vehicles except for the out of place QX56. The G, M EX and FX are all at the performance end of their respective market segments.

And I don't share the view that they are in some sort of dire crisis because of product (yeah, the EX and FX are cold in the sales department but they are actually keeping pace with or outselling most of their competition, i.e. X3, RDX, X6, Cayenne). The G and M are consistently in the upper regions of their segments as well. They certainly both do as well if not better than their Lexus counterparts.

The fact is that, for obvious reasons, almost nobody is looking all that great right now.

Infiniti need to expand it's product range with relevant offerings. That may not be things like the FX and EX but more like a GT-R based sedan.
With sales dropping to possibly under 100k units next year in America, that is a crisis. As I stated dealers invested heavily recently and in return, they get empty dealerships. The EX is selling at less than 50% of sales projections and it is brand new. The FX might be selling WORSE than the EX looking at sales projections.
We are all aware of the economic crisis and Infiniti sadly is expanding right when everything imploded. Good idea for the brand, awful timing.
The G37 as we know is superb, the M35/45 has done well with the next model coming.

They are doing a much better job than Acura when it comes to being a legitmate luxury brand eventually. I hope they stick to their guns and forge ahead.

Old 12-30-08, 11:01 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
With sales dropping to possibly under 100k units next year in America, that is a crisis. As I stated dealers invested heavily recently and in return, they get empty dealerships. The EX is selling at less than 50% of sales projections and it is brand new. The FX might be selling WORSE than the EX looking at sales projections.
We are all aware of the economic crisis and Infiniti sadly is expanding right when everything imploded. Good idea for the brand, awful timing.
The G37 as we know is superb, the M35/45 has done well with the next model coming.

They are doing a much better job than Acura when it comes to being a legitmate luxury brand eventually. I hope they stick to their guns and forge ahead.
This isn't just a Infinite problem at all today. Crisis/downturn is all too common at almost dealerships. EX/FX problem is no worse than other SUV's.
Old 12-31-08, 07:49 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

They are doing a much better job than Acura when it comes to being a legitmate luxury brand eventually.
What a baseless statement.
Old 12-31-08, 08:29 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Iceman
What a baseless statement.
Oh Really? Sorry Acura is Tier Toilet. Infiniti is still on the rise from a PRODUCT standpoint. Get mad all you want, report the post all you want, this is not a personal attack on you or anyone. This is where the brand stands. Deal with it.

1. Infiniti now is sold in Europe. Acura in America for America. They tried China where they are one of the worst selling brands there.
2. The G37 sedan is faster than any Acura. Let alone the coupe.
3. The G37 sedan performs better than any Acura. Let alone the M45.
4. Infiniti's are proper RWD cars, Acuras are gussied up Honda Accord platform cars.
5. Infiniti offers actually 3 V-8s. The 4.5 V-8, the new 5.0 V-8 and the 5.6 V-8. There is a better chance of snow in the Sahara desert than Acura making a V-8.
6. Infiniti dealerships, quality and ratings are better than Acuras, which continue to slip. Acura seems to have better safety, Japanese Volvo anyone?
7. Infiniti interiors are now better than Acura interiors, no small feat.
8. Nice AWD V-6 TL and RL. Infiniti has a AWD V-8 M45x to go with its V-6 AWD G37 sedan and coupe.
9. Infiniti doesn't have the image of a big rice brand that Acura has with all those Integras and RSXs running around with fart cans. Infiniti can still forge forward with their renewel.
10. Infiniti doesn't offer anything completely ghey anymore like the G20. Acura still does with the CSX, a damn Civic rebadge.
11. Infiniti drivers are TONS better on the road.
12. Infiniti's are not stolen like Acuras are.
13. Infiniti has at least some very good looking cars are at least in-offensive cars. Acura's look like absolute robot crap. They are disgusting to look at. They look so bad, the MDX now looks good to me, as the rest of the lineup scares children. The Infiniti EX looks like a model compared to any Acura.

I totally support Infiniti as a brand. Hell me and Overclocker PMd about his next ride and I totally said go with the G35x.

This thread is not to bash Infiniti. Its to see how far they have come and their opportunities. While they might fail with the EX/FX, at least its clear where they were headed with these vehicles.

Infiniti>Hyundai>Buick>Acura

Now cry me a river

Old 01-01-09, 12:06 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Oh Really? Sorry Acura is Tier Toilet. Infiniti is still on the rise from a PRODUCT standpoint. Get mad all you want, report the post all you want, this is not a personal attack on you or anyone. This is where the brand stands. Deal with it.

1. Infiniti now is sold in Europe. Acura in America for America. They tried China where they are one of the worst selling brands there.
2. The G37 sedan is faster than any Acura. Let alone the coupe.
3. The G37 sedan performs better than any Acura. Let alone the M45.
4. Infiniti's are proper RWD cars, Acuras are gussied up Honda Accord platform cars.
5. Infiniti offers actually 3 V-8s. The 4.5 V-8, the new 5.0 V-8 and the 5.6 V-8. There is a better chance of snow in the Sahara desert than Acura making a V-8.
6. Infiniti dealerships, quality and ratings are better than Acuras, which continue to slip. Acura seems to have better safety, Japanese Volvo anyone?
7. Infiniti interiors are now better than Acura interiors, no small feat.
8. Nice AWD V-6 TL and RL. Infiniti has a AWD V-8 M45x to go with its V-6 AWD G37 sedan and coupe.
9. Infiniti doesn't have the image of a big rice brand that Acura has with all those Integras and RSXs running around with fart cans. Infiniti can still forge forward with their renewel.
10. Infiniti doesn't offer anything completely ghey anymore like the G20. Acura still does with the CSX, a damn Civic rebadge.
11. Infiniti drivers are TONS better on the road.
12. Infiniti's are not stolen like Acuras are.
13. Infiniti has at least some very good looking cars are at least in-offensive cars. Acura's look like absolute robot crap. They are disgusting to look at. They look so bad, the MDX now looks good to me, as the rest of the lineup scares children. The Infiniti EX looks like a model compared to any Acura.

I totally support Infiniti as a brand. Hell me and Overclocker PMd about his next ride and I totally said go with the G35x.

This thread is not to bash Infiniti. Its to see how far they have come and their opportunities. While they might fail with the EX/FX, at least its clear where they were headed with these vehicles.

Infiniti>Hyundai>Buick>Acura

Now cry me a river

You really have something against Acura.

I have no problems with them. They interiors are first rate. Honda makes good reliable engines.

So what that they don't have a v8.

Last edited by pagemaster; 01-01-09 at 12:14 AM.
Old 01-01-09, 07:53 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Acura, and Honda interiors are not first rate in my opinion. BMW and Audi wipe the floor clean against the flibsy, cheap plastics Honda uses. Obvious distinction between Honda and the top tier Germans
Old 01-01-09, 08:53 AM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Why does the Acura logo when turned on its side have a partial resemblance to the Hurst Jaws of Life logo. I walked in the only Acura dealer we have here and was treated like TRASH and walked out faster than I went in. BTW the only Infiniti dealer we have is in a tiny old peanut factory building and has few windows and usually a black suited man guarding the front entrance.

Last edited by herbvdh; 01-01-09 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-01-09, 10:11 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pagemaster
You really have something against Acura.

I have no problems with them. They interiors are first rate. Honda makes good reliable engines.

So what that they don't have a v8.
Pot meet kettle. You have something against new model Lexus. You CLEARLY have something against the new LS. So before you decide to make a statement about someone, look in the mirror.

True Luxury brands have V-8s, PERIOD. Non luxury brands even have V-8s. FIne, Acura didn't offer one in the 1980s or 1990s. Well its 2009 and you STILL don't offer one? Not two, not three, not 5, we are talking about one? Hyundai has a RWD, V-8 car before Acura? lol lol lol

And EVEN IF they offered one, its TOO LATE. We have seen damn near everyone offer a V-8. Lexus, Infiniti, Volvo, etc. Hyundai, Kia. Ford, Chevy, Pontiac, etc etc. So its laughable when they finally offer one (if ever).

Then its not like we can argue "well they don't have V-8s but they have the best fuel economy". Their fuel economy from their old V-6s is like a V-8 or even worse. We can't argue their performance is the best or great either b/c they all are either mid-pack or at the rear in performance.

Oh, you can get Zagat though and a sweet NAV. lol.

Old 01-01-09, 11:11 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Pot meet kettle. You CLEARLY have something against the new LS. So before you decide to make a statement about someone, look in the mirror.
Yeah you are right. I do have something against the LS460. What I have against it is that it is a 4th place finisher at best. Audi 8, BMW 760 and S-Class are far ahead. The LS is not the 1st place class leader it once was aka LS430 which I have no problems with.

True Luxury brands have V-8s, PERIOD.
Disagree here. Flagship luxury vehicles have V8s.

True Luxury brands have V-8s, PERIOD. Non luxury brands even have V-8s. FIne, Acura didn't offer one in the 1980s or 1990s. Well its 2009 and you STILL don't offer one? Not two, not three, not 5, we are talking about one? Hyundai has a RWD, V-8 car before Acura? lol lol lol
Not a big deal. Acura buyers don't want v8s. If they did, honda would of made them. It is the conquest flagship buyers that seek V8s. Acura has never been the best conquest brand.
Old 01-01-09, 11:29 AM
LexFather

This thread is about Infiniti, if you and others want to talk about Acura, there is another thread nearby.

As for Infiniti, the G37 series is one of the best around. I truly wonder will they turn the M37/50 into the same kind of series with coupes, converts, etc.

Old 01-01-09, 05:44 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

As for Infiniti, the G37 series is one of the best around. .
Yup. 328 hp 3.7 v6 is pretty damn impressive considering the price. No need for a v8 for the G class.

Quick Reply: The future of Infiniti. Is it finite?