Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The future of Infiniti. Is it finite?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-09, 06:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Yup. 328 hp 3.7 v6 is pretty damn impressive considering the price. No need for a v8 for the G class.
Gotta remember, though, that when you are talking about acceleration, torque is a more important figure than HP. Torque, especially at lower RPMs, determines how fast you will get to 0-60; HP deterimes what your ultimate top speed will be.....a matter of little use on American roads, and most useful only on the german Autobahn.

Recent Nissan/Infiniti and Honda/Acura V6s are indeed impressive in the HP department (some of them are tweaked to produce over 300 HP) but torque in normally aspirated V6s, in most cases, still lags a little behind that of the average V8.

However, this does not necessarily contradict my earlier statements (or what I have posted in other threads about the V6-vs.-V8 issue in Acura and Infiniti products), because there are a number of other factors involved as well, such as aerodynamics, transmission/final-drive gearing, tire-rolling resistance, drivetrain efficiency, and the ultimate power-to-weight ratio.
Old 01-01-09, 07:32 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
That is very interesting. I have yet to see a stand alone Infiniti dealer here in Canada
Most Infiniti dealers in the GTA are stand alone. One just moved into the empty space left by the Volvo dealer on HWay7 in Markham. The one on Yonge/Steeles is co-located with all the RoyFoss dealers, but it is still a stand alone building with its own sales, service, parts and lot.
Old 01-01-09, 07:35 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryeno
I beg to differ.

Lets start with the FX. I do see a few on the road but for everyone one FX i see atleast 5-10RXs. And for every RX i see, i see atleast twice as many BMW X3s,X5s and a few X6s. And i see atleast as many as Cayenne as Fxs. And more Land Rovers then FX.

Then the G35/37/M45, for everyone of those i see , their are a TON more BMWs and Benzs. Like astleast 30-50 bimmers and benzs in relation to one of those infinitis. And atleast twice as many audis to infinitis. Then a good 15 times as many is,gs, and ls to said infinities. (ftw the is is a pretty good seller, i see more of them then gs's, es's or ls's)

In the big picture they are doing better then acura but with regards to the german cars and lexus, they are seriously lacking in sales.

Also some food for thought. In newport all we have is luxury car dealerships.
We have BMW, Ferrari, lambo, rolls royce, audi, bently, porsche, jaguar, land rover, benz and of course lexus.

Guess what we dont have. Cadillac, Infinity, Acura or Lincoln/Mercury. And those are the exact brands that are doing the worst in the luxury car category.

Honda and Nissan have to take a page out of toyota's playbook. Cripple your standard car brand to make your luxury brand, luxurious. Putting cars like the s2000 and nissan 350z which are relatively good sellers under your normal brand, undermines your luxury brand. (to be fair the land cruiser does that as well)
Only true in the independent country of California lol
Old 01-01-09, 09:11 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for everyone one FX i see atleast 5-10RXs.
YES.

And for every RX i see, i see atleast twice as many BMW X3s,X5s and a few X6s.
No way and I live in So Cal too.

Then the G35/37/M45, for everyone of those i see , their are a TON more BMWs and Benzs.
More, yes. A TON more? No way...

And atleast twice as many audis to infinitis
No way...

Then a good 15 times as many is,gs, and ls to said infinities.
No way...

Just my opinion.
Old 01-02-09, 01:23 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Gotta remember, though, that when you are talking about acceleration, torque is a more important figure than HP. Torque, especially at lower RPMs, determines how fast you will get to 0-60; HP deterimes what your ultimate top speed will be.....a matter of little use on American roads, and most useful only on the german Autobahn.

Recent Nissan/Infiniti and Honda/Acura V6s are indeed impressive in the HP department (some of them are tweaked to produce over 300 HP) but torque in normally aspirated V6s, in most cases, still lags a little behind that of the average V8.

However, this does not necessarily contradict my earlier statements (or what I have posted in other threads about the V6-vs.-V8 issue in Acura and Infiniti products), because there are a number of other factors involved as well, such as aerodynamics, transmission/final-drive gearing, tire-rolling resistance, drivetrain efficiency, and the ultimate power-to-weight ratio.
Great post here, mmarshall.

The low end torque out of the BMW twin turbo 6 for example is outrageous. The car pegs you to the seat with even the slightest blip of the throttle. I am with you with the assesement that there is little reason to splurge on the M3, this engine is magnificent in it's own right. 300lb-ft at just 1,400rpm is astonishing. Honestly, I think low-end torque is useful for American roads as well, espcially in cut/thrust city driving, not to mention on the highway.
Old 01-02-09, 06:10 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

I beg to differ.

Lets start with the FX. I do see a few on the road but for everyone one FX i see atleast 5-10RXs. And for every RX i see, i see atleast twice as many BMW X3s,X5s and a few X6s. And i see atleast as many as Cayenne as Fxs. And more Land Rovers then FX.

Then the G35/37/M45, for everyone of those i see , their are a TON more BMWs and Benzs. Like astleast 30-50 bimmers and benzs in relation to one of those infinitis. And atleast twice as many audis to infinitis. Then a good 15 times as many is,gs, and ls to said infinities. (ftw the is is a pretty good seller, i see more of them then gs's, es's or ls's)

In the big picture they are doing better then acura but with regards to the german cars and lexus, they are seriously lacking in sales.

Also some food for thought. In newport all we have is luxury car dealerships.
We have BMW, Ferrari, lambo, rolls royce, audi, bently, porsche, jaguar, land rover, benz and of course lexus.

Guess what we dont have. Cadillac, Infinity, Acura or Lincoln/Mercury. And those are the exact brands that are doing the worst in the luxury car category.

Honda and Nissan have to take a page out of toyota's playbook. Cripple your standard car brand to make your luxury brand, luxurious. Putting cars like the s2000 and nissan 350z which are relatively good sellers under your normal brand, undermines your luxury brand. (to be fair the land cruiser does that as well)
Check the sales numbers. Don't go by what you see. And the FX is really not a true competitor to the RX.
Old 01-02-09, 06:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
Thanks.

The low end torque out of the BMW twin turbo 6 for example is outrageous. The car pegs you to the seat with even the slightest blip of the throttle. I am with you with the assesement that there is little reason to splurge on the M3, this engine is magnificent in it's own right. 300lb-ft at just 1,400rpm is astonishing.
Agreed. For non-track use, I'd take the 335i over the M3 in an instant. It also offers an xi AWD version to compete with Audis, unlike the RWD-only M3.

Honestly, I think low-end torque is useful for American roads as well, espcially in cut/thrust city driving, not to mention on the highway.
Yes, I made that point clear in my post (I think you misead it...I wasn't suggesting otherwise). Low-end torque IS generally want Americans want, and often use. It is high-end HP, not torque, that is generally more compatable on the German Autobahn than American roads. That is because HP overcomes air resistance at high speeds, where there is little, if any acceleration, left.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-02-09 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-02-09, 06:44 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks.

Agreed. For non-track use, I'd take the 335i over the M3 in an instant. It also offers an xi AWD version, unlike the M3.

Yes, that was a point I made clear (I think you misead it)......low-end torque IS generally want Americans want, and often use. It is high-end HP, not torque, that is generally more comparable on the German Autobahn tham American roads. That is because HP overcomes air resistance at high speeds, where there is litle, if any acceleration, left.
I have a 335i and I would take an M3 over it. I even posted a vid of a Dinan 335 vs. Stock M3.. A modded 335 will never match the precision of a factory M3. The driving experience between the two are quite different..
Old 01-02-09, 07:34 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Imo I don’t think Infiniti has a problem in the prestige department. The only car that Lexus knocks Infiniti over the head with is the LS460. They may need another coupe or sedan in their line up but Infiniti is the closes you can get to a BMW with a better interior. For the record, I find BMW interiors disgusting. I find their interior cold. In ending I think Infiniti is doing ok they just need to continue to make nice cars and concentrate on marketing. Yes, Toyota does a great job at dumb down their lower division. I probably wouldn’t purchase a car in the Toyota line up except the Prius. That’s why Lexus is such a big step from Toyota. Lastly, I truly hate the way Toyota copy other companies ideas.
Old 01-02-09, 08:58 AM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FKL

The low end torque out of the BMW twin turbo 6 for example is outrageous. The car pegs you to the seat with even the slightest blip of the throttle. I am with you with the assesement that there is little reason to splurge on the M3, this engine is magnificent in it's own right. 300lb-ft at just 1,400rpm is astonishing. Honestly, I think low-end torque is useful for American roads as well, espcially in cut/thrust city driving, not to mention on the highway.
id say comes down to how you like to drive, what the roads are like where you are, your tastes in a car, etc.
Old 01-06-09, 08:35 AM
LexFather

Well the brand sold 112k vehicles in 2008. If sales dip another 10% (which is conservative) it will be right around 100k sold in 2009.

Old 01-06-09, 08:40 AM
ICEBERGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Infiniti, even though they are very nice cars, they just dont seem to do it for me. I loved the 1st gen G35's,and the M45 is okay but they just dont seem to grab my attention or make me want to stop by the dealer..But thats just me!!!
Old 01-06-09, 09:07 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well the brand sold 112k vehicles in 2008. If sales dip another 10% (which is conservative) it will be right around 100k sold in 2009.
Total Lincoln is about 108k.
Old 01-06-09, 09:27 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

So the figures are in. Percentage declines from previous year.

Audi - down 36%
Acura - down 20%
BMW (not including Mini) - down 15%
Mercedes - down 11%
Lexus - down 21%
Infiniti - down 11%
Old 01-06-09, 09:44 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
So the figures are in. Percentage declines from previous year.

Audi - down 36%
Acura - down 20%
BMW (not including Mini) - down 15%
Mercedes - down 11%
Lexus - down 21%
Infiniti - down 11%
Percentage declines don't tell the entire story and can easily be "spun". The fact is even down only 11%, they are still at the lower end of the sales ladder and will probably be under 100k units in 2009. Again to dip below 100k units would be a huge blow. Infinit also has a revised G37, new EX and new FX.

Even with Lexus down 21% for example, they still sold 260k vehicles as 2007 was a record breaking year with over 320k sold.

My crazy bet is watch for Infiniti to possibly revive the I35 as dealers beg for a product that sells in higher volume.

Quick Reply: The future of Infiniti. Is it finite?