Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Great Depreciation: Top 15 Used Car Deals

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-08, 10:38 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True. And some people will not buy used for a reason.....I happen to be one of them. IMO, even with the Certified Used Car programs and warranties, there is simply too much risk involved to justify the lower price. And, to top it off, I have not been impressed with the condition of many "Certified" used cars I've seen (I've examined them closely). It seems to be a PR campaign more than anything else....a way to justify higher prices for Certified cars than for non-Certified ones.

I see your point, and I typically buy heavily depreciated CPO cars for my daily driver, such as my IS350. Condition of CPO cars does vary considerably and therefore I cherry pick the best ones. I've never had any issues with these cars that the warranty would not cover. For knowledgeable buyers it's a low risk way to buy a nicely depreciated used car, at a bit of a pricing premium. But much of that premium can be negotiated downward by a experienced buyer.
Old 12-31-08, 10:21 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True. And some people will not buy used for a reason.....I happen to be one of them. IMO, even with the Certified Used Car programs and warranties, there is simply too much risk involved to justify the lower price. And, to top it off, I have not been impressed with the condition of many "Certified" used cars I've seen (I've examined them closely). It seems to be a PR campaign more than anything else....a way to justify higher prices for Certified cars than for non-Certified ones.
Well, I can see why you wouldn't to go the used route, but I have had great luck. I agree that you cannot just blindly purchase a certified car. But if you take your time, you can find some gems and save some good cash. I bought my 98 GS400 in 2000 and it had 50K miles. I drove it for 8 years, put on 90K miles, and did not have any issues. Buying it for 40% less than new helped as well. Generally, buying a used car will save you money over the long them vs buying new.
Old 12-31-08, 11:36 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by theanimala
Or better to buy used. I bought my A8L, which had a sticker of $81K new, for $32K with only 39K miles and a 3 year audi dealer warranty. Why buy new?
Nice find on the A8, that is the route I would go for a car like that. Paying 81K new just seems insane when a few years later you can get the same car for less then half that much. I am a DIY guy on most cosmetic/paint/interior things so even if there were some nicks or scratches or a broken or cracked trim piece from the previous owner I know I could fix it and make it unnoticeable for very little money and would still consider it especially when I am saving so much.
Old 01-01-09, 10:02 AM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are some great deals in that article.
Old 01-01-09, 04:32 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

At a few dealerships around here, there are MANY 2008 Escalades for under $30k. Not high mileage versions, but trade-ins... There was one that was catching my dad's eye for $26k with 35k on the ODO... But, he's not really interested in paying $75 for a tank of gas...
Old 01-01-09, 05:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by theanimala
Well, I can see why you wouldn't to go the used route, but I have had great luck. I agree that you cannot just blindly purchase a certified car. But if you take your time, you can find some gems and save some good cash. I bought my 98 GS400 in 2000 and it had 50K miles. I drove it for 8 years, put on 90K miles, and did not have any issues. Buying it for 40% less than new helped as well. Generally, buying a used car will save you money over the long them vs buying new.
Agreed.....there are some cream puffs on the used-car markets. But the average car owner (even though you may not be one of them) does not take care of his or her car to my standards). Too many people don't wash the salt off in the winter (epecially underneath and out of the wheel wells), spill things on the seat upholstry, protect the carpets with floor mats, change the oil at often-enough intervals, get the tires and/or brake rotors worked on or replaced when vibratons/shimmies develop, etc.... Then they take the cars to the dealership and try to unload them for as much as they can get on a trade-in.
Old 01-01-09, 06:04 PM
asianrock
Driver School Candidate

Agreed.....there are some cream puffs on the used-car markets. But the average car owner (even though you may not be one of them) does not take care of his or her car to my standards). Too many people don't wash the salt off in the winter (epecially underneath and out of the wheel wells), spill things on the seat upholstry, protect the carpets with floor mats, change the oil at often-enough intervals, get the tires and/or brake rotors worked on or replaced when vibratons/shimmies develop, etc.... Then they take the cars to the dealership and try to unload them for as much as they can get on a trade-in.
I agree, a majority of people do not maintain their cars to my standards either which is why I will probably never buy a used car unless it was from a person I knew personally. Even many people who lease cars do not treat them right even though they will have to return it. They simply just try to clean up the car right before trade in. I often see people with a nicer car like a bmw drive 30-35 mph over a big speed bump and bottoming out, which I just assume is a lease since most of them are young fellows. Anyways unless a person has to sell the car for financial reasons, the only other common reason a person would probably sell it if it was a POS (reliability, crashed it badly, ect.), since a majority of the short term drivers of cars lease them...Unless you are simply buying a pretty old car.

Last edited by asianrock; 01-01-09 at 06:47 PM.