Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jeremy Clarkson's Car of the Year: CORVETTE ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-08, 09:11 AM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to own one of these bad boys!
Old 12-30-08, 11:20 AM
muhbuhtuh
Lexus Champion

im not suprised he chose this car. he was in love with this car in one of the episodes
Old 12-30-08, 03:03 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

A big victory for the Corvette team. In the U.S. Corvettes of any type sell easily, but in Europe Porsches are much more popular. In fact I read in England last year, they sold more Lamborghinis then Corvettes. Lately there has been such a focus on getting European buyers and that is why the Nurburgring times and testing is so important. So having Clarkson like the new ZR1 is a very big deal.
Old 12-30-08, 11:12 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
ZR1 is an amazing beast, but the formula is pretty much the same. Huge blown motor. The GTR offers much more advanced technology in terms of traction and advanced foot work. Wait for the GTR spec V to be released. The ZR1 has a huge power advantage over the GTR but doesnt beat the standard GTR by what you would expect from a 158 hp advantage and an almost equal advantage in torque.

ps the guy works for the LA times. I think I trust my opinion in car of the year as well as the other half dozen huge auto publications that have awarded Godzilla the number spot and car of the year.
You must be the biggest GTR fanboy I have EVER seen. You trust your opinion of this car? What does that even mean? Does the fact that this car wins some award from a well-known auto-journalist rub you the wrong way because it wasn't your precious GTR? Here you are AGAIN talking excuses about why you like the GTR better than car X. The ZR1 is MUCH faster than the standard GTR. Runs almost 20mph more in the traps than non-magazine-test cars. (131-132 versus ~112-114). Then again, it costs A LOT more. These cars aren't even in the same class. It'd be like comparing the GTR to the LF-A or a Honda Civic to an NSX.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's because pushrod engines, while somewhat unrefined, produce a lot of torque at low RPM's, which is what a lot of Corvette (and American) drivers want.
Not true. DOHC engines can have an identical powerband to a pushrod motor if the designer wants it. Ask the Tundra. DOHC costs more but offers a much wider range of usage for a single engine design.

The reason GM uses the pushrod is:
A) It is a solid motor that has been around for A LONG time and GM does not have a modern DOHC V8. GM is/was/will probably be always about cutting costs on their cars and the cost of R&Ding a modern DOHC V8 for fleetwide use is not a good economic move in their eyes.

B) It is lightweight and very compact. Ask the RX-7 swap guys about the LS1 and LS6 swaps. I don't think there's a car on the planet that will even touch a LS6 or LS7 FD with the right shoes on. I've heard the stock LS7 FD swaps will net nearly 140mph traps and almost 9 second timeslips with DRs

Last edited by Bean; 12-30-08 at 11:16 PM.
Old 12-30-08, 11:37 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Yay-Z
Well, its his opinion, Just looking at the interior of the car, I already know I cant agree with his assessment.
The interior is probably the least important part of this car. It's suppose to be a bang for the buck performance car- and it is. Yet, you still get civilized road manners (thanks to that wonderful magnetic suspension) for the streets, not to mention, for a 1/4 of the price compared to other similarly performing supercars.

The interior is not the greatest, but its not acceptable considering everything else you are getting for that price.
Old 12-31-08, 05:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean

Not true. DOHC engines can have an identical powerband to a pushrod motor if the designer wants it. Ask the Tundra. DOHC costs more but offers a much wider range of usage for a single engine design.
Well, yes and no. The Tundra's I-Force V8, with its 400 ft-lbs of torque, is designed more for stump-pulling and towing more so than for Corvette-type 0-60 times. Even apart from the complexity/production costs, Europeans, traditionally, have driven and shifted at higher RPMs than the average American driver. That has made OHC designs more popular there.....push-rod engines tend to get valve float, have lower red-lines on the tach, and, in general, are less tolerant of high RPMs then an OHC. The Mazda rotary engines, of course, also dispense with high-RPM problems, but are generally less reliable, especialy with apex-tip seals, and guzzle too much gas for their size.

The reason GM uses the pushrod is:
A) It is a solid motor that has been around for A LONG time and GM does not have a modern DOHC V8. GM is/was/will probably be always about cutting costs on their cars and the cost of R&Ding a modern DOHC V8 for fleetwide use is not a good economic move in their eyes.
GM does have a relatively modern DOHC V8...the 4-cam, 32-valve Cadillac Northstar, although it has, to some extent, been plagued with oil consumption. Its power levels, however, are being equalled (or exceeded) by some new Nissan/Infiniti V6's. There is also a reasonably modern, transversely-installed, FWD 5.3L V8 on the "Super" Buicks, Chevy Impala SS, and Pontiac Grand Prix GNP....again, matched by some Nissan/Infiniti V6s.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-31-08 at 05:33 AM.
Old 01-01-09, 02:35 AM
Lexwang07

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Corvette ZR1 is the bomb.
Old 01-01-09, 08:58 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whoster
the sad thing about his GT was that all the problems came from an immobilizer alarm system installed by Ford UK IN the UK after it arrived perfectly fine from the factory here in the States.
Did anyone ever acknowledge that on the program?
ZR1 is a helluva car!
Old 01-04-09, 12:49 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
the ferraris and porsches have far better interior quality than the vette, but I am not sure if that warrants a 150k increase in price
Consumers who want multiple features in a car often have to pay a substantial premium for it. Ever try to use an Elise as a daily driver and go grocery shopping (not to mention over a pothole)? Ever go to Nissan to get service (hint: it's the same dealer whether you bought a $100,000 marked-up "supercar" or a $10,000 Versa)?

It's hard to engineer and design a car that is high-performance yet also offers a luxury interior, ease of driveability, creature comforts and options, good dealership service, and reliability. (That's probably why I love my F so much.) If the only thing any vehicle buyer cared about was performance, we'd all be riding motorcycles.