Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Webs of speed cameras coming to UK

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-08, 07:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts
Default Webs of speed cameras coming to UK

by feeding data about speed at multiple camera points the computers behind it all can determine if someone was breaking the speed limit at any point along their journey.

read it and weep...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7661013.stm
Old 12-29-08, 08:02 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i wanna see Clarksons reaction to this.
Old 12-30-08, 08:56 AM
LexFather

Pathetic. They need to put that effort into their damn economy and running the country corretly.

Old 12-30-08, 09:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
i wanna see Clarksons reaction to this.
If he wants to keep driving in England, it will simply be a lighter foot on the gas pedal.
Old 12-30-08, 11:26 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Revenue generation is the main goal, this has been going on for years.
2. In England you don't have the same protection that the US constitution affords Americans.
Old 12-30-08, 03:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,021 Likes on 2,436 Posts

I can see demand for the James Bond style rotating number plate skyrocketing if they really do this.
Old 12-30-08, 04:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I can see demand for the James Bond style rotating number plate skyrocketing if they really do this.
Probably wouldn't work. It would be caught in a vehicle safety inspection....or maybe even a routine traffic stop.
Old 12-30-08, 04:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
1. Revenue generation is the main goal, this has been going on for years.
2. In England you don't have the same protection that the US constitution affords Americans.
You don't in America, either. Legally, in all 50 states, driving is considered a priviledge, not a right, although you do, of course, have the right to contest a ticket in traffic court.
Old 12-30-08, 04:45 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You don't in America, either. Legally, in all 50 states, driving is considered a priviledge, not a right, although you do, of course, have the right to contest a ticket in traffic court.

In the US we have due-process, that's the main difference. It has nothing to do with the priviledge of driving (agreed-not a right), based on a drivers license test that's a joke. In the US, because of our legal protections, many courts have given up on photo radar because of the challenges and judges throwing out the cases. Also some cases involved gaming the photo radar equipment to increase revenue generation in the US, and this too was documented.

btw - My parents both received drivers licenses in England, a much more stringent and thorough real test of driving ability.

Europe has happily discovered the revenue generating benefits of speed enforcement over the last decade and has taken full advantage.

Last edited by IS-SV; 12-30-08 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-30-08, 06:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I cant believe the insane invasion of privacy. They are gonna have their eye on all of us constantly sooner or later. We as a society have to stand up to this kind of veiled invasion of privacy because it will not stop. In AZ the city is already screwing its citizens with speed cameras on the freeways. Its soooooooooooooooooo irritating . I hate the way they will use the BS excuse that the entire set up is for our safety. Its BS. Any time I pass a speed camera I freakn floor it to make a damn point. I want them to know that they dont work. They actually have warning signs before the stupid traps , so people just slow down then floor it after. Its soooo lame. Even when they issue citations people dont even answer them. The city has to physically serve the driver with the notice. I support all to ignore these citations to let the city know that tey are not working. As of jan 1st te city will start charging 166 dollars if your lic plate frame covers the name of the state on the lic plate. They are just looking for new and exciting ways to screw the already financial strained public

Last edited by I8ABMR; 12-30-08 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-30-08, 06:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i8ambr, what state r u in?
Old 12-30-08, 11:03 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

he's in the same city i'm in Bit... phoenix.
Old 12-30-08, 11:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
In the US we have due-process, that's the main difference.
dream on... speed cameras have been used in several parts of the u.s. and i believe (don't know for certain) that they're still used in some places. (edit: i see above post they're active in AZ)

moreover, fascist states i hate driving in like maryland and virginia still have illegal bans on radar detectors. i don't drive like a mad man but anyone can go over the speed limit when driving with prevailing traffic and to get a ticket for that is irritating to say the least.

oregon and north carolina plan to 'tax' cars BY THE MILES DRIVEN and WHEN THEY'RE DRIVEN, and WHERE THEY'RE DRIVEN. uh, privacy? surely you jest. and of course with that 'tracking' they'll also know whenever ANYONE speeds.

all cars will 'snitch' on the drivers soon enough... it's almost game over.

the revenue potential is just too desirable for politicians to resist.
Old 12-31-08, 12:02 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

In Mexico City, they have fixed speed cameras set up in certain areas of the city and it's also a case of no due process, no fighting the calibration of the cameras, you get a ticket by one of those machines, you can consider it a ticket from god according to the local government. It didn't apply to me as a foreigner, only Mexico City plated vehicles since they need to tie a plate number to an address, etc.
Old 01-01-09, 11:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The cities of America are in very very poor financial standings and are looking to law enforcement to help increase the cities revenue quickly and effectively. Its BS. In a time when the citizens are being laid off and losing their homes these theiving city officials are stealing from their constituents. They will use the exuse that this is to stop all speeding in the city, but if that happened where would they be financially??? Its clear to any person with half a brain that they are not interested in our safety as much as they are interested in using our safety as a shield to steal our money with no argument from the masses

Quick Reply: Webs of speed cameras coming to UK