Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2009 Mazda 6 vs. 2008 Honda Accord vs. 2008 Nissan Altima

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-09, 12:05 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
A bit slow 0-60 times for these v6s. Once again the Passat is left out. Accoed having top level refinement? Interesting, I'll show you my cheap Honda cost cutting weather stripping flaking away.
Simple why, the passat is the best car out of all of them ranging from material quality to power fantastic looks and awd option it blows all of them away. the mazda looks nice but it's a typical japaneese sedan it looks fresh for the first few weeks but than it just dies down and it becomes forgotten unlike the german sedans that make a big statement
Old 01-02-09, 12:55 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

It's a shame, becuase the current Passat is the class standard in most every category but cost of ownership. The engine choices, equipment levels, luxury options, and of course, driving dynamics. I like my "typical Japanese" Honda, certainly superior than the trash GM/Ford were peddling away in 2004, but it's clear who leads this class. Volume isn't everything, and it's a shame that low sales numbers hold it out of most family sedan comparisons (though when it is included, it scores near the top, if not the top [MT aug]).

With that said, I disagree that the Mazda 6 is just another boring appliance. It's probably the most involving car here behind the Passat, which Mazda deserves immense credit for.
Old 01-02-09, 01:53 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FKL
It's a shame, becuase the current Passat is the class standard in most every category but cost of ownership. [MT aug]).
How bad is that VW reliability these days? Have they improved to at least average?
Old 01-02-09, 01:59 PM
Slick85
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by speedflex
This is based on what???
Based on my own opinion, I just don't like how Mazdas look (aside from the current 3) Lots of "metal" all over the interior and just overall not my cup-o-tea. In my opinion it is overhyped, but that's just my opinion so people can think whatever they'd like.
Old 01-02-09, 03:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpower
See if you can get a SE model for your Camry review. I had a 4-banger Camry SE as rental for a weekend a while back and I kind of like it.
I reviewed a new Camry SE, by request, a couple of years ago, and found it very wanting in its cheap, silver-painted dash plastics, wobbly, flimsy *****, general interior design, and overall ergonomics, though its drivetrain, paint job, and stereo were all first-rate in the Toyota tradition. I, too, am waiting to see what Mike (1SICKLEX) thinks of the car after his review.
Old 01-02-09, 10:19 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i saw the mazda 6 commercial, and damn, it has a lot of equipment and tech.

it has pretty much everything a lexus has.
you get a lot of bang for the buck.

the shiftgate and **** look like they're lifted from the GS

and that's a nice butt:

and the pimp white leather on black trim:
Old 01-02-09, 11:24 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am into the new mazda 6. It looks great.
Old 01-03-09, 12:11 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dunnojack
i saw the mazda 6 commercial, and damn, it has a lot of equipment and tech.

it has pretty much everything a lexus has.
you get a lot of bang for the buck.

the shiftgate and **** look like they're lifted from the GS

and that's a nice butt:

and the pimp white leather on black trim:
That's hot.
Old 01-03-09, 05:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I've looked at the new Mazda 6 in a static (non-test-drive) review, but didn't write it up. It is indeed longer and more slickly-styled than its predecessor, but the roofline is too low for tall people (particularly in the back seat), some of the interior/dash plastic parts are unimpressive, and (though I didn't actually drive it) the low-profile tires (without higher-profile ones as an option) and stiff chassis seem to promise a pretty firm ride. In other words, it seems to be taking the same route that almost all new/redesigned sedans are taking these days. In fact, in its dash, front fenders/trim, and overall low stance, it seems to have a fair amount of RX-8 influence in it.
Old 01-03-09, 06:40 PM
leedogg
Lead Lap

i havent checked recently, but one problem I had with Mazda was the resell value. Damn things dropped like a rock. The new one definitely looks good though. I would pick that over the others as well if the resell held up...