Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford introducing one-touch self-parking on Lincoln MKS, MKT

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-08, 05:35 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Ford introducing one-touch self-parking on Lincoln MKS, MKT

Did anyone else hear about this. It seems Ford will be offering park assist on some Lincoln models. Ford says it's better than Lexus because unlike the camera's Lexus uses, Ford's system uses sensors to provide the inputs for the manuevers.
Here's a link.

http://jalopnik.com/cars/detroit-aut...ks-5120352.php
Old 01-07-09, 11:16 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Ford introducing one-touch self-parking on Lincoln MKS, MKT

Ford introducing one-touch self-parking on Lincoln MKS, MKT

DEARBORN, Mich., Dec. 30, 2008 – The often stressful and frustrating task of parallel parking soon will be as easy as pressing a button for owners of the Lincoln MKS flagship sedan and all-new Lincoln MKT seven-passenger luxury crossover, thanks to an exclusive new technology from Ford Motor Company called Active Park Assist.

Available in mid-2009 as an option on the 2010 Lincoln MKS sedan and new Lincoln MKT crossover, Active Park Assist uses an ultrasonic-based sensing system and Electric Power Assisted Steering (EPAS) to position the vehicle for parallel parking, calculate the optimal steering angle and quickly steer the vehicle into a parking spot.

“With the touch of a button, Lincoln MKS and MKT drivers can parallel park quickly, easily and safely without ever touching the steering wheel,” said Derrick Kuzak, Ford’s group vice president of Global Product Development. “This is another example of exclusive Ford smart technology, such as Ford SYNC, that makes the driving experience easier and more enjoyable for our customers.”

Active Park Assist system uses sensors on the front and rear of the vehicle to guide the vehicle into a parking space. The technology is a major leap forward in speed and ease of use compared with the camera-reliant systems offered by competitors, including a video camera-based system offered by Lexus. Ford’s system requires less driver interface and reduces the risk of selecting a parking spot that is too tight. Ford’s Active Park Assist also works in downhill parking situations, unlike competing systems.

Here’s how Active Park Assist works:

- The driver activates the system by pressing an instrument panel button, which activates the ultrasonic sensors to measure and identify a feasible parallel parking space.

- The system then prompts the driver to accept the system assistance to park.

- The steering system then takes over and steers the car into the parking space hands-free. The driver still shifts the transmission and operates the gas and brake pedals.

- A visual and/or audible driver interface advises the driver about the proximity of other cars, objects and people and provides instructions.

- While the steering is all done automatically, the driver remains responsible for safe parking and can interrupt the system by grasping the steering wheel.

- Active Park Assist is enabled by Ford’s advanced EPAS technology. In addition to helping with parallel parking, EPAS improves fuel economy up to 5 percent, while reducing CO2 emissions and enhancing steering performance compared with traditional hydraulic powered-assisted steering systems. EPAS saves fuel primarily because the steering system is powered by an electric motor connected to vehicle’s battery, as opposed to engine-mounted hydraulic pump steering systems. By 2012, Ford plans to fit nearly 90 percent of the Ford, Lincoln and Mercury lineup with EPAS.

“As we use advanced technology like Electric Power Assisted Steering to improve the fuel efficiency across our vehicle lineup, we have the opportunity to introduce new comfort and convenience innovations like Active Parking Assist,” said Ali Jammoul, Ford’s chief engineer for chassis engineering and steering systems. “This is technology not for the sake of technology, but technology designed to meet the needs and wants of customers.”

As Ford introduces EPAS in more vehicles, it will be able to offer Active Parking Assist in more models. In addition, Ford is working on using EPAS and other sensors for other smart technologies, including one that could prevent a vehicle from drifting out of lane on the highway.

Active Park Assist works in tandem with other new technologies that will be offered on the 2010 MKS and MKT and other Ford Motor Company vehicles, including Blind Spot Information System (BLIS™) and Cross Traffic Alert. BLIS employs a sensor on the outboard rear quarter panel that monitors the traditional blind spot area, and can notify the driver with a warning indicator light in the corresponding side view mirror if the sensors in this optional system detect a vehicle in the blind spot. Cross Traffic Alert uses BLIS sensors to help detect cross traffic when backing out of a parking space.

More details about the new Lincoln MKT seven-passenger luxury crossover will be available when it debuts at the 2009 North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January.

The Lincoln MKS sedan – which went on sale this summer with strong initial sales that have helped Lincoln gain share in the luxury segment in the second half of this year – raises the bar on exclusive technologies offered in a luxury car.
Old 01-07-09, 11:19 AM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What ever happened to knowing how to park?
Old 01-07-09, 11:25 AM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by suislide
Most of these parking assist cars are pretty long, and many drivers may not be accustomed to judging their size.
Plus, it's an added feature that may come to be that extra gimmick that pushes someone over the edge to buy the vehicle.

I still don't know how to parallel park my tiny IS, and I'd probably fail the road test if I took it again today
Old 01-07-09, 11:43 AM
lexdymndz
Lead Lap

thats cool. i would like to see it in action in a commercial or something.
but i still wont by a lincoln.

and i know how parallel park, but id rather not risk curbing my volks.
i wonder if this system will keep you far enough from the curb.
Old 01-07-09, 02:01 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexdymndz
thats cool. i would like to see it in action in a commercial or something.
but i still wont by a lincoln.

and i know how parallel park, but id rather not risk curbing my volks.
i wonder if this system will keep you far enough from the curb.
I'd rock it
Old 01-07-09, 03:00 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i never liked the LS460 parking assist gimmick. does more harm than good.
too much screen pressing.

This video sums it up nicely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0KDco0g3A8
the human parks faster than the computer. and doesn't hold up traffic, pissing off the 10 drivers behind him

this ford assist seems faster, and sounds just like the audi assist:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAeel-JmZVg
Old 01-07-09, 09:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

It will help grandma. I live in phoenix where we have MASSIVE parking. I cant even imagine having to parralel park in AZ
Old 01-07-09, 09:16 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Let's face it guys, park assist is just the beginning of what's coming for automobiles. Soon we'll be able to tell our car where we want to go and just sit back, relax and let the car take you there.
I don't mind something like that. As long as there is an off switch for when I feel like driving myself.
Old 01-07-09, 09:21 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I park fine using my skills.
Old 01-07-09, 11:40 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by suislide
Clearly long gone, that's why people scrape your bumper or bump your Range Rover to know when to stop moving forwards/backwards (yes, I'm still miffed)

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Me too; in fact, I parked my tank (nic-name for Rover = 'tank') 4x today and I didn't hit anything! Two of those times I even parked half on snow mounds so I could get close enough to where the curb is & yes, it was between two other cars which I didn't even touch. (amazing I know)

I often put my cars in spots smaller than what park assist would consider 'appropriate' (especially the IS downtown) so even if I had this feature I can't really imagine it getting too much use. Now, there are deffinately people that should have and use park assist, but these are also generally the people I think shouldn't be allowed to drive in the first place.

..................... I fell approximately the same way about Nissan's "around view"
Old 01-08-09, 09:21 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Cool Another car for audi A4 to take a jab now since they can leave the lexus alone
Old 01-08-09, 09:43 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I wish I didn't have to pay for the self-park option on my Lexus, I wish I could get something much more useful to me for the money spent on it ...
Old 01-08-09, 09:54 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Sometimes I'll choose a space to parallel park vs. using a head in spot, just to use the skill. A use it or loose it kind of a thing.
Old 01-08-09, 12:56 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Sometimes I'll choose a space to parallel park vs. using a head in spot, just to use the skill. A use it or loose it kind of a thing.
I agree, and some of the Lincoln drivers need to lose their license. Actually in Europe, they wouldn't even pass the driving test.

Quick Reply: Ford introducing one-touch self-parking on Lincoln MKS, MKT