Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I am done with Car and Driver Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-09, 10:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default I am done with Car and Driver Magazine

I was recently reading an article in the Feb issue of car and driver entitled " auto pilots" In this comparison they compared the M3 to the standard ( non turbo) 911. It was a lame article because we should already know that the BMW would have one secondary to the 20% more hp, larger brakes, wider tires. higher rev range, and better hp/weight ration. So why do a comparison like this?? Its because they are BMW biased. This magazine is notorious for being BMW biased. What pissed me off is the fact that the editor/author said that the M3 is so great that it has even " dispatched " the stupendous GTR. That was the straw that broke the camels back for me. What a joke? An M3 "dispatch" a Nissan GTR?? LOL

I was pissed so I sent a letter to their backfires section telling them that they are way the hell off an totally biased. I reminded them that in their Nov 08 "track Meat" issue they compared some of the worlds fastest/trackworthy cars. In this comparioson they showed that the GTR beat the M3 in every single category in every single sector on the entire track. How is it that they are gonna say a few months later that a BMW M3 will " dispatch " a GTR??????? Total BMW bias. I would never say that the M3 is not one of the purest forms of driving pleasure available today. BUT I would also never say that a GTR would " dispatch " an M3, especially after I published a huge extensive track comparison a few months earlier. Anyone who know cars knows that the M3 would absolutely be "dispatched" by the GTR. As much as I love the GTR I am not making this big of a deal because its my dream car. I am upset because they as auto journalists should be aware that they have the responsibility to report objectively and to realize that their readers are enthusiats with some comprehension skills. Needless to say I am done with this magazine. I have been tired of the crappy reviews and BMW bias. I will not be renewing my subscription. I cant believe these clowns are still up and running but we lose sport compact car

have any of you had similar experiences with this magazine , or any other automotive publication?????

Last edited by I8ABMR; 01-01-09 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-01-09, 10:27 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

It's a free country and everyone's entitled to their opinion. I am reminded of that when people cancel their subscriptions to the NY Times.
Old 01-01-09, 11:00 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I am upset because they are printing lies that dont even line up with previuos published info by their magazine not because their opinion doesnt line up with mine. There is a diference between me cancelling my subscription because they bashed the GTR , and because they lied about the abilities of the M3. I have ost much faith in their magazine, editorials, and reviews for now on. I already subscribe to 9 different car magazines. I can definetly afford to cut the crappy ones out to make some room in my mail box for better magazines. Car and Driver sucks.
Old 01-01-09, 11:10 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was done with Car and Driver a long time ago, back when they have to give the E90 330i one "must have" point in order for it to beat the IS350...

Looks like they just can't let anyone else to win a comparo except their beloved BMW and Honda.
Old 01-01-09, 11:18 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I used to embarrass BMW 328's in my G35 sedan, yet they would say that the 328 with massive power deficencies will out performa G35 even though the 0-60, braking, and handling was better on the G35. Car and Driver is a weak automotive publication that publishes proof of its bias and ignorance. Magazines like EVO and CAR are far better publications, but if you want a US auto magazine I would stick with Road and Track magazine
Old 01-01-09, 11:34 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car and Driver biased towards BMW? <sarcasm>I never heard such a thing....</sarcasm>

Yeah....there are numerous threads on this subject.
Old 01-02-09, 12:12 AM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats why now, you can get a FREE years subscription to Car and Driver. Not worth me paying the 14.95 or whatever.

At least enjoy the pictures.
Old 01-02-09, 12:17 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
It was a lame article because we should already know that the BMW would have one secondary to the 20% more hp, larger brakes, wider tires. higher rev range, and better hp/weight ration. So why do a comparison like this??
cars are not just about numbers. the driving dynamics, steering response, the firmness of the button, or the weight of the door is something really hard to put into objective numbers. Most magazines seem to be biased to some manufacturer. I try to read magazines from the States, Japan, and Europe. It's interesting how many different opinions people have around the world.

but the best review is by driving them yourself.
Old 01-02-09, 12:45 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

I don't follow your logic. The BMW M3 deservies most all of the praise it recieves. Of course it's not as "fast" as the Nissan GT-R, but as was said above, there is more to a car than performance numbers. The M3 has more soul behind the wheel. Class benchmark, bar none. Lexus, BMW, Audi, Nissan - The BMW M3 (and Porsche 911) are still the cars to beat. Nissan did a hell of a job still. Others will have different opinions. BMW is not a company that you can easily say deserves no credit for most always setting the bar for how a car should drive. Steering feel, feedback, tracking, understeer, road feel. BMW does this right, it really cannot be argued. It's obvious that C&D comes to these comparisons with performance as their overreaching decision factor.

I personally like C&D, I like the comparison tests, even as I've disagreed many, many times. The pictures are great, the commentary is entertaining, and really, it's great to sit back and relax with any car mag, frusterating or not

Last edited by FKL; 01-02-09 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-02-09, 05:29 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

I would have someone double check your spelling and grammar for you because if you type like you did in this thread "Ed" is going to have a field day with you.
Old 01-02-09, 05:50 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It seems like every car magazing and car show is all over BMW and Corvette. Irrespective of what new car they are testing, if it is going against one of these two then it will almost always lose where their subjectiveness plays a role.

In fact, I haven't renewed my subscriptions to any car magazines as I get all of my car news out here now!
Old 01-02-09, 05:53 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

BMW has also turned Motor Trend towards a similar slant... just look at what company perennially has inside/outside covers of these mags... will give you a clue...
Old 01-02-09, 06:37 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nothing beats driving the cars for yourself. Take advantage of the many driving events come 2009.. Sitting at home reading magazines will just make you pudgy.
Old 01-02-09, 06:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by sc-driver
thats why now, you can get a FREE years subscription to Car and Driver. Not worth me paying the 14.95 or whatever.
i'm no longer even interested in free. i got my last issue a couple of months ago. i still didn't read it all and threw it away (well, recycled it!).
Old 01-02-09, 08:06 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

I've concluded years ago they're not worth the paper it's printed on ... even if they're free, I don't need more garbage in my house.

Quick Reply: I am done with Car and Driver Magazine