Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 Mecedes S550

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-09, 04:57 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nobody said a Mercedes was reliable, obviously it has other positive attributes, but reliability has not been one in last 10 years or so.

PS leaks are common on the 1st and 2nd generation ML's, but I don't know if it's same system as used in sedans.
Old 01-04-09, 05:03 PM
Oleg400
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo
Not right now. The OP was just talking about later on. Even after the lease is over and in this auto market climate, I doubt you can pick up a clean 07 S for 20k.

As for the OP, was the car leaking before? It could just be an incompetent, distracted, or some other adjective tech who made an error when servicing the car. Let's not blame the car before we know it's the car.

MBs have gotten some flak for recent problems, some deserved and some just part of related backlashing. The more "widespread" issues were electrical in nature; mechanical not as much. I would contact MB again to have them recheck. Yes, it is a pain but what can you do? :

I am not saying this happened here but I've seen shops do fluid/oil changes, let things get a bit messy, and do not clean up under the car. Once the car gets home, the "mess" starts to slowly drip over time onto the floor.
1+
My GS is leaking Oil but its not Lexus's fault the place where they changed my oil did not use a washer(spelling?) and now its leaking oil, Went out got a washer and a new bolt problem fixed. Who's fault was it Lexus or my idiot mechanic?
Old 01-04-09, 05:12 PM
cjf_moraga
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give us a break... one minor isolated incident does not mean the S-Class is an unreliable car or that MB does not know how to build one. Even Consumer Reports now (2009) lists the S-Class a recommended buy in recognition of improved reliability - and that from a wider statistical sampling than CL.

A stated this could have just as much been the fault of a mechanic.
Old 01-04-09, 07:43 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Truthfully I am more worried about what is on that R.O. than I am the oil leak
Old 01-04-09, 07:59 PM
theanimala
Lead Lap

I think most 'educated' car people who buy a German car expect some sort of issue / glitch, even though they are paying much more then a comparable Japanese car. I did this with my A8L, as the LS430 just did not offer the features and the drive that I got from the Audi. That being said, I would never own a first model year German car. I wanted until at least a second half of the second year run on my Audi before buying. I did not have this fear when I bought my GS, which was one of the first GS400's in 1998, which I sold just 8 months ago after years of almost trouble free service.
Old 01-04-09, 08:18 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

So what? My Honda Accord leaks oil too, at 40,000 miles. Big deal, doesn't mean the car is substandard, and doesn't mean every one is like that. The Mercedes S-Class is still the unquestionable benchmark luxury sedan. Is the Lexus LS immune from oil leaks? Somehow I imagine there is more than one person out there with some oil underneath their Lexus. One incident means nothing, at all.
Old 01-04-09, 09:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

No way???!! Are you serious. I would totally epect that kind of issue. The benzes are nightmares. Cost doesnt mean anything. Its just a problematic car. I read a survey in CAR magazine a few years back that showed mercededs ranked 42 out 44 in reliability out of all of the cars that are sold in germany
Old 01-04-09, 09:03 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

that was a few years ago.....and in Europe they sell WAAAAAY more variations of the S-Class than they sell here in the US.
Old 01-04-09, 09:04 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
So what? My Honda Accord leaks oil too, at 40,000 miles. Big deal, doesn't mean the car is substandard, and doesn't mean every one is like that. The Mercedes S-Class is still the unquestionable benchmark luxury sedan. Is the Lexus LS immune from oil leaks? Somehow I imagine there is more than one person out there with some oil underneath their Lexus. One incident means nothing, at all.
The reason peole are responding the way they are is because we know these types of problems have been circulating for the better part of a decade. Nothing surprising. If this stuff didnt happen do you think Lexus would be where it is today?????
Old 01-04-09, 09:30 PM
cjf_moraga
Rookie

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
No way???!! Are you serious. I would totally epect that kind of issue. The benzes are nightmares. Cost doesnt mean anything. Its just a problematic car. I read a survey in CAR magazine a few years back that showed mercededs ranked 42 out 44 in reliability out of all of the cars that are sold in germany
How about using more up to date evidence. Yes MB went through a sticky quality patch but from current data (both statistical and anecdotal) that appears over. (ie: 2009 Consumer Reports for one as earlier quoted) Saying all Benz's are nightmares and problematic is pure hyperbole.

I have had exactly the same cars as the OP. An E55 and currently an S-Class and have had zero significant mechanical/quality problems with either - none, nada, zilch. Large numbers of owners have trouble free ownership experiences.
Old 01-04-09, 09:33 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The reason peole are responding the way they are is because we know these types of problems have been circulating for the better part of a decade. Nothing surprising. If this stuff didnt happen do you think Lexus would be where it is today?????
You mean where would Lexus be without their biggest advantage, high reliability? Absolutely nowhere.

Last edited by FKL; 01-04-09 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-04-09, 09:38 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Its funny, but I must be blessed with the luck of the draw. My 7series was problem free, and I didn't baby it at all. Our R-Class has been trouble free as well, and its our family hauler, so no pampering for it either!

I had the 7 for the 2 years, and this is year 2 for the R-class too. Maybe 3 years is the magic problem mark?
Old 01-04-09, 10:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

easy to take potshots, but perhaps we need more info before that?

maybe the car was serviced incorrectly??

my GS was 'serviced' and leaked oil spectacularly after that - turned out they destroyed/stripped the drain plug, and then had to replace it and the oil pan.

not a car problem - a SERVICE problem.
Old 01-04-09, 10:40 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

haha it is not the big of deal... i can careless if the motor blew up.. but the fact that the car has been leaking oil and i just pick it up last week from the dealer and it is still leaking oil does kinda bother me I do have few s-class from the past.. 2 s320, s430 and s500.. they are great car at its time but they all got issues.. newer s550 is no execption
Old 01-04-09, 10:49 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
easy to take potshots, but perhaps we need more info before that?

maybe the car was serviced incorrectly??

my GS was 'serviced' and leaked oil spectacularly after that - turned out they destroyed/stripped the drain plug, and then had to replace it and the oil pan.

not a car problem - a SERVICE problem.
this is not a BS post.. the car does leak oil..don't knwo where it came from and it is not my job to find out... this is the only car that park at that spot for the past 3 year and this is the only car that ever leak oil in my garage.. the car does have few more issues than oil leak.. but there are only few months left in the lease i guess it is no longer a problem.. next owner is going to have fun with it

Quick Reply: 2007 Mecedes S550