Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 Mecedes S550

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-09, 11:11 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow some of you here are pathetic! His S class has a leak so that means every MB is a pos. But if he had a LS460/600 and had a leak it would be a isolated incident. I am on my 4th ml. My w163 1998 straight from the factory had no problems crashed it with 60k on the clock. My face lifted w163 2002 had issues with coolant leaking and a bad rain sensor. My w164 ML350(30k) no problems but got in a fender bender fixed it sent it to Poland. My w164 2006 ML500 trouble free is still roling with 50k miles only in the dealership for service. My 300e 1989 had no problems my 1994 c280 had no problems as well. With that history under my skin does that make MB 100% full proof, NO!! Sure theyre are issues but they are blown out of proportion by car magazine's and people like you.
Old 01-04-09, 11:45 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heh, to be honest, there are plenty on both sides of this issue. There are die hard lexus fanatics as well as die hard german fans in this forum. You'll get both biased and neutral posts and you won't know which is which for 50% of the time.

Sometimes bad luck happens. Possibly good luck is around until only next week. Nobody ever knows.

He had an oil leak. It sucks. He's not asking for a "waaaaahbulance". He's just stating what happened and compared it to his LS. Hell, i defend the **** outta my CLS and previous MB's i've owned because i've never really had any problems. Maybe i'm just lucky until my next benz, maybe that's how they really are. Nobody knows.
Old 01-05-09, 12:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by drunk_dave
Wow some of you here are pathetic! His S class has a leak so that means every MB is a pos. But if he had a LS460/600 and had a leak it would be a isolated incident. I am on my 4th ml. My w163 1998 straight from the factory had no problems crashed it with 60k on the clock. My face lifted w163 2002 had issues with coolant leaking and a bad rain sensor. My w164 ML350(30k) no problems but got in a fender bender fixed it sent it to Poland. My w164 2006 ML500 trouble free is still roling with 50k miles only in the dealership for service. My 300e 1989 had no problems my 1994 c280 had no problems as well. With that history under my skin does that make MB 100% full proof, NO!! Sure theyre are issues but they are blown out of proportion by car magazine's and people like you.
Your opinions noted, and I'm glad that your experience with M-B products has been relatively good. Unfortunately, that of many other people hasn't.....and it is not "blowing it out of proportion" for Consumer Reports or J.D. Power to come up with sub-standard reliability ratings based on hundereds of thousands of questionnaires.

Now, as far as the leak is concerned (the thread subject), that is not necessarily a major repair. It may or may not be. Depending on the design of the engine block and how the block is installed, sometimes even a main engine seal can be replaced without pulling the engine itself......and adding to labor costs.
Old 01-05-09, 12:43 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

He said he just had it serviced, maybe the oil filter or the drain cap isnt on tight engough?
Old 01-05-09, 01:01 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

even if that was the case , he still speaks the truth about mercedes and their amazingly bad reliablity ratings. Mind blowing considering the price
Old 01-05-09, 02:02 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

You totally miss the fact that with higher price inherently comes more advanced and sophisticated design/engineering/technology. I didn't realize there was some sort of correlation between rising pricetags and rising reliability ratings. If anything, it seems to be the direct oposite.

Mercedes-Benz, along with their German peers, are constatly at the razors edge of cutting edge design elements, powertrain technologies, convenience and saftey features - And you expect all of this advancing innovation to come with reliability that is akin to a family sedan from Japan? What groundbreaking ideals does that class of cars reguarly offer?
Old 01-05-09, 06:17 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Most people know Japanese car companies rarely offer anything new. Copycats
Back on topic. I understand your frustrated but being that your car was just service. It definitely sound like the technician didn't do a good job on your vehicle. I have own a Mercedes for the past six years and I must say there reliability has improve.

Yes, my Acura and Lexus crank up every morning with no problem. However, they just don't bring a smile to my face like my Benz.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 01-05-09 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Change potentially offensive word
Old 01-05-09, 06:21 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by drunk_dave
+1.. This can happen with any vehicle. There are Lexus vehicles with tranny problems, cat problems, you name it.. Bottom line is this is a machine.... & no machine is perfect.. OP did you post this on http://www.benzworld.org/ ? Possible pwr steering hose clamp loose. The red fluid appears to be pwr steering fluid as Merceds does require Dexron tranny fluid for the pwr steering unit. If you find more leaks after the dealer refill, then have have them do a thorough inspection with you present.. Accept nothing less.. Good luck.
Old 01-05-09, 08:41 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Your opinions noted, and I'm glad that your experience with M-B products has been relatively good. Unfortunately, that of many other people hasn't.....and it is not "blowing it out of proportion" for Consumer Reports or J.D. Power to come up with sub-standard reliability ratings based on hundereds of thousands of questionnaires.

Now, as far as the leak is concerned (the thread subject), that is not necessarily a major repair. It may or may not be. Depending on the design of the engine block and how the block is installed, sometimes even a main engine seal can be replaced without pulling the engine itself......and adding to labor costs.
Where is subbie on that list, and if you havent its not doing so swell. Mercedes is one step from entering the above market average range. Mercedes is teaming up with J.D boys to improove quality to #1. I got a email a few months a go.

Dear David XXXXXXXX :

Mercedes-Benz has partnered with J.D. Power and Associates to find out how Mercedes-Benz can make servicing its vehicles the easiest and most enjoyable in the industry. To do this we are seeking the assistance of a small number of Mercedes-Benz owners to help us evaluate their next dealership service visit. Our records show that you last serviced your 2006 Mercedes-Benz in March, 2008, and might be due for another service visit soon. We recognize that your time is valuable and we will pay you $100 for your participation.

Please click on the link below for more details.

http://survey.confirmit.com/wix/p718...545&s=CLHHRJNT

Please be assured that this is an official J.D. Power and Associates research study sponsored by Mercedes-Benz. No one will attempt to sell you anything as a result of your participation. Thank you in advance for supporting this important study.

Sincerely,

Alan J. McLaren
Vice President, Customer Services
Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC
One Mercedes Drive
P.O. Box 350
Montvale, N.J. 07645-0350
Old 01-05-09, 08:51 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rogers2
Yes, my Acura and Lexus crank up every morning with no problem. However, they just don't bring a smile to my face like my Benz.
None of the MBs that I've driven before (SL63, E63, C63, GL550 and C300 4Matic) except the SL brings a smile to my face like the IS F I test drove.

But that's just me...
Old 01-05-09, 10:28 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Well I owned a MB CL & now a CLS so I guess you can see how I have a smile on my face. The only car I have literally stared at in my garage was my NSX.
A IS F is nice but in the DC Metro area people really don't pay much attention to a IS seriously. Maybe because people here are so in love with the BMW 3 series. However, I can see how the car can bring a smile to your face. Just not my M.O.
I really don't know the author situation but it simply seem like the technician didn't service his car correctly. He should make MB pick up his car and leave him a loaner. However, for people to say Mercedes reliability hasn't improved is simply untrue.

Last edited by rogers2; 01-05-09 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-05-09, 12:01 PM
LexFather

Please let us all watch our tone. This thread is going its usual way
1. Someone says their Benz (German) car has issues
2. People post their thoughts, then the bad posts come in
-"my German car has never had any issues (only on the internet) and my Lexus was the worst car I owned
-"my Lexus never had an issue and my German car was a total POS (more likely but still exagerrated many times)
3. Personal bickering
4. Lexus is an appliance b/c it works and Germans have soul (b/c breaking down= soul I guess)

Again, I didn't raise an eyebrow at the OP's post and nor should anyone else. It should be expected. One year of FINALLY having above average cars (very commendable I will add) does not erase a decade and more of bad ones. We need to see long term reports on the new batch of cars. The S550 is STILL a superb vehicle.

Both brands are stellar and clearly are bought for some of the same attributes and some very differnet ones. Both brands have issues but its CLEAR Lexus by far has the least issues of any carmaker since its inception and for 2 decades.

No one can match that, period, end of discussion.

Old 01-05-09, 12:19 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Wow, I guess I missed all that crap by not reading it. Maybe there is something useful buried in this thread, but I can't be bothered.
Old 01-05-09, 03:55 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Please let us all watch our tone. This thread is going its usual way
1. Someone says their Benz (German) car has issues
2. People post their thoughts, then the bad posts come in
-"my German car has never had any issues (only on the internet) and my Lexus was the worst car I owned
-"my Lexus never had an issue and my German car was a total POS (more likely but still exagerrated many times)
3. Personal bickering
4. Lexus is an appliance b/c it works and Germans have soul (b/c breaking down= soul I guess)

Again, I didn't raise an eyebrow at the OP's post and nor should anyone else. It should be expected. One year of FINALLY having above average cars (very commendable I will add) does not erase a decade and more of bad ones. We need to see long term reports on the new batch of cars. The S550 is STILL a superb vehicle.

Both brands are stellar and clearly are bought for some of the same attributes and some very differnet ones. Both brands have issues but its CLEAR Lexus by far has the least issues of any carmaker since its inception and for 2 decades.

No one can match that, period, end of discussion.
+1 we've seen this back and forth in almost every thread concerning german cars lol
Old 01-05-09, 08:00 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

well at least it looks good and expensive while leaking oil id gladly drive it and deal with leaking oil, i think it may be time to get a maserati quattroporte, much more reliable haha. But seriously, sorry to hear bout the car

Quick Reply: 2007 Mecedes S550