Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2009 Corvette C6 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-09, 06:03 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Good read, thanks for the review This is my favorite corvette yet
Old 01-06-09, 06:12 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice review Marshall. I am suprised you find the steering not up to par.. From my many opportunities behind the wheel of Vettes, it drives like a German.. Getting out of these cars is a problem for me due to the awkward location of the door release..
Old 01-06-09, 07:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Nice review Marshall.
Thanks.

I am suprised you find the steering not up to par.. From my many opportunities behind the wheel of Vettes, it drives like a German.. Getting out of these cars is a problem for me due to the awkward location of the door release..

I didn't say it was not "up to par". It certainly is better than past Corvette power-steering systems. It's just that, while good, it's not quite at BMW standards for tactile feel and response...and you, of course, as a longtime BMW owner, I'm sure, know what those standards are. While the Corvette steering system is nice, you're just not going to fling it around corners quite as agily as a Miata or S2000, most likely because of the big heavy engine up front.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-06-09 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-06-09, 07:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Good read, thanks for the review This is my favorite corvette yet
Sure. Anytime.

By "favorite", do you mean the C6 in general, or the base-coupe model? The lower-line models, of course, aren't going to storm around a track quite like the ZR-1, but then again, they are a far better bargain, especially for street use. You won't have to cough up six-figures and get in a waiting line to get one.
Old 01-06-09, 07:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GlobeCLK
Thanks a lot for this review.
Anyways, good review as usual.
Sure. Anytime. I know I disappointed some people who wanted the Z06 and ZR-1, but getting one of them long enough was too much of a hassle.

I agree that the internet and the press have both placed too much emphasis on the Z06 and ZR1. The base C6 coupe is something that I would seriously consider buying, as I would pick a GTR over a Z06, and probably not going to spend 6 digits on a domestic (not to mention not having 6 digits for a car budget right now).
Yes, the base car, in fact, does need a little more consideration from the press. It's one thing to sit back and read about a world-class track stormer like the ZR-1....quite another matter to actually go out and GET one. The base cars are waiting, willing......and, if my experience yesterday means anything, ready to go at a nice discount. Keep also, in mind, that many of the base-model cars have more options than mine did, some with expensive packages. You can run a base-model up to 60K or more with options....my bare-bones car was 48K.

The GT-R, of course, as you note, is another world-class track stormer, but you will, in general, run into more or less the same problems and expenses getting one as a ZR-1.

also, Subies rock. They just need to fire everyone in the design department now and hire sober people.
They are one of the few auto companies, if not the ony one whose sales have actualy been UP recently in the American market.

I agree with you on one thing, though. I'd love to get my hands on the people who cheapened out and decontented the new Forester and, to a lesser extent, Impreza. They yanked far more out of those vehicles than they put back in with new features....the new ones don't even have a temperature gauge any more for the coolant. The list of decontenting on the new Forester, in addition to that, is endless. One of the worst is that you now have to buy the cargo area pull-cover as an dealer-accessory...it is no longer standard.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-06-09 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-06-09, 08:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
EXCELLENT as always Mike and you peaked some interest here. One of the guys I play b-ball with is a long-time service manager for GM and says the Vette (at least here) is one of their most relaible cars in regards to service. I was considering a Vette as one of the true sports cars as my next car. With the interior improvements and especially reduced prices, could we now perhaps compare this value-wise with the new 370Z (my other "true sports car" prospect)? I know you haven't reviewed it, but seems to be fair. The upcoming Camaro SS and revised Shelby GT500 are as yet not in this equation.

Great review, you keep giving me/us more cars to consider
Thanks, rdgdawg. I plan to review a new Camaro (preferably an SS) whenever they become available....I've already done the Mustang GT and Dodge Challenger R/T, though the Mustang is one of my older, shorter ones without images.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-gt-coupe.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...enger-r-t.html

Shelbys? Probably not....they're too hard to get, though I won't turn down the opportunity if I get one.

I'm surprised to hear the service manager say that the 'Vettes at his dealership are some of the most reliable cars he sees. While it is, granted, a far better car than its predecessors, according to a number of sources, especially Consumer Reports, Corvettes are still somewhat troublesome. Buicks, in general, tend to be the most reliable GM-badged cars, and, of course, the Toyota-sourced Pontiac Vibe.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-06-09 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-06-09, 08:15 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sure. Anytime.

By "favorite", do you mean the C6 in general, or the base-coupe model? The lower-line models, of course, aren't going to storm around a track quite like the ZR-1, but then again, they are a far better bargain, especially for street use. You won't have to cough up six-figures and get in a waiting line to get one.
I mean the C6 in general, but I don't really think the Z06 is overpriced, but the ZR1 is probably too much of a price premium over the Z06 for what you gain.
Old 01-06-09, 08:27 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

....I'm surprised to hear the service manager say that the 'Vettes at his dealership are some of the most reliable cars he sees. While it is, granted, a far better car than its predecessors, according to a number of sources, especially Consumer Reports, Corvettes are still somewhat troublesome. Buicks, in general, tend to be the most reliable GM-badged cars, and, of course, the Toyota-sourced Pontiac Vibe.
Good point Mike... could it be Corvette owners here only drive 8 months of the year? And put low miles on???

I want a beast I can daily drive, then destroy through the twisties and track, and then drive happily home with nary an issue... hence the IS-F has risen to the top.

Or am I dreaming such a car exists...
Russ
Old 01-06-09, 08:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Good point Mike... could it be Corvette owners here only drive 8 months of the year? And put low miles on???
Well, Corvettes don't get driven much in the winter, especially in a Snow-Belt state like WI, but that doesn't necessarily help their reliability...moving parts and seals can deteriorate from lack of use and lubrication, and, of course, batteries die and fuel systems can get contaminated.

I want a beast I can daily drive, then destroy through the twisties and track, and then drive happily home with nary an issue... hence the IS-F has risen to the top.

Or am I dreaming such a car exists...
Russ
It exists.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...exus-is-f.html

If you test-drive an IS-F though, check it carefully (with the proper tire pressure) on rough roads (you'll probably find some potholes and frost-heaves on the typical WI road). The IS-F is a nice sport sedan, but it has a harsh rear suspension that tends to toss the car up and down like a porpoise over bumps and heaves. You may find (as I did) that the suspension on this car is just too much, unless you keep it on smooth roads..
Old 01-06-09, 08:47 AM
LexFather

Mike, ever thought of getting a recent Corvette?

Old 01-06-09, 08:55 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It exists.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...exus-is-f.html

If you test-drive an IS-F though, check it carefully (with the proper tire pressure) on rough roads (you'll probably find some potholes and frost-heaves on the typical WI road). The IS-F is a nice sport sedan, but it has a harsh rear suspension that tends to toss the car up and down like a porpoise over bumps and heaves. You may find (as I did) that the suspension on this car is just too much, unless you keep it on smooth roads..
Yep (I've got that link bookmarked ) and I've been checking with Chicago and other cold climate/bad road IS-F drivers... not as bad as they thought it would be going in on road/suspension issues... drove one myself on BAD Milwaukee roads, will drive again on a COLD day soon... check my latest new thread and thx again Mike

Last edited by rdgdawg; 01-06-09 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-06-09, 09:04 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great review mmarshall.
I visited the dealership to check out the vette and I also was impressed by the interior improvement over the older models.
Visually, it doesn't look as good as it feels.
My biggest complaint was legroom. Wasn't enough for me.
In person, vettes are bigger than they look in pics or at a distance. All that girth has to have a negative effect somewhere.
Still, it's a car I would love to have.

Thanks again.
Old 01-06-09, 09:08 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

mmarshall - Thanks for another great review

Something about the Corvette that whenever I see one I always smile, especially if its the newer C6 ones

I'm glad you picked a base model as that would be the one I'd be most interested in if I were to ever purchase one. I was glad read that the quality of the interior and clutch are up a notch. I know I have always liked the looks on the outside, but have been left cold once sitting in one.

Looking forward to the new Camaro tho, I think if it has the right interior (quality) and driving dynamics Chevy could have a real 1 - 2 punch on their hands!
Old 01-06-09, 10:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mike, ever thought of getting a recent Corvette?
If so, there are some other classic American muscle cars I'd consider first. I'm also a strong believer in AWD and Japanese-car reliability. My main problem is that my small condo townhouse, without a garage, is not conducive to multiple-car ownership, but a larger house would probably be just too much for me, for many reasons.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-06-09 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-06-09, 11:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ice350
Great review mmarshall.
Thanks.

I visited the dealership to check out the vette and I also was impressed by the interior improvement over the older models.
Visually, it doesn't look as good as it feels.
Yes...that was one of the points I was making to those who pointed out (correctly) how lousy the interior/dash images I posted looked. That, plus the fact that most of the Google images for this car s**k.......most of the good shots are of the ZR-1.

But you are correct. What you get, with the new interior, is generally better than what you see.

My biggest complaint was legroom. Wasn't enough for me.

Did you have the power-operated, bottom seat cushion back all the way? One of the things I mentioned in the review was the awkward manual seat-back rake adjuster that didn't allow as much bolt-uprightness to the seatback as I like.....in a 2-seater car like a 'Vette, with the cargo area right behind the seats, the upper seat-back angle position, if too low, can also restrict how far back the bottom cushion will go, restricting legroom. That's one of the things I don't like about classic two-seaters....they can be hard to get the seats right.

In person, vettes are bigger than they look in pics or at a distance. All that girth has to have a negative effect somewhere.
Well, several things. They have BIG engine blocks up front; they are designed for burly Americans, they have wide tires for dry-weather cornering, and have fiberglass bodies, which have to meet the same crashworthiness standards metal-bodied cars do, but have different properties in an accident. All of this necessitates, to an extent, a somewhat larger-than-normal sports car.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-06-09 at 11:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Review: 2009 Corvette C6 Coupe