Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Talk to me about the Audi S5

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-09, 10:47 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
S5 is just so beautiful, in black.
a kia is also nicer in black.

i don't think there's any car that wouldn't look better in black, because it hides all the flaws in the body work.
Old 01-07-09, 10:50 AM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by suislide
The S5 is so boring looking
Originally Posted by ffpower
I have to agree with you, the A/S5 is sure handsome but doesn't excite me one bit.

What do you guys consider a beautiful car? I'm curious to know.
Old 01-07-09, 10:53 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
The Lexus IS250 convertible.. It is sex on wheels!!

More like sex with Sha na na

lol.. I kid I kid..
Old 01-07-09, 10:56 AM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
here's what i think, let's just say i have a bit insight.

the s5 is a very nice car, very well executed by audi. i drove the a5 and i could only imagine about the s5. the car looks great and performance is decent. quality imho is better than previous audi's and on par with bmw i say. however, the car is not cheap, a reasonably loaded one will run you over 60k for sure, around 64k i think

and that's what put this car at an "weird" place. at its price range, we have the m3 coupe, which perform far better than the s5. for the same performance, the 335 is much cheaper. i am not discounting the s5, it has its status imho, but dollar for dollar it makes people think, including me

on top of that, audi usually doesn't have as good lease / finance / deals as bmw or some other companies. so depending on how you want to own the vehicle, the overall payment might not be as attractive

so in short, i think the s5 is a great car, very nice. i have no problem owning one and would love to. but for the price, it does make me think twice about getting one

First, the S5 is a 335 competitor and Audi knows this. My S5 was fully loaded when I bought and the MSRP was 58k. Now they have a few more options available like the Drive select which brings the price to just over 61k. A fully loaded M3 costs 10 grand more and similar with the C63.
Old 01-07-09, 10:57 AM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Well, it drive like a boat compared to the 335 coupe.. I had an opportunity to test this vehicl out at Biener Audi to see what all the the hype was about.. You will find out for yourself..

The difference in handling isn't THAT crazy. No it doesn't drive like a MOTORBOAT compared to a 335. 335 definitely drives much better, but S5 is not THAT bad.
Old 01-07-09, 11:04 AM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

To the OP, I own a S5 currently and I just have two things I'm not satisfied with the S5. First the power. I don't know why Audi didn't raise the hp more from the 2002-2008 S4 then just the 20 or so they did. IMO the S5 should have had 375-380 hp. Its not slow by any means but just doesn't have that extra punch. I would guess that its slightly slower than a e46 M3 which is sad because that car although a magnificent car started as a 2001 model. Second, is the handling. It's not as bad, say as a IS 350, but it doesn't have the sporty feel like a BMW and I do get bored driving it sometimes. I do think its one of the best looking cars, period. And the best looking car below the 60-70k. This is the first car that I have owned where I am not sick of the looks of the car after over 1 year of ownership. In fact, the car looks better to me now then it did before. I was considering trading to a M3, IS-F or C63, even if the economy weren't so bad I would have had to rethink it because IMO the S5 is way sexier than those cars. Thats why I would rather wait for an RS5. But if you are expecting even anything close to M3 level performance, you'll be disappointed.
Old 01-07-09, 11:51 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After that should I also explain why I think my girlfriend is hotter than yours?

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, simple as that.
Old 01-07-09, 12:24 PM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FKL
2.0t A4 outperforms all of it's competitors.

Yeah, enough said alright.
You're right, the B8 2.0t A4 is the exception even though it's advantage is negligible. But I think it's safe to say that anyone looking at the 2.0t, IS250AWD, 328xi etc... don't have "performance" very high on their list of priorities.

60k for a 335xi competitor is STEEEP price to pay, if performance is in fact what you're looking for, even if it's loaded. I'm loooking at the lexus website right now and it's showing me a msrp of 62k for a loaded F.
Old 01-07-09, 12:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

First, the S5 is a 335 competitor and Audi knows this. My S5 was fully loaded when I bought and the MSRP was 58k. Now they have a few more options available like the Drive select which brings the price to just over 61k. A fully loaded M3 costs 10 grand more and similar with the C63.
yes i agree the s5 is 335 competitor, but i put in m3 for comparison. the s5 i saw was pretty fully loaded at 64k. m3 coupe, 6 speed, fully loaded is around 70k, so 6k difference, i think it's valid to put them together for comparison, price-wise

and i totally agree about what you say about the performance of the s5, you put it well. i can't wait to see what the rs5 can do too
Old 01-07-09, 08:27 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
yes i agree the s5 is 335 competitor, but i put in m3 for comparison. the s5 i saw was pretty fully loaded at 64k. m3 coupe, 6 speed, fully loaded is around 70k, so 6k difference, i think it's valid to put them together for comparison, price-wise

and i totally agree about what you say about the performance of the s5, you put it well. i can't wait to see what the rs5 can do too

that S5 was probably marked up. check for yourself. A 61k S5 is fully loaded. Nothing more to add other than the extra money you give to the stealerships.
Old 01-07-09, 08:48 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think its a beautiful car with an amazing interior. I think its a definite BMW chaser. As much as I love the Audis there is no way in hell I would buy one. I remeber in college riding with a friend in his 2 year old audi. We came to a light and there was a guy in the exact same audi. The guy rolled down his window and they both sat there talking for almost a minute about all of the electrical issues there cars have. I will pass and admire from a distance
Old 01-07-09, 09:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

that S5 was probably marked up. check for yourself. A 61k S5 is fully loaded. Nothing more to add other than the extra money you give to the stealerships.
nop, 64k was the sticker, msp, i didn't care about markup. in any case, it's mood point to argue over the price, i have seen 3-4 s5 here in socal and they are all over 61k msrp for sure. i just built one on audiusa.com and chose everything, and it's 64k (tiptronic, metallic color, all options).
Old 01-07-09, 10:15 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

wait for the RS5

I had an S4, new body, and beat the **** out of it and it was never in except for my free maintenance I also lease the car for 50% less then what I could have leased a new GS at the time I would get this car all day long. I plan on looking into this or the RS4 for my toy.
Old 01-07-09, 10:57 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dunnojack
a kia is also nicer in black.

i don't think there's any car that wouldn't look better in black, because it hides all the flaws in the body work.
ummm? Black usually shows every imperfection.