Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda reportedly kills S2000 replacement, V8 program, RWD Acuras

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-09, 04:13 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

apparently they are fine at playing backup to lexus, audi, mercedes benz and bmw. They will never be anything more.
Old 01-06-09, 04:28 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

No sports cars, no V8s, one turbo, no 6ATs, no direct injection, no powerful hybrids, no diesels, shall I go on? Acura is becoming the Ford of Japan. And Im not talking the Ford today, I'm talking about the one from the 80s and 90s. Craaappppyyyyy.
Old 01-06-09, 05:17 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's more like Honda is becoming Toyota, the so-called ultimate appliance manufacture. That is truly sad because just 10 years ago they were still the poor man's BMW...
Old 01-06-09, 05:23 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Seriously I really don't care. Honda/Acura has never made one luxury car that satisfy me and there are enough luxury carmakers out there making far better luxury cars than Acura. Honda just stick with what they are good at, making small compact easy to afford yet fun to drive car like Civic and Fit. Their engine lineup should NEVER exceed 3.0L in my opinion. I am not being sarcastic, I think they should eliminate Acura and just concentrate on Fit, Civic, Accord, CR-V, Odyssey, Stream, etc. But axing S2000 successor is indeed a sad news.
Old 01-06-09, 05:24 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Default Let's take a walk down the memory hall - Acura Integra/RSX

Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=116309#2
Old 01-06-09, 05:26 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Default Let's take a walk down the memory hall - Acura Legend/RL

Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=116299#2
Old 01-06-09, 05:29 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Default Let's take a walk down the memory hall - Honda Accord

Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...icleId=46009#4
Old 01-06-09, 05:31 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Default Let's take a walk down the memory hall - Honda Prelude

Source: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=115319#2
Old 01-06-09, 05:38 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think its really upsetting. The s2k is one of japans purest street machines. 2 seater roadster that red lines in the stratoshphere and has huge potential for tuning. I still think if acura is going to stay around then they should step up and procuce a RWD TL and TSX. That would really give them an equal standing to the likes of infiniti , BMW, and Lexus. You have to produce a RWD sports sedan to be taken seriously in this game. again, its a shame
Old 01-06-09, 08:00 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Seriously I really don't care. Honda/Acura has never made one luxury car that satisfy me and there are enough luxury carmakers out there making far better luxury cars than Acura. Honda just stick with what they are good at, making small compact easy to afford yet fun to drive car like Civic and Fit. Their engine lineup should NEVER exceed 3.0L in my opinion. I am not being sarcastic, I think they should eliminate Acura and just concentrate on Fit, Civic, Accord, CR-V, Odyssey, Stream, etc. But axing S2000 successor is indeed a sad news.
I agree here for the most part. While their big 3.5 V-6 is pretty average, people do buy them up in the SUVs etc. Acura should be eliminated, the new Accord is just as big, better looking and offers pretty much everything but AWD and a couple other features. It makes the entire Acura lineup totally redundant. We can't even say Acura's look good anymore.

Whats funny is the luxury market at the GS/5/E level and higher is VERY profitable. The more expensive the car, the higher the profit. So they blame the economy but they could be even more profitable if they put the effort into it.

Old 01-06-09, 08:03 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Seems like Honda/Acura have gotten a pretty fair share of bashing around here. I for one believe it is because there are quite a few of us who just have, or had, high expectations for Honda/Acura and our really venting disappointment from a co we expected more from. And our bashing aside, the faults we find here are not enough for many of their buyers who are still pretty loyal.

As for cancelling models, especially in the performance/niche end, I sure wouldn't get on their case other than, once again, from the standpoint that we expected, or hoped for, more from them. I have a feeling that there is going to be a pretty long list of performance and/or niche models that get axed or redesigned/gutted if the economy putters along like it has.
Old 01-06-09, 08:32 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RON430
Seems like Honda/Acura have gotten a pretty fair share of bashing around here. I for one believe it is because there are quite a few of us who just have, or had, high expectations for Honda/Acura and our really venting disappointment from a co we expected more from. And our bashing aside, the faults we find here are not enough for many of their buyers who are still pretty loyal.

As for cancelling models, especially in the performance/niche end, I sure wouldn't get on their case other than, once again, from the standpoint that we expected, or hoped for, more from them. I have a feeling that there is going to be a pretty long list of performance and/or niche models that get axed or redesigned/gutted if the economy putters along like it has.
Ron you might have missed my post where I stated its NOT the economy, its the company. They axed one by one every truly sporty offering they have. They wait over 20 years to state V-8s and RWD and Tier 1 is coming and now blame the economy? What about the past 20+ years?
Look what they have killed BEFORE the economy. It doesn't matter good economy or bad economy Honda much rather prefer making (and to their credit selling) disgusting looking vehicles that are HUGE, with average power and efficiency.

Why is the Insight so far behind? Why is Acura NOT a leading fuel efficient brand if they don't offer V-8s. Where are their hybrids?

Outside of cute Navigation and SH-AWD owners dont use, what did they truly invest in Acura? Nothing.

Old 01-06-09, 09:33 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

After thinking about the idea of killing Acura I realized that might not be a bad idea at all.

Here's what I am proposing: Honda should kill Acura and pull a "Hyundai Genesis"

How about creating another model above the Accord and give it luxury-car like interior just like what Hyundai did with Genesis. They can even create a flagship sedan like what Hyundai is about to do with the Equus.

What do you guys think?
Old 01-06-09, 09:56 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ffpower
After thinking about the idea of killing Acura I realized that might not be a bad idea at all.

Here's what I am proposing: Honda should kill Acura and pull a "Hyundai Genesis"

How about creating another model above the Accord and give it luxury-car like interior just like what Hyundai did with Genesis. They can even create a flagship sedan like what Hyundai is about to do with the Equus.

What do you guys think?

Technically they have that. The Acura RL is just a Honda Legend with badges and an uglier grill.

The Legend name still holds more weight than Acura. Going with your idea, if they simply sold the car as Honda Legend or even Acura LEgend, it probably would sell better.

Then again, there is marginal reason to buy a TL or RL over an Accord. The Accord currently is just as big, better looking with nearly as many features. Its only missing AWD and maybe some nicer interior touches. They killed their own TL/RL with their fantastic Accord.

I mean the car has sold like crap since 1996. "You gotta know when to fold, know when to walk away"

Old 01-06-09, 10:12 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Technically they have that. The Acura RL is just a Honda Legend with badges and an uglier grill.
Two options (edit: assuming the Acura brand has been killed):

- Kill the TL and offer SH-AWD on Accords
- The RL becomes Legend as Honda's flagship

or

- Make the TL larger, SH-AWD only and offer it above the Accord as Vigor
- The RL becomes Legend as Honda's flagship

The MDX can be merged into Honda's lineup as well.

Last edited by ffpowerLN; 01-06-09 at 10:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Honda reportedly kills S2000 replacement, V8 program, RWD Acuras