Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda reportedly kills S2000 replacement, V8 program, RWD Acuras

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-09, 08:57 AM
LexFather

Well I called a bud of mine who is works for a local Acura dealer. Seems this is true, there was a big meeting a few weeks ago by basically Acura/HOnda GMs/Dealer owners/executives basically saying forget Tier 1 its not going to happen. Dealers walked out pissed and actually distraught b/c they were told just last year this time Honda was finally going to truly invest in Acura and make them a true luxury brand. Some of the more vocal people went to town about the new styling and grills. Of course the economy was blamed and these same vocal people said we've been hearing promises for years.

Old 01-07-09, 09:20 AM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For them to keep reporting this and that then change this and that, i don't know if it's even from Honda. If it is, do they really have that a big of a problem in making decisions?
Old 01-07-09, 09:36 AM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

i sure will miss the s2k
Old 01-07-09, 10:53 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Ron you might have missed my post where I stated its NOT the economy, its the company. They axed one by one every truly sporty offering they have. They wait over 20 years to state V-8s and RWD and Tier 1 is coming and now blame the economy? What about the past 20+ years?
Look what they have killed BEFORE the economy. It doesn't matter good economy or bad economy Honda much rather prefer making (and to their credit selling) disgusting looking vehicles that are HUGE, with average power and efficiency.

Why is the Insight so far behind? Why is Acura NOT a leading fuel efficient brand if they don't offer V-8s. Where are their hybrids?

Outside of cute Navigation and SH-AWD owners dont use, what did they truly invest in Acura? Nothing.
Didn't miss it and I know this will be misconstrued but I think that a lot of the opinions being voiced about Honda/Acura are based on the fact that we came to expect more and we have watched a lot of mistakes being made. Don't know if I would jump on the 20 year history of mistakes bandwagon, but I sure am not going to argue about the last five years or so.

My point about the economy is that I see no indication that any model by any mfr is going to increase their sales to any significant degree in this economy. Even if Honda/Acura or our buds in Detroit, get it absolutely right (which we probably both doubt) they aren't going to see much increase in sales until the economy in general picks up, and that is a ways off. After a year where people are put on pedestals in the automotive business if they only saw single digit declines in a models sales, the reality is its a tough environment out there. And that isn't going to work to Honda/Acuras benefit anytime soon.
Old 01-07-09, 10:54 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i agree with GSteg. you can blame economy, as do all other manufacturers, but that doesn't make honda/acura look any better. they still fail big time for what the company is about and what they need to do
Old 01-07-09, 01:05 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RON430
Don't know if I would jump on the 20 year history of mistakes bandwagon, but I sure am not going to argue about the last five years or so.
Last five years sounds about right since in my opinion I think Acura reached the high point with the debut of the last gen TSX and TL coupled with the success they've enjoyed with the MDX. Too bad that they didn't follow up with the RL and the pricing strategy totally killed a some-what capable car in the midsize luxury segment.
Old 01-07-09, 01:33 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ffpower
Last five years sounds about right since in my opinion I think Acura reached the high point with the debut of the last gen TSX and TL coupled with the success they've enjoyed with the MDX. Too bad that they didn't follow up with the RL and the pricing strategy totally killed a some-what capable car in the midsize luxury segment.
If I had a point to make, and I suspect that 1Sick agrees at least partly overall, it is that I have great respect for Honda/Acura, at least from times past. I really want them to make not only a competitor for the GS but the LS as well. And I would take it very seriously if they did it as I believe they are capable of doing. But with their more recent performance, I have little reason to believe that they would either make those vehicles or make them competitive products. And I still maintain, they won't be the only one tinkering with their product line if the economy does anything other than start to boom and zoom. And that's a pity. As a consumer, I like choice.
Old 01-07-09, 03:29 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Saw this on another site. Sucks to know that this model........could have been. Oh well.

Old 01-07-09, 03:46 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

well it's a smart move financially...as long as they keep making ASIMO I'm happy haha
Old 01-07-09, 03:54 PM
speed_Demo
Pole Position

Damn, that would've been good one to replace S2K. The design is great, but they probably can't decide on an engine for it.

From the pic, that could've compete against the Audi, Z4, Saturn, in term of small coupe convertible.

Clearly Honda has no ***** to gamble. Remember when they cancel Accord Hybrid? and Toyota continue Hybrid on Camry & made big bucks during peak time.

Inconsistent in decisions making at Honda/Acura will loose customer loyalty, and diminish brand name!
Old 01-07-09, 04:12 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

this is pretty pathetic...
Old 01-07-09, 04:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well, for you guys criticizing all of the "mistakes" Honda and Acura have made, check this out. AUTOMOBILE magazine just named Takeo Fukui, Honda' chief, their Man of the Year, for NOT following the crowd and sticking to design philosophies.

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...kui/index.html
Old 01-07-09, 04:17 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

the almost s2k looked pretty bad ***..

chit sucks!!
Old 01-07-09, 04:27 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, for you guys criticizing all of the "mistakes" Honda and Acura have made, check this out. AUTOMOBILE magazine just named Takeo Fukui, Honda' chief, their Man of the Year, for NOT following the crowd and sticking to design philosophies.

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...kui/index.html
Diesel engines are off the radar in Honda's home market of Japan, but Fukui and his team recognized their importance to Europe, leading Honda to develop an advanced 2.2-liter turbo-diesel four-cylinder for that market. Like so many Honda engines, it's been winning rave reviews and will come to the United States later this year in the Acura TSX.
Yeah right...

The Insight is expected to undercut the benchmark Toyota Prius by several thousand dollars while still achieving 40/45 mpg.
That's all good and dandy but the problem is that the current gen Prius already achieved 40/45 mpg and the next gen is likely to add on a least another 10 if not more.

Resources not spent developing trucks have been directed instead to cars, such as the Accord, enabling Honda to keep them at the top of their game.
Really? Apparently none of the resources had gone into making the Acura brand better, except uglier...

Articles like this one is why nobody reads Automobile magazine anymore.
Old 01-07-09, 04:27 PM
speed_Demo
Pole Position

The magazine praise him for leading the small engine segment/fuel efficient. Which Honda always have the reputation from small inline-4 powers/efficient. So really nothing new.

But most of the people here who disapprove Honda/Acura about the cancel project/dreams that many were hoping. I love them inline-4 that were coming out from Honda, but it would be nice to see them improve in other segment.

Just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: Honda reportedly kills S2000 replacement, V8 program, RWD Acuras