Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda reportedly kills S2000 replacement, V8 program, RWD Acuras

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-09, 06:24 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Saw this on another site. Sucks to know that this model........could have been. Oh well.

Oh what the..... damn you Honda!! That concept looks pretty slick!
Old 01-08-09, 06:00 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSteg
The current TL is already a damn large car. It's within the size of the Toyota Avalon..he|| it's even bigger than the RL. Any bigger and you'll have a car the size of the 80s Cadillac. However I dont think it's necessarily a bad idea to offer a larger Honda. Toyota has its Avalon, Nissan has its Maxima, and etc.
Well to be fair the Maxima shrunk.

Originally Posted by ffpower
Well... apparently Honda is big enough to design and build a jet. Oh, let's also not forget about that robot which falls down when going upstairs...

Dear Honda,

Sure building a jet was always the dream of the founder of Honda, Soichiro Honda but how about taking care of your core business first before pursuing some wild dream of yours huh? When your luxury brand is in a mess what makes your think that going into the aviation industry is actually a good idea? If you thought building a car requires a lot of R&D then boy, I am sure now you know how much more R&D is required to design a jet, even a tiny one like yours.

It's time for you to go back to work, stop fooling around.

Yours truly,

ffpower
That's I think one of the major problems with Honda. They like to do things their own way. They made the S2000 as a gift to itself as well as the NSX. They don't really do anything for their customers or fanbase. Honda is a mess right now. Despite how many people thought that the Acura grille was fugly, they made it anyway. The new TL looks cheap with it's awkward 12 year old art project car styling.
Old 01-08-09, 07:17 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Wait, so the V8 and RWD are not canceled? Or the letter just said something like "we will be tier 1 without the V8 and RWD"?

If the former is true then I hope Acura can get them to the market ASAP. If the later is true then I want the good stuff that he is smoking...
Old 01-09-09, 01:05 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've always said VTEC is a crutch and a blindfold for Honda...

/edit - that S2K concept is sexy, looks like a cleaner Scirocco. You've could have done it, Honda.
Old 01-09-09, 04:47 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So base on the link above it seem the the V8 and RWD is moving forward.

I hope it's true, they been draggin their feet way way too long.

Last edited by wmb0000; 01-09-09 at 04:52 AM.
Old 01-09-09, 08:23 AM
LexFather

The link is not true. Every major publication acknowledges the original post, including EVO. The V-8 and RWD program is dead.
Temple of V-Tech is one of the worst sources for anything. If you want a good laugh, read some of the posts. The good Honda/Acura fans know to avoid that site and have stated so.

I've looked around and there are others posting of the same meeting I posted about a few weeks ago with the heads of Acura and the dealers.

What are you going to believe? A unicorn link or what we have actually seen besides lies and utter b.s? NOTHING.

Oh and that S2000 concept is very nice but rumors were it was going to be Civic based if it was produced. WTF?

Old 01-09-09, 08:26 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

I will stick with the original until I see a real proof that says otherwise... something like a copy of that letter.
Old 01-09-09, 01:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Oh and that S2000 concept is very nice but rumors were it was going to be Civic based if it was produced. WTF?
A front-drive S2000? You've got to be kidding.
Old 01-09-09, 01:34 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A front-drive S2000? You've got to be kidding.
No way.
Old 01-09-09, 02:04 PM
LexFather

I am not saying it was going to be FWD, just it was going to be Civic based according to R&T, EVO and CAR magazine.

Old 01-09-09, 02:11 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I am not saying it was going to be FWD, just it was going to be Civic based according to R&T, EVO and CAR magazine.
Thanks for clarification.

Hmmm, Civic engine mounted lengthwise in front with reverse mounted transaxle in the back for 50/50 weight distribution maybe......
Old 01-09-09, 02:22 PM
speed_Demo
Pole Position

If they make that car the new Civic, get ready for another street import race scene. Every able body high school/college kids will get their hand on that design. Power/fuel efficient and hopefully cheap price making it a killer deal.

Last edited by speed_Demo; 01-09-09 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-09-09, 05:34 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Well no one can argue or dispute with me with what I've said for years about Acura. Its just ghey. Period.
Actually, I thought the whole purpose of "Car Chat" was to discuss cars. If people want to argue with you or dispute anything you say, it should be possible in a spirit of civil conversation.

Some people (many people? almost all people?) here vigorously argue that Acura can't be a serious luxury brand in the U.S. without RWD cars and a V-8 engine. They may be right. But to unilaterally declare that this opinion is the only correct one and that it can't be argued with or disputed is the height of arrogance.

For just ONCE, can we please have a Honda/Acura thread that doesn't instantly devolve into over-the-top histrionics? Can we share our opinions without trying to belittle (or in reality, eliminate) any dissenting views?

Here's one dissenting view: While I'm disappointed in all these cutbacks, if they are true, we should at least remember that Honda has a pretty solid line-up as things stand today. And without lapsing into wistful dreaming of "what could have been" at Acura, their current lineup is also made up of well-built, well-equipped (albeit ugly-beaked) vehicles. The sky is not falling, and there's no reason to talk about shuttering Acura as a brand at this point.

That being said, if the report in this thread is true then perhaps Honda really is mortgaging their future in an overly conservative effort to weather the current storm. I'm reminded of an interview I just read from a big-wig at LG Electronics from the CES. He said that while LG expects sales to go down for the next few years, they see it as a golden opportunity to increase their market share at the expense of their more-scared competitors. Therefore they are increasing R&D spending, taking advantage of lower supply and material costs to increase production, and expanding their product lines. That sure seems like a brilliant approach to me, and one that we could probably all agree would serve Honda better than a retrenchment away from anything new or exciting.
Old 01-09-09, 05:41 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by Iceman
That being said, if the report in this thread is true then perhaps Honda really is mortgaging their future in an overly conservative effort to weather the current storm. I'm reminded of an interview I just read from a big-wig at LG Electronics from the CES. He said that while LG expects sales to go down for the next few years, they see it as a golden opportunity to increase their market share at the expense of their more-scared competitors. Therefore they are increasing R&D spending, taking advantage of lower supply and material costs to increase production, and expanding their product lines. That sure seems like a brilliant approach to me, and one that we could probably all agree would serve Honda better than a retrenchment away from anything new or exciting.
People are withholding from spending far too much. The economy needs money being spent to be able to "restore" itself. It's not the only factor but consumers can stimulate the economy by spending. I mean don't go out and buy stuff you can't afford (that's the other edge of the blade) but don't hold onto everything and hoard your money. Spend smart but still spend.
Old 01-09-09, 05:54 PM
DrUnBiased
Pole Position

The link is not true. Every major publication acknowledges the original post, including EVO. The V-8 and RWD program is dead.
Temple of V-Tech is one of the worst sources for anything. If you want a good laugh, read some of the posts. The good Honda/Acura fans know to avoid that site and have stated so.

I've looked around and there are others posting of the same meeting I posted about a few weeks ago with the heads of Acura and the dealers.

What are you going to believe? A unicorn link or what we have actually seen besides lies and utter b.s? NOTHING.

The TOV is actually one of the best sources for Honda and Acura related news. The owners are very close with Honda and are commonly given secret information about future products. What website do the "good" Honda and Acura fans get their info from?

I'm also curious as to where else you have found postings regarding the meeting between Acura dealers you mentioned two days ago. Link? I've looked and I've only found it mentioned by you.

There is a big difference between something being published about Acura by a magazine and something being published by the Vice President of Acura. Something tells me that the VP of Acura knows more than the internet magazines. It doesn't matter if all the magazines have published the opposite. In my opinion VP>Magazines. Just my two cents.

Quick Reply: Honda reportedly kills S2000 replacement, V8 program, RWD Acuras