Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM unveils 2010 Buick LaCrosse (updated)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-09, 05:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I agree with those who don't think today's boomers will want to buy/drive the "luxury" cars of their parents. One just needs to look at what the boomers are driving today and for the past few years. It obviously hasn't been Buick, Caddy, Lincoln etc.
That has actually been more of a quality issue, rather than a sport-sedan issue. American car companies, fairly or not, have the image of building sub-standard, poorly-made, unreliable products (and a lot of that has been true until recently; some of it is still true). This has stuck with the Baby Boomers, and has been the main reasons they have stayed with imports, not because of the ride/handling questions.

Take BMW and Lexus, for example.The firmest, stiffest-riding, sportiest models, in general, are not being sold to Boomers my age, but to younger people like Generations X and Y. Many Boomer want imports that ride and handle like the old American cars they grew up with decades ago, but with more reliability....hence the sucess of vehicles like the soft-riding LS460, ES300/330, and Mercedes S550 (although, to be fair, Mercedes lost most of the reliability it once had). And Hyundai is now cashing in on some of the territory that used to belong to the Japanese.
Old 02-17-09, 05:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ffpower
mmarshall, I am not trying to argue with you about whether or not older people will ditch sport for comfort. As matter of that there are many young people out there who like the comfort of the Lexus over the sporty Bimmer.

What I am trying to say is that Buick doesn't have to be more sportier, but it has to be more technology-driven, appeared more advance and look more "modern". The new LaCrosse seems to be heading into the right direction. No matter what the Buick kool-aid its marketing people are trying to make us drink the reality is that the new LaCrosse isn't going to be much more "sportier" than the current version. They used the ES350 as the benchmark so just for that alone how much more sporty can the LaCrosse be?

Sure when people get older they tend to want softer rides, heck, I am 27 and sometimes I feel my lowered IS350 rides too firm! However, change is needed for Buick because soft or not, I know one thing for sure: the majority of the boomers don't want bench seat, column-mounting shifter and dated cabin design.
OK....we'll keep it at that. I don't feel like going on all night long about the issue either. You, me, LexBob2, and IS-SV have all pretty much had our say about it....and we have all made our points. I'm going on to another thread.
Old 02-17-09, 05:58 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Take BMW and Lexus, for example.The firmest, stiffest-riding, sportiest models, in general, are not being sold to Boomers my age, but to younger people like Generations X and Y. Many Boomer want imports that ride and handle like the old American cars they grew up with decades ago, but with more reliability....hence the sucess of vehicles like the soft-riding LS460, ES300/330, and Mercedes S550 (although, to be fair, Mercedes lost most of the reliability it once had). And Hyundai is now cashing in on some of the territory that used to belong to the Japanese.
My dad was not all about the ride of the Z4, the 3 series proved to be much nicer.
Old 02-17-09, 06:03 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I know most of the members on this forum know I hate American cars usually , but that is a very very beautiful car. They nailed it one this one. I am so happy to see that the American designers are learning to take some styling cues from the Japanese and the Germans
Old 02-17-09, 07:12 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by i8abmr
i know most of the members on this forum know i hate american cars usually , but that is a very very beautiful car. They nailed it one this one. I am so happy to see that the american designers are learning to take some styling cues from the japanese and the germans
+1, nicely put!!
Old 02-17-09, 07:16 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Wow.....the exhaust look exact like the current LS.....
Old 02-17-09, 10:24 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Threxx
Interesting. I don't expect this to set the under 30 crowd on fire per se, but I expect it to at least not be unheard of for the under 30s and fairly common for the 30-50 crowd, which is progress for Buick. Actually this car as a whole is a breath of fresh air for Buick and GM in general.

I'm 26 and am going to give this heavy consideration as replacement for my 335i come October.

I don't really care for the brown interior in the pics you quoted though... I hope they have something more black/silver in color. The interior itself is amazing... I just don't like brown interiors on almost ANY car. I hate the tan/wood interior on the 3 series, for example.
I thought you Bimmer guys were only allowed to buy more BMW's?
j/k...the 335i is a great car and in a different category than this.

But I agree with you that this will certainly have much greater appeal in the 30-50 crowd.

Originally Posted by bagwell
best looking Buick ever.....period!

this is the only Buick I have ever considered buying.....and I'd consider this waaaaaaaaaaaaay before the Hyundai Genesis
Ditto, good point.

Originally Posted by Threxx
The baby boomer generation isn't going to automatically start desiring giant floaty cars with bench seats, old school dash boards, and steering wheels that feel like they're controlling the rudder of a cruise liner, just because they're getting old.

Some taste in cars seems to be age-based but other taste in cars seems to be generationally based. My dad, at 70, is not going to want to drive the same sort of cars that his dad did at 70, nor will I when I'm 70.
Interesting that you seem to have an idea on how you'll feel 45 years from now. Times will change and so will attitudes.

As I've stated before, I absolutely think that there is a substantial need for luxury cruisers, that will appeal to mmarshall (j/k...you know I agree with you) and people looking for a comfy ride, rather than sportiness.

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Maybe that says that Buick should be targeting other age groups.
Isn't that exactly what Buick is doing by bringing vehicles like this and the Enclave to market?
Old 02-18-09, 06:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
As I've stated before, I absolutely think that there is a substantial need for luxury cruisers, that will appeal to mmarshall (j/k...you know I agree with you) and people looking for a comfy ride, rather than sportiness.

I'm not necessarily a big luxocruiser fan myself (though I admit they are nice and comfy for long trips)......for one thing, I don't like manuvering them in and out of tight parking spaces. But I just realize the necessity for them, that's all.....more so than most other people these days, and more so than the auto press itself, which has pretty much gone over to the worship of sportiness. No one, on any significant scale, is speaking up anymore for those who do like that type of car. I myself, though, was more or less converted to versatile, AWD daily drivers some time ago. IMO, Subaru is the top manufacturer for daily drivers.

But, to be fair, I'm probably going to review the new 2010 LaCrosse myself (yes, honestly and with an open mind) when it comes out. This car has obviously generated a lot of controversy here on CL (even apart from my comments), and certainly merits a detailed review. A number of you guys seem to be considering it as (maybe) your first Buick.....enough for me to consider that a review request. And I reviewed the old LaCrosse not long ago (yes, at CL member request), so I'll be able to objectively compare the new car to the old one.
Old 02-18-09, 06:53 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I think I overheard the rep say the LaCrosse was coming out this summer - August maybe?

I wonder if GM's financial problems will delay the rollout of new models, or they're already scheduled for production?
Old 02-18-09, 07:44 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I too avoid land barges, no fun at all to drive or park.

I like luxury, in fact when I chose the Lexus IS350 over the BMW 335 as a daily driver, reasons included were higher levels of luxury and refinement.

And speaking of Buicks, last year I had a Mercedes E350 for a week and it wasn't especially fun to drive but it was roomy, elegant and comfortable. I remember telling my wife that "this feels like a better German Buick". I understand why a few retired folks that I know own the E-class.
Old 02-18-09, 08:20 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I remember telling my wife that "this feels like a better German Buick".
Exactly!

People don't want sporty Buicks, what people want is better Buicks.
Old 02-18-09, 09:03 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buick is basically attempting to make a better Lexus ES350... so I doubt that the car is going to be tuned significantly sportier than the ES350 which is not at all a sporty vehicle. I'm pretty confident this car will remain tuned with a comfortable ride as a high priority, though hopefully it will incorporate more satisfying chassis dynamics while it's at it. You know, back in the day it seemed you either got a car that rode like a dream but drove like a nightmare, or a car that drove razor sharp but rode very rough... or some variant in between, but always a compromise.

These days it's possible for a car that rides very smoothly to drive and handle fairly competently. The problem with this is that some people's perception of what a 'smooth' ride is, is different from others. To me a smooth ride is not harsh and is well controlled. I don't mind feeling a bump when I go over it, in fact I'd prefer to, but I want the car to control it to where there's absolutely no drama during or after. To other people a smooth ride involves a wet noodle like chassis (think Lincoln Town Car, old Caddies, etc) where you could run over a 200 pound human and not be quite sure if you ran over anything or not. To me that's not a "smooth" ride, it's a disconnected or loose ride and in addition to being very uncommunicative with the driver, also leads to a ride that does isolate the driver from bumps, but does so in a way to where bumps are spread out over a longer period of time... the body will wallow or waver and shudder at a lower frequency than a controlled chassis... masking the bump by absorbing it over a longer amount of time and with a greater amount of flex.

Last edited by Threxx; 02-18-09 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-18-09, 09:10 AM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Can anyone say rip off of Lexus? lol
Old 02-18-09, 09:48 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I just saw the Lacrosse at the autoshow this past weekend. I just have to say....YAWN.
Old 02-18-09, 11:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Default Quote]

Originally Posted by IS-SV
, no fun at all to drive or park.

I like luxury, in fact when I chose the Lexus IS350 over the BMW 335 as a daily driver, reasons included were higher levels of luxury and refinement.
I've reviewed both. The 335 actually has a better ride/handling combo, and better chassis dynamics overall (and an xi AWD option). The IS350, of course, has better build quality, and has been more reliable.

And speaking of Buicks, last year I had a Mercedes E350 for a week and it wasn't especially fun to drive but it was roomy, elegant and comfortable. I remember telling my wife that "this feels like a better German Buick". I understand why a few retired folks that I know own the E-class.
No argumants there. The E350 is not only comfortable, but has a superb ride/handling combination as well. It is, IMO, one of M-B's best daily drivers, especially the AWD 4MATIC wagon version.

Quick Reply: GM unveils 2010 Buick LaCrosse (updated)