Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM unveils 2010 Buick LaCrosse (updated)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-09, 11:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
These days it's possible for a car that rides very smoothly to drive and handle fairly competently.
BMW and M-B are generally the best at that.

The problem with this is that some people's perception of what a 'smooth' ride is, is different from others. To me a smooth ride is not harsh and is well controlled. I don't mind feeling a bump when I go over it, in fact I'd prefer to, but I want the car to control it to where there's absolutely no drama during or after. To other people a smooth ride involves a wet noodle like chassis (think Lincoln Town Car, old Caddies, etc) where you could run over a 200 pound human and not be quite sure if you ran over anything or not. To me that's not a "smooth" ride, it's a disconnected or loose ride and in addition to being very uncommunicative with the driver, also leads to a ride that does isolate the driver from bumps, but does so in a way to where bumps are spread out over a longer period of time... the body will wallow or waver and shudder at a lower frequency than a controlled chassis... masking the bump by absorbing it over a longer amount of time and with a greater amount of flex.
A good post. I can generally agree with much of what you say here. My idea of a smooth ride is somewhere between the two...isolated, but not to the point of extreme float wallow.
Old 02-18-09, 11:33 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I've reviewed both. The 335 actually has a better ride/handling combo, and better chassis dynamics overall (and an xi AWD option). The IS350, of course, has better build quality, and has been more reliable.
Agreed, but nobody does luxury like Lexus (certainly not BMW and Mercedes), I've driven them all.

The Lexus attributes make daily driving a pleasure and the performance capabilities are very high, even if the chassis dynamics are not quite BMW or Mercedes-like. I like the BMW 335 coupe styling over the sedan, but the backseat access ends up making the backseat almost useless.

Last edited by IS-SV; 02-18-09 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-18-09, 11:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Agreed, but nobody does luxury like Lexus (not even BMW and Mercedes, maybe Jag though.
Luxury inside, yes, but the IS350 was notably rougher over bumps than even the 335's Sport package. It was not rougher over bumps, though, than the M3, which is borderline harsh. The IS-F, IMO, is even worse.....almost as harsh as the Mitsubishi Evo.
Old 02-18-09, 11:45 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Luxury inside, yes, but the IS350 was notably rougher over bumps than even the 335's Sport package.

I couldn't tell the rough ride/difference, but that's so subjective that is doesn't mean much.

My IS350 on 18's with the sport package is plenty smooth on the poorly maintained CA roads, but we obviously don't have the frost damage of the east coast.
Old 07-06-09, 09:10 AM
LexFather

Next Generation Mild Hybrid System:
http://www.motorauthority.com/report...the-works.html
"The new 2010 Buick Lacrosse has made waves with its attractive design and overall build quality since its unveiling at the Detroit Auto Show in January. Soon after that General Motors increased the appeal of the car by announcing that it will be available with not only a 3.0L and 3.6L V6, but also a new Ecotec 2.4L direct-injection four-cylinder.

According to a new report, a hybrid model is also expected in the near future.

Speaking with Ward’s Auto, GM's global vehicle line executive James Frederico appeared to confirm the hybrid LaCrosse but did not disclose exact timing. "We are always working on future applications for our hybrids," he said. "The exact introduction plans (will) be announced later by Buick marketing."

This revelation of a future hybrid LaCrosse comes just weeks after GM canceled its mild Malibu hybrid starting in the next model year. It’s also likely that with the new LaCrosse hybrid will be the introduction of GM's next generation BAS+ mild hybrid system. The Malibu and LaCrosse share similar chassis components and are built at the same facility. According to GM, the Malibu hybrid was canceled due to weak sales, and how this will translate into sales for a new LaCrosse hybrid remains to be seen.

GM has publicly stated it plans to have 14 hybrid models by 2012, with this apparently being one of them.

According to Frederico, "There is a future for alternative propulsion in our midsize vehicles, we're just not at the point to share any details.”

Old 07-06-09, 11:11 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The new LaCrosse was expected to be at dealers by mid June a few months ago. They're still not at dealers (I was just at the biggest Buick dealer in Memphis a couple hours ago)... wonder when they're going to show up? My dad is interested in checking this out as a replacement for their 05 Camry.
Old 07-06-09, 12:32 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
The new LaCrosse was expected to be at dealers by mid June a few months ago. They're still not at dealers (I was just at the biggest Buick dealer in Memphis a couple hours ago)... wonder when they're going to show up? My dad is interested in checking this out as a replacement for their 05 Camry.
Some of their advertising originally said coming in August but in the new C&D they have a full page ad which seems to give the impression it's available now.
Old 07-06-09, 12:39 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Some of their advertising originally said coming in August but in the new C&D they have a full page ad which seems to give the impression it's available now.
Well I know the dealers have had their orders placed for at least a month or two now. When I talked to one dealer at the end of May and they indicated they couldn't make any promises but they thought they'd probably be in around the end of June... but they still don't have them. I know the factory was producing them in June... but I'm not sure when they started or how long it takes from the start of production to initial delivery to dealers.
Old 07-06-09, 12:39 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

another mild hybrid drive system...dammit GM get your **** together!!!

pay Toyota some $$$ and get the Hybrid Synergy Drive a la Ford!!!!
Old 07-06-09, 12:48 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bagwell
another mild hybrid drive system...dammit GM get your **** together!!!

pay Toyota some $$$ and get the Hybrid Synergy Drive a la Ford!!!!
They'll have full hybrid cars and of course a full EV out in the next year or two. At this point paying Toyota for licensing would just be a waste of money and also tarnish their image as being incapable of coming out with their own hybrid systems. Ford licensed some hybrid tech from Toyota a few years back but now they've got their own superior hybrid systems and everybody (including maybe you it sounds like) thinks they still get their newest hybrid designs from Toyota, and thus they don't get as much credit as they should for cars like the 2010 Fusion Hybrid.
Old 07-06-09, 12:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,635 Posts

ford apparently never used ANY toyota technology, they simply went into a cross-licensing agreement to avoid any patent infringement issues, but ford developed its own system.

as for all this new gm hybrid technology... we'll see if government motors can deliver with bureaucrats breathing down its neck.
Old 07-06-09, 01:17 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ford apparently never used ANY toyota technology, they simply went into a cross-licensing agreement to avoid any patent infringement issues, but ford developed its own system.
Wow... well then it sounds like even I'm a part of the group who gave too much credit to Toyota... so probably good if GM avoids doing anything of the sort so long as they're making good progress. Half of the benefit of them getting on the hybrid bandwagon is just to show the world that Toyota isn't the god of green cars. It's a reputation thing more than a sales thing right now.

as for all this new gm hybrid technology... we'll see if government motors can deliver with bureaucrats breathing down its neck.
Hopefully so... I think it may be too soon to see much in the way of negative effects from the government. What I wonder about are the cars that are still in the midst of heavy development right now... is the government really screwing those cars up or are they smart enough to not try to micromanage the design process?
Old 07-06-09, 01:36 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hybrid is a good idea. Old people buy hybrids. Old people buy Buicks.

A mild hybrid idea isn't too shabby. If they could pair it with the 2.4L Ecotec engine and have an electric motor boost HP to an even 200, this car could get at least 35 MPG (if not more) Hwy with a Li-Ion battery. Hello CAFE standards.
Old 09-16-09, 02:21 PM
bimmerll
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Buick actually looks ok. I dont think I would ever buy it though
Old 09-16-09, 08:30 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

I really like the way the new LaCrosse looks. Very nice veihcle. The interior however is very weird looking.

Quick Reply: GM unveils 2010 Buick LaCrosse (updated)