Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM unveils 2010 Buick LaCrosse (updated)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-09, 06:08 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Is that a Lexus? No its a Buick.

http://www.buick.com/vehicles/2010/lacrosse/gallery.do

Well, since Mmarshall mentioned the buick in a recent PM i went to Buick's website and WOW . Thats all i can say. I never would have guessed that a Buick would catch my eye but man this thing looks incrediable.

Waiting on mmarshalls write up hopefully in the next week or two. Has GS styling written all over it IMO.. thats a good thing.

Check out the link...
Old 09-19-09, 06:52 PM
GRN MNSTR
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow that is NICE!
Old 09-19-09, 07:43 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

They even managed to copy L-Finesse from a side view haha.
Some interior controls (door and windows) plus some compartments are in the exact same place as they are on the GS. No wonder they are popular in China.
Old 09-19-09, 07:50 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the website link. Great photos and videos.

This car has huge presence. I can't believe it's a Buick. Simply brilliant.

Yeah, it makes certain elements of Lexus vehicles seem lacking. That's saying something. And Buick isn't even GM's luxury brand!

We do have, however,

an 11 page thread here...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-lacrosse.html

And a 7 page thread here...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-will-buy.html

Old 09-19-09, 07:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by YARIS!
Thanks for the website link. Great photos and videos.

This car has huge presence. I can't believe it's a Buick. Simply brilliant.

Yeah, it makes certain elements of Lexus vehicles seem lacking. That's saying something. And Buick isn't even GM's luxury brand!

We do have, however,

an 11 page thread here...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-lacrosse.html

And a 7 page thread here...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-will-buy.html

Thanks

merged

Old 09-19-09, 09:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The first time I saw this car in a magazine I did a double take because I thought it as a new Lexus. I have to say I am very very impresed. I wonder why it took these clown soooo long to get their **** together. I am not saying its too late to change their image, but all I am saying is is going to take a lot of cars like this to change the ****ty American car quality mentality that me and many consumers have.
Old 09-19-09, 11:13 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Thanks for mergering my thread. i didn't know there was one started already.

I can't beleive this is a Buick. The heads up display alone is worth it LOL...

can't wait for the review..
Old 09-19-09, 11:34 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am blown away as well. I think more so because I have little to no faith in American car quality. Yes they have gotten better but still nothing to brag about. I think this will change soon. I can see they have styling aspect moving ahead. Like Hyundai, only time will tell if we can trust them
Old 09-20-09, 12:18 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am blown away as well. I think more so because I have little to no faith in American car quality. Yes they have gotten better but still nothing to brag about. I think this will change soon. I can see they have styling aspect moving ahead. Like Hyundai, only time will tell if we can trust them
Same here. after owning a few mustangs back in the day my faith in American cars from cheap plastic interiors to the crappy paint has gone south. I just hope Buick is headed in the right direction. Seems like they are from this model. I'm curious to see how the interior,ride quality, and engine performance measures up to todays Japanesse and German cars. There build quality is second to none.

As someone mentioned in a earlier post the engine might suffer trying to haul 4000lbs of sheet metal around. They should have used a V8 for a larger car like that. Thats why this review from mmarshall is going to be techincal and straight forward..
Old 09-22-09, 07:07 PM
hughh
Pole Position

Very distinct looking auto, inside and out. Unlike some onehere said, I think the grill looks handsome. Certainly better than the 2010 ES 350! The new ES 350 has those cheap looking fog lamps...they screwed-up the looks!

My GS 350 lease will run out this spring. I'll certainly check this car out!
Old 11-15-10, 05:39 AM
LexFather

$30k 2012 Buick Lacrosse eAssist to achieve 25/37mpg (city/highway)

Buick unveils the 2012 LaCrosse with eAssist,™ a new fuel-saving technology that increases fuel economy by 25 percent compared to the four-cylinder/six-speed powertrain in the 2011 LaCrosse. The eAssist technology provides class-leading highway fuel economy of 37 mpg, while maintaining the luxury, performance and value expected from Buick’s flagship sedan.

The eAssist system becomes the standard powertrain on LaCrosse starting next summer. The system uses a state-of-the-art lithium-ion battery system and electric motor-generator to enable regenerative braking capability to improve LaCrosse fuel economy by an estimated 25 percent.

“The LaCrosse with eAssist technology is the latest example of how this successful car – with sales up more than 200 percent for the year – is shaking up the segment and helping to reinvent Buick,” said John Schwegman, vice president of Buick marketing. “It is the smart choice for those who want great fuel economy and performance in a luxury vehicle, with excellent value – the LaCrosse with eAssist will cost thousands less than competitors with similar technologies.”

Mated to a 2.4L Ecotec direct injection four-cylinder engine and next-generation six-speed automatic transmission, the eAssist system uses power stored in the battery to provide needed electrical boost in various driving scenarios, optimizing engine and transmission operation. An advanced 115V lithium-ion battery and latest-generation 15-kW motor-generator unit help increase fuel economy
http://media.gm.com/content/media/us.../1115_lacrosse

Old 11-15-10, 06:41 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The eAssist technology provides class-leading highway fuel economy of 37 mpg, while maintaining the luxury, performance and value expected from Buick’s flagship sedan.
Lucerne...?

Also, fantastic fuel numbers. Looks like this car is going to be a mild hybrid? Bold move to make it the standard powertrain.
Old 11-16-10, 11:22 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

That's quite a significant jump over the 19/30 for the 2.4L. Dare I say that your highway trip in a LaCrosse could be more frugal than a Volt? Time will tell.
Old 11-16-10, 11:59 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Wow. 37 mpg in a full size Buick with only a mild hybrid assist?

Hey Honda, are you taking notes?
Old 11-16-10, 01:10 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Wow. 37 mpg in a full size Buick with only a mild hybrid assist?

Hey Honda, are you taking notes?
Mild might make the most sense.

What I don't understand about Honda is that their mild hybrids don't offer what Toyota's full hybrids offer, but they still command the same premium. It's not worth it.

But recall that the Malibu hybrid only commanded around a $1000 premium, yet offered 4 MPGs. For minimal investment you get a few extra MPGs and with Li-Ion tech you get a few more. So if the LaCrosse is gonna get 7 more MPG and cost around $1000 more, I'd being willing to pay for it. Even for $1500 more it would be worthwhile.

How bout a mild hybrid Cruze?

Last edited by SLegacy99; 11-16-10 at 01:14 PM.

Quick Reply: GM unveils 2010 Buick LaCrosse (updated)