Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM unveils 2010 Buick LaCrosse (updated)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-09, 11:10 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The current LaCrosse, looks-wise, IMO, is FAR better.
Wow mmarshall, you are OLD...

Old 01-08-09, 11:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ffpower

Old?

Friend, I had two Buicks at age 19.....barely out of high school, and liked them both. The media-ingrained idea of Buick as only an "old man's" car is pure nonsense. ...total BS.
Old 01-08-09, 11:20 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah right...

No... seriously. I'm ready to move into something more comfortable, lower cost, and something I can trust more over the long term since I won't be leasing. Granted if it drives like a waterbed I won't be interested but if it's anything like I expect it will be considering what I've read about its overall design, it will actually have a very good ride/handling compromise.

Doesn't impress me much at all. It just doesn't look like a BUICK. It's too jelly-bean-shaped, the dash doesn't have enough wood trim on it, and the interior, on the whole, is too curvaceous. The current LaCrosse, looks-wise, IMO, is FAR better. Of course, I can't comment on the drivability without actually getting behind the wheel, but I'd bet the last dollar on the monthly rent it has a firmer suspension and lower-profile tires than the current model, which means a stiffer ride.
Your opinion is certainly valid and is likely even a fairly common opinion among Buick's most traditional (in other words retired) buyers, but from everything I've read Buick is trying to appeal to a broader and younger audience with its new models and become a modern luxury brand instead of a traditional luxury brand. So this is the down side of it... some people, such as yourself, will be somewhat turned off, whereas some people (such as the large majority of the population) will see this as a big improvement.

The only question that remains is will people be able to look past the badge's reputation as an older person's brand and give it an honest shot?
Old 01-08-09, 11:22 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Friend, I had two Buicks at age 19.....barely out of high school, and liked them both.
What year was that?

Times are a changing mmarshall, now a days young buyers wouldn't want to be caught dead in a Buick let along driving one. If Buick wants to get rid of the perception of being "old men's cars" then they have to change their designs inside and out.

The new LaCrosse shows that they are on the right track.
Old 01-08-09, 11:25 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
The only question that remains is will people be able to look past the badge's reputation as an older person's brand and give it an honest shot?
Call me shallow but I have to be honest here and say...

I can't.

Sorry Buick, the LaCrosse looks like a really really good car but I just can't see myself driving a Buick.
Old 01-08-09, 11:45 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This is a beautiful car! The design of this car makes the Lexus ES350 dated by comparison.. I can see Buick producing a modern day GNX with the CTS-V's supercharged V8.. Way to go GM!
Old 01-08-09, 12:12 PM
Yay-Z
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I can't say I;m not impressed. GM is stepping up big time!!!!!
Old 01-08-09, 12:23 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry Buick, the LaCrosse looks like a really really good car but I just can't see myself driving a Buick.
That's exactly where I stand on putting my money down.

Or from an economic standpoint, I find the rate of depreciation on a Buick to be unacceptable.
Old 01-08-09, 12:24 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am tired of American car companies making their cars look Asian. TO be honest this and the Lincoln MKS look similar and both look like nicer Camrys.
If Buick should look more American, what would it look like? There probably has not been a really desireable looking Buick since the Grand National/GNX. And I don't see Buick going the Chrysler 300 or Caddy CTS styling route.

I think it's easier for Buick to lure Lexus, Acura and Infiniti buyer than those of German makes, so, naturally, the styling is going to closer mimic Japanese cars.
Old 01-08-09, 12:24 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Old?

Friend, I had two Buicks at age 19.....barely out of high school, and liked them both.
Those were the good old days
Old 01-08-09, 12:26 PM
LexFather

Doesn't impress me much at all. It just doesn't look like a BUICK. It's too jelly-bean-shaped, the dash doesn't have enough wood trim on it, and the interior, on the whole, is too curvaceous. The current LaCrosse, looks-wise, IMO, is FAR better. Of course, I can't comment on the drivability without actually getting behind the wheel, but I'd bet the last dollar on the monthly rent it has a firmer suspension and lower-profile tires than the current model, which means a stiffer ride.
Mike its kinda funny/cool we are 2 of the biggest Buick supporters here and we both don't like how the new one looks. Yet everyone else does. Whats even more cool/odd is our ages are different.

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
This is a beautiful car! The design of this car makes the Lexus ES350 dated by comparison.. I can see Buick producing a modern day GNX with the CTS-V's supercharged V8.. Way to go GM!
That is ridiculous. THen it makes BMWs, Benz's and Infiniti's look dated too. One of the few strong features of the ES is its styling.

Old 01-08-09, 12:27 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah right...

yeah right...
Old 01-08-09, 12:30 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Old?, just kidding...

But for car makers this is a real issue. One of the top car makers (Toyota) is very concerned above the average age of it's buyers, therefore we see the successful Scion division making inroads into a youthful buyers market.
Old 01-08-09, 12:30 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I think it looks good!! The grill maybe a little off IMO, but the overall design is very fresh. And this car looks HUGE!!! GM is on a roll with the designs. I hope they keep it up. To bad the AWD is not available on the larger V6 though.
Old 01-08-09, 12:44 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mike its kinda funny/cool we are 2 of the biggest Buick supporters here and we both don't like how the new one looks. Yet everyone else does. Whats even more cool/odd is our ages are different.

Cool, I'm not young and I know Buick's main reason to continue to exist relates to it's success at selling cars in China. But on topic, that's a nice-looking Buick.

Quick Reply: GM unveils 2010 Buick LaCrosse (updated)