Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM unveils 2010 Buick LaCrosse (updated)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-09 | 02:22 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

The Opel Insignia almost looks Passat CC good

Old 01-08-09 | 02:34 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
The Opel Insignia almost looks Passat CC good

Wow, now that's a aggressive-looking sedan.
Old 01-08-09 | 02:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
I'm sorry, but the current LaCrosse is trash.
Its reliability record is better than some Toyotas and Hondas.

It's time to move on for Buick if they want to survive, and sticking to second rate, under developed garbage (which is what the current car is), will not work. Those 70-80 year old hard core buyers won't be there in ten years. It's about time GM made a bold move. Looks great.
Of course, some of those 70-80 year-olds won't be there. But they will be replaced by MORE 70-80-year olds. A LOT more. The largest generation in history (the post-WWII Baby Boomers) is set to retire soon. These are the people who drove the Mustang, Impala SS, Camaro, Firebird, Charger, etc..... back in the 60's. They don't have as many qualms about buying American as succeeding generations do....especially now that the average American-designed car is better than it was in the 80s and 90s.

Like it or not, Friend, America is graying. Buick, if it plays its cards right, keeps making nice plush luxo-riders, and doesn't turn its cars into sport-sedan BMWs like Cadillac did, will be waiting for them.....sales and $$$$$$.

If Buick does what you suggest and BMW-izes their cars, it is going to lose a lot of sales.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-08-09 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-08-09 | 02:50 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Yes some Buicks are more reliable than Toyotas and Honda, there are always exceptions. Most Toyotas and Hondas are more reliable than Buicks.

Buick and GM's problems are not so much an age problem (and I'm old enough to have an older person's perspective).

Mediocre/antiquated products like the one reviewed here being built by a poorly managed, bloated, debt-ridden, unionized company on the verge of collapse are a sign of much bigger problems than the average age of the typical Buick buyer.

And who knows what the average education and income level is of the Buick driver....
Old 01-08-09 | 02:52 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
I'm sorry, but the current LaCrosse is trash.

Correction, somewhat reliable trash.
Old 01-08-09 | 02:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes some Buicks are more reliable than Toyotas and Honda, there are always exceptions. Most Toyotas and Hondas are more reliable than Buicks.
Buicks, in general, are above average in reliability. But they are not the only reliable American-designed products. Most recent Ford products, according to Consumer Reports, are also reliable, except for a few trucks/SUVs.

Don't get me wrong, guys. I'm not a Buick-O-Phile, though I have a lot of respect for the nameplate. In many areas, I STILL prefer Asian nameplates....I drive a Subaru myself (after having a Lexus and joing CL). But the point that some people just don't want to accept is that Ford, and to a lesser extent, GM, has moved away from its dark past in reliability....Chrysler still has some distance to go.
Old 01-08-09 | 03:03 PM
Slick85
Driver School Candidate

I think this looks nice, not crazy about how american car companies LOVE their crome....i find it looks cheap. Also not a fan of the interior, looks like they're trying to hard.

On another note, of course this car makes the ES look dated...the ES is an older car, this is brand new. What happens if this car makes the geezers go elsewhere and Buick doesn't attrack the younger crowd?
Old 01-08-09 | 03:08 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Buicks, in general, are above average in reliability. But they are not the only reliable American-designed products. Most recent Ford products, according to Consumer Reports, are also reliable, except for a few trucks/SUVs.

Don't get me wrong, guys. I'm not a Buick-O-Phile, though I have a lot of respect for the nameplate. In many areas, I STILL prefer Asian nameplates....I drive a Subaru myself (after having a Lexus and joing CL). But the point that some people just don't want to accept is that Ford, and to a lesser extent, GM, has moved away from its dark past in reliability....Chrysler still has some distance to go.
I know about Ford's reliability, my father was a retired Ford employee, but we are talking about Buick's geezer-pleasing relic here. I see your point above people recognizing the improved quality of recent years of GM, Fords.

I owned a 2006 GM truck for 2.5 years and it actually had acceptable or average reliability. Fortunately I sold it before the dealer closed.

My retired mother has a Subaru Impreza and it's a very reliable and sturdy 4wd and decent driving car.

I like fine machinery and have owned several cars. I've owned Ford, Honda, Acura, Jeep, Porsche, Lexus, Mercedes, Jag, GM, Mazda, Toyota to name a few.
Old 01-08-09 | 03:25 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

Buick and GM's problems are not so much an age problem (and I'm old enough to have an older person's perspective).

Mediocre/antiquated products like the one reviewed here being built by a poorly managed, bloated, debt-ridden, unionized company on the verge of collapse are a sign of much bigger problems than the average age of the typical Buick buyer.

And who knows what the average education and income level is of the Buick driver....
Looks like someone received a wonderful education...

You sound like a total idiot. Oops, I don't think I was supposed to say that.
Old 01-08-09 | 03:38 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rosskoss
Looks like someone received a wonderful education...

You sound like a total idiot. Oops, I don't think I was supposed to say that.
Who knows what your problem is? Read the rules above forum behavior please.
Old 01-08-09 | 03:43 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

What is my problem? You sounded like a total idiot trying to push people's buttons with every post. Either that or you truly are ignorant. I'm not sure which is worse.
Old 01-08-09 | 03:44 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Wow, I thought Buick was part of GM, an unstable, debt-ridden, bloated, poorly managed company.
Aston Martin use to be a part of Ford. I guess they were crappy back then too huh

I'm liking the looks. However, I dont agree that it should be on a Buick nameplate. Had it been under a chevy nameplate, I'd have no problems with it. Buick should be synonymous with cushy riding cars with little to no sports intention (GNX is a different story). It's like having Ferrari turning all their cars to full on soft-riding luxury cars, and rolls royce cranking out *****-to-the-wall sports cars.
Old 01-08-09 | 03:44 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rosskoss
What is my problem? You sounded like a total idiot trying to push people's buttons with every post. Either that or you truly are ignorant. I'm not sure which is worse.
Again, educate yourself on proper forum behavior. You'll be fine.
Old 01-08-09 | 03:45 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Probably the lack of a wonderful education?

I kid I kid...
Old 01-08-09 | 03:46 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
Aston Martin use to be a part of Ford. I guess they were crappy back then too huh

I'm liking the looks. However, I dont agree that it should be on a Buick nameplate. Had it been under a chevy nameplate, I'd have no problems with it. Buick should be synonymous with cushy riding cars with little to no sports intention (GNX is a different story). It's like having Ferrari turning all their cars to full on soft-riding luxury cars, and rolls royce cranking out *****-to-the-wall sports cars.
Aston Martin was sold by Ford recently, they weren't especially reliable before that either. btw-I haven't owned one.

Quick Reply: GM unveils 2010 Buick LaCrosse (updated)