Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM unveils 2010 Buick LaCrosse (updated)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-09, 03:48 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rosskoss
What is my problem? You sounded like a total idiot trying to push people's buttons with every post. Either that or you truly are ignorant. I'm not sure which is worse.
Are you looking in the mirror? Or just posting while intoxicated?
Old 01-08-09, 03:54 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Aston Martin was sold by Ford recently, they weren't especially reliable before that either. btw-I haven't owned one.
There are only a handful of manufacturers that still build reliable vehicles across the board and it just so happens that most of them belong under an Asian brand. I think it's just unfair to criticize Buick because it's owned by GM.

Porsche is very well ran, having some of the highest profit margins in the industry, yet their cars aren't exactly reliable. My uncle owned 2 porsche 911 turbo and each one had its fair share of problems.
Old 01-08-09, 04:02 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Wink

Originally Posted by GSteg
There are only a handful of manufacturers that still build reliable vehicles across the board and it just so happens that most of them belong under an Asian brand. I think it's just unfair to criticize Buick because it's owned by GM.

Porsche is very well ran, having some of the highest profit margins in the industry, yet their cars aren't exactly reliable. My uncle owned 2 porsche 911 turbo and each one had its fair share of problems.
Agreed, Porsches are not and have never been especially reliable, I've owned many of them and know. But Porsche is not mired in debt with tons of legacy costs sinking it. Porsche is considered by many to be the best independent car company today.

Any buyer of a GM car (Buick included) has the same concerns about GM's debt load, inflexible unions, cash shortage, poor product mix, outdated factories, poor leadership, pension costs, etc. These are just fundamental business issues. I'm not singling out Buick on those basic business issues.
Old 01-08-09, 04:46 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Again, educate yourself on proper forum behavior. You'll be fine.
You too. Don't forget to wear your gold chains.
Old 01-08-09, 04:56 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rosskoss
You too. Don't forget to wear your gold chains.
Thanks. Do I need to buy a Vette before I buy the chains?
Old 01-08-09, 05:01 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Its reliability record is better than some Toyotas and Hondas.

If Buick does what you suggest and BMW-izes their cars, it is going to lose a lot of sales.
I wasn't talking about reliability, I was talking about the trashy nature in which the car was designed, engineered and built. I am not suggesting they BMW-ize their cars (never said that), I am suggesting they get into the 21st centry and start building a quality automobile, with quality engines, features, and build. That is exactly what they seem to have done with this latest car, and they deserve immense credit for that.

Buick is already on the verve of collapse, so I completely fail to see the coin in your logic that if they continue on their current trajectory (catering to 75 year olds who only buy based on brand marque), which includes pushrod engines, painful build quality, and intolorable levels of functionality, then they will somehow make a miraculous comeback against the true quality automobiles from the likes of Lexus, Lincoln, and even Hyundai. That is a strait path to failure and is not a long term solution. America's aging baby boomers are not going to spend their hard earned money, at these price levels, for some antiquated half-assed car, which is exactly what Buick is trying to peddle to their customers with the current LaCrosse. It may work in China, but not here. The Genesis, MKS, and even Acura TL all wipe the floor clean compared to the current garbage LaCrosse. It's easily the worst car in it's class, from build quality to powertrains, to features. It's not going to get Buick anywhere. Thankfully somebody inside GM finally realized that.
Old 01-08-09, 05:04 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Rosskoss & IS-SV - please exit this thread from this point forward.

Other members please keep this conversation about your perspective on the topic of the vehicles and not the people posting in this thread.
Old 01-08-09, 05:28 PM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts

[QUOTE=Coco-bun;4144225]looks nice, but like the Genesis, it reminds me of everything
Front: infiniti g
side: lexus gs
rear: lexus ls

I agree
throw in a Mazda 6 somewhere in there too.

Reason why it looks good b/c it's following the path of hyundai-hodge podge designs
Old 01-08-09, 05:46 PM
skinny gs
Rookie

Wow Buick is right on top of everything. They have styling reminiscent of the 2006 GS that took forever to debut. It sounds like they are 4 years behind in that particular department.
Old 01-08-09, 06:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
I wasn't talking about reliability, I was talking about the trashy nature in which the car was designed, engineered and built. I am not suggesting they BMW-ize their cars (never said that),
I'm sorry, then, if I misjudged your statements. That was what it seemed like to me.

Yes, the current LaCrosse has some dated technology, but that doesn't necessarily make it trashy. A lot of Subarus, for instance (and Subaru is anything but a trashy car), also come with 4-speed automatics.

I am suggesting they get into the 21st centry and start building a quality automobile, with quality engines, features, and build. That is exactly what they seem to have done with this latest car, and they deserve immense credit for that.
We'll see. I will certainly review it when it is available....and I will do so with an open mind. When I go review a car, I always put my first Internet impressions in the back seat and start over from scratch, so I can make a fair and unbiased judgement. And I've been surprised before by actual reviews and test-drives of cars that I didn't care for at first glance in pictures (like this). After all, that is how I found out that Hyundai was finally making good cars.....I didn't believe it for a long time myself.

Buick is already on the verve of collapse, so I completely fail to see the coin in your logic that if they continue on their current trajectory (catering to 75 year olds who only buy based on brand marque),
See, that's just it. Buick is NOT just a geezer nameplate. That is a false notion that has been fed by the automotive press....and many have believed it. It is true (and I won't deny it)that their average age is somewhat higher than most marques, but many not-so-old people drive them as well.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-08-09 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-08-09, 06:54 PM
Slick85
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmarshall
See, that's just it. Buick is NOT just a geezer nameplate. That is a false notion that has been fed by the automotive press....and many have believed it. It is true (and I won't deny it)that their average age is somewhat higher than most marques, but many not-so-old people drive them as well.
You have repeated this statement over and over again, but I've yet to see a non-geezer driving a Buick, so I think we are all just talking from our own experience which makes Buick hand and hand with geezers. When we start seeing more young people driving them then we will change our minds, but when someone says Buick the first thing that comes to my mind is old people, and the automotive press did not feed me anything, I made that conclusion all on my own.
Old 01-08-09, 07:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slick85
You have repeated this statement over and over again, but I've yet to see a non-geezer driving a Buick, so I think we are all just talking from our own experience which makes Buick hand and hand with geezers. When we start seeing more young people driving them then we will change our minds, but when someone says Buick the first thing that comes to my mind is old people, and the automotive press did not feed me anything, I made that conclusion all on my own.
OK, fair enough....I'll accept your word on what you yourself see. Admittedly, I see a lot of geezers driving them, too....there's no denying that. But I see non-geezers, too......maybe 10-20%.
Old 01-08-09, 07:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

OK....I think we've argued the geezer/non-geezer issue with Buicks enough.....and I realize I was partly to blame for taking the thread a little off-topic.
Let's stick to the thread topic now....the new 2010 model (I will). The mods will probably bump us back on track if we don't.
Old 01-08-09, 07:06 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

I am going to declare this...

I will go into a Buick dealership , test drive the new LaCrosse and write a review about it.

mmarshall, we should compare notes afterward.
Old 01-08-09, 07:07 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Slick85
I agree. As mentioned earlier, JD Power reported that over 90% of Lucerne buyers were age 56 and up. In my opinion that makes Buick a brand that appeals to an older buyer. Nothing wrong with that, but facts are facts.

Whether they can lower that number with the new LaCrosse remains to be seen. I doubt that the automotive press has much influence on the typical Buick buyers decision.

Quick Reply: GM unveils 2010 Buick LaCrosse (updated)