Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM unveils 2010 Buick LaCrosse (updated)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-09, 07:07 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK, fair enough....I'll accept your word on what you yourself see. Admittedly, I see a lot of geezers driving them, too....there's no denying that. But I see non-geezers, too......maybe 10-20%.
If you consider the demographic numbers that I posted earlier, imo, the bottom line is that there is nothing wrong with it being a vehicle that is sustained by an "older" consumer.

I, personally, think that this version looks very good....even if it takes all of it's styling cues from other manufacturers.

If Buick continues to improve it's build quality and reliability, their future could be very bright. Their vehicles are already beginning to sell well in China, a market that has huge implications and potential. (Anyone ever consider that China might be willing/interested in relocating a major manufacturer onto domestic soil?)

As well, typically an "older" buyer isn't as interested in performance and technology and considers ride comfort and aesthetics as more important. Again, a perfect fit for Buick and a huge opportunity for growth.
Old 01-08-09, 07:07 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, fair enough....I'll accept your word on what you yourself see. Admittedly, I see a lot of geezers driving them, too....there's no denying that. But I see non-geezers, too......maybe 10-20%.
Your statement before was
but many not-so-old people drive them as well
Sorry but when 80-90% are "geezers" that doesn't leave "many" other drivers IMO. I agree they exist but the perception that exists *is* valid.

That said: I believe this car will go quite a way towards lowering the age but the question will be how much into "Euro" territory did they move it? Enough to not please the softer riding "Geezer" crowd? I know my father and father-in-law do not like interiors with "all those buttons" etc... They want to be able to read the instruments (large legible fonts), have a nice hip-height for easy entry/exit, and "simplified" controls for the basics.

I like this evolution but not sure the older demographic will.
Old 01-08-09, 07:27 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont like it. Look like an MKS, GS, and LS had a baby.
Old 01-08-09, 08:00 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

WOW! Absolutely stunning. The best sedan to ever come from GM along with the current CTS. THIS is why GM just shouldn't die.

This is unprecedented considering the POS the current Lacrosse is. This will finally attract people under 65 to Buick.
Old 01-11-09, 03:38 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Ummm....sorry, but this couldn't be farther from the truth. If you look at any demographic statistics for North America the overall population is increasing at the older end, not the younger. In today's age of smaller families and better birth control it is the older generation that is significantly increasing in size, not the younger one.

This population pyramid illustrates this:

http://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/ipc/id...t=Submit+Query

If anything, there will more likely be an even higher demand for Buick like vehicles over the next couple of decades that target "older" customers.
Demographic wasn't the best choice of wording... how about target market or target generation?

People don't automatically start like floaty big body cars with conservative styling when they get old. Buick's target demographic has been the people that grew up in an era where that sort of car was highly desired... thus as they got older and could afford to drive whatever they wanted to drive, they continued to buy Buicks, and for that matter big Cadillacs, Lincoln Town Cars, etc.

When the baby boomer generation starts moving into their senior years they're not going to want that type of car as a majority.
Old 01-11-09, 03:47 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I like the new Lacrosse.
Old 01-11-09, 03:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Demographic wasn't the best choice of wording... how about target market or target generation?

People don't automatically start like floaty big body cars with conservative styling when they get old. Buick's target demographic has been the people that grew up in an era where that sort of car was highly desired... thus as they got older and could afford to drive whatever they wanted to drive, they continued to buy Buicks, and for that matter big Cadillacs, Lincoln Town Cars, etc.
Agreed. This is true, to some extent.

When the baby boomer generation starts moving into their senior years they're not going to want that type of car as a majority.
I have to disagee here, though. I'm a member of that generation myself, and I see a number of my colleagues who are tired of harshly-sprung cars and want some cushy ride comfort. In fact, several years ago, one of my former supervisors (roughly my age) traded a soft-riding CAMRY in on a new Buick LeSabre (the Lucerne hadn't come out yet) because he thought the Camry, of all cars was too firm. Another one of my colleagues wanted a soft-riding car for his wife, who has a bad back. The list goes on and on.
Old 01-11-09, 05:46 PM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

looks nice, now they just have to market the hell out of it and make sure it's well built so that they don't put themselves out of business for good.
Old 01-11-09, 07:18 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx

I agree. Baby boomers have different tastes in cars vs. the previous generation. Their ideas of what constitutes luxury and performance is different, and they won't automatically want a Buick, Town Car etc. when they retire. Some no doubt will, but the majority will be looking for something different. I hope the new LaCrosse does well, but it won't be a huge hit with the boomers.
Old 01-11-09, 07:49 PM
tsavo
Pole Position

It's certainly a step-up from previous designs, but they've dug themselves such a hole that I doubt they will ever recover. Saying "I got that new Buick" just isn't remotely sexy or appealing in any way.
Old 01-11-09, 09:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

didn't read all the posts, but this came to mind on seeing the pics...

buick flying spur!
Old 02-17-09, 02:07 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
NAIAS 09: 2010 Buick LaCrosse

I saw the new LaCrosse in person at the Chicago Auto Show today and have to say it's quite impressive. The word striking comes to mind when thinking of the styling both inside and out. I didn't expect to be impressed. They had two on display and my guess is they have a winner. I think a version of this will be sold in China where Buick does very well with different engine options.

As I looked around at the people checking them out I noticed that it was a very "mature" crowd. The younger crowd was elsewhere in the show.
Old 02-17-09, 02:19 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I saw the new LaCrosse in person at the Chicago Auto Show today and have to say it's quite impressive. The word striking comes to mind when thinking of the styling both inside and out. I didn't expect to be impressed. They had two on display and my guess is they have a winner. I think a version of this will be sold in China where Buick does very well with different engine options.

As I looked around at the people checking them out I noticed that it was a very "mature" crowd. The younger crowd was elsewhere in the show.
Interesting. I don't expect this to set the under 30 crowd on fire per se, but I expect it to at least not be unheard of for the under 30s and fairly common for the 30-50 crowd, which is progress for Buick. Actually this car as a whole is a breath of fresh air for Buick and GM in general.

I'm 26 and am going to give this heavy consideration as replacement for my 335i come October.

I don't really care for the brown interior in the pics you quoted though... I hope they have something more black/silver in color. The interior itself is amazing... I just don't like brown interiors on almost ANY car. I hate the tan/wood interior on the 3 series, for example.
Old 02-17-09, 02:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2

I'm afraid that is where this car may fall flat on its face....with the older, "mature" crowd, and also with (some) younger people who like a smooth ride. The one featured at the D.C. show (I looked at it as closely as I could on the turntable) had low-profile tires that looked like about a 45-50-series or so. That is NOT the way to go with a Buick. People buy Buicks primarily for ride comfort....Buicks are famous for that, and if they try to turn the LaCrosse into a sport sedan, they will drive away their core customers in droves. What will happen is they they will gravitate either to the Lucerne, or, if Buick does the same thing with the Lucerne by "sportiftying" it, to used Buicks......the value of used Buicks will skyrocket with increased demand, and Buick will not be able to sell many new cars like it does now.

I spoke with the Buick people at the D.C. auto show about this matter, and they agreed that the company was taking a BIG chance.....and also taking a big chance with the hump-roof styling that is a lot like the VW CC and Mercedes CLS.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-17-09 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-17-09, 02:23 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

I'm afraid that is where this car may fall flat on its face....with the older, "mature" crowd, and also with (some) younger people who like a smooth ride. The one featured at the D.C. show (I looked at it as closely as I could on the turntable) had low-profile tires that looked like about a 45-50-series or so. That is NOT the way to go with a Buick. People buy Buicks primarily for ride comfort....Buicks are famous for that, and if they try to turn the LaCrosse into a sport sedan, they will drive away their core customers in droves. What will happen is they they will gravitate either to the Lucerne, or, if Buick does the same thing with the Lucerne by "sportiftying" it, to used Buicks......the value of used Buicks will skyrocket with increased demand, and Buick will not be able to sell many new cars like it does now.
As I've said so often in the past while tire series makes a difference and might be an indicator of the tune of a vehicle it's entirely possible to have a vehicle that rides smoothly using lower profile tires.

I think 17s are standard on the LaCrosse with optional 18s... what you saw was probably the 18" wheel CXS which has the magnetic ride control suspension capable of working wonders... but it's also the 'sport' model of the lineup as it features the more powerful engine as well. I bet the 17" wheels will have a less aggressive profile. A 55 series tire and proper suspension tuning can ride like a dream. Heck even a 45 series tire with the right suspension will ride great. Not like a water bed, but smooth none the less.

Quick Reply: GM unveils 2010 Buick LaCrosse (updated)